Ocho Rios? Good or Bad!

redpelican

So you booked this guide on your own and not through the cruiseline? I ask because my mom and I will be sailing in less than two weeks and this is one of our ports of call. My mom is very skeptical about this stop having heard so many bad things. Would you suggest this same excursion for two females or would it be better if we atleast had a male with us?

We used a personal guide when we stopped on a cruise ship. We had a great day. No bothering from any locals. Unlike you, we were two couples with one male each couple. We did see women on their own without any issues using local guides as well. We had a great day. We used Peat Taylor, but I have seen some bad reviews about him contracting his services out lately, so I would use some one with current good reviews. Good luck.

We have been to Ocho Rios three times aboard cruise ships. I am so glad our last visit wasn't our first impression or we would have never gone back. We knew we didn't have to walk through the market exiting Dunn River Falls, but the two female employees posted at the "Y" yelled at us and said "you are breaking the rules", "you must go that way." They were very intimidating and we felt forced to walk through the market. Then through the market we heard "why do you not like us", "why you not talk to us", "why you scared of us." I felt it was a very unpleasant experience.

I have read a lot of conflicting stuff about Ocho Rios on these boards and on the ship reviews. Quite a few say they would never go back because of the pushy vendors. One poster even said a guide tried to puit drugs in her DH hands. We are going there next March. Any thoughts? Anyone? Good and bad will be appreciated!:confused:

My family of 9, age range 63 to 6, including 3 grandchildren, stopped in Ocho Rios in February 2009. I prearranged a tour with Marva Shaw of Cyber Tours - http://www.knowjamaica.com -based on recommendations from Cruise Critic members.

Marva provided a very nice small bus just for the 9 of us. She and a very nice, young woman assistant took us wherever we wanted to go.

Marva took 6 of us river tubing on the White River and her assistant stayed with 3 family members at Mahogany Beach. We joined up later at the beach and, after we enjoyed ourselves for a while, Marva took us to a safe shopping area until it was time to return to the ship.

All of us felt safe and secure all day with Marva. She knows her way around Ocho Rios and she provides a great tour for much less than you would pay through the ship. We were not hassled by anyone during the entire day.

I strongly recommend her to anyone who wants a pleasant day in Ocho Rios.

We have experienced 2 different sides of Jamaica.

2 or 3 times from the All Inclusive side - Enjoyed and loved every minute of it.

2 or 3 times from the cruise side - vastly different experience :eek:

When I visitee Ochi, we were staying at Sandals and did one of their excursions to Dunns River. It was great. There were some vendors who kept pleading for us to stop by their areas, but we said no thank you and kept moving. We also visited Island Village and had no problem.

We weren't happy about Ocho Rios. The day started badly when we went into a Quonset hut where all the tour leaders are - except it was so disorganized that we wound up shuffling between three places before finding our group. And it was waaaayyyy too warm inside the hut.

We weren' too happy about the pushy vendors, either. It got so that after Dunn's River Falls, a group of us banded together so we run the gamut past all the vendors, almost literally on the run. (You had to go through the line of shops in order to get to the exit.) One woman near the end promised she'd leave us alone, but it was too late. We just wanted out of there.

I know you can't get that much from such a short period of time in a port, but we have no desire to go back to Jamaica. We were much happier in Grand Cayman, the next port - there's just no comparison.

We were much happier in Grand Cayman, the next port - there's just no comparison.

I agree that there's no comparison. We found Jamaica to be charming, beautiful, and exotic, and really liked all of the people we met. To us, Grand Cayman was soulless and commercial (although the stingrays were very cool- but now that we've seen them I don't see a reason to ever go back).

It's a good thing the world is big- that way we can ALL find something we like :)

I have not been to jamaica before but They can not be anymore pushy than the people in downtown cozamel. You have to realize these people are poor. They feel that anyone that can afford to take a cruise they have more money then them. So you just have to understand that they are just trying to live. Just a polite no thank-you and Thank the Good Lord that you are so much more blessed than others. It could be you there instead of them.

I have not been to jamaica before but They can not be anymore pushy than the people in downtown cozamel. You have to realize these people are poor. They feel that anyone that can afford to take a cruise they have more money then them. So you just have to understand that they are just trying to live. Just a polite no thank-you and Thank the Good Lord that you are so much more blessed than others. It could be you there instead of them.

Oh, I understand on both counts I have family in, and I've been to, Indonesia and the Philippines and it's the same thing. However - as my wife phrased it - "I'll buy something if they let me look."

It's just not our comfort level. We're both around people all the time at our respective jobs, and we'd rather not deal with similar people while we're on vacation.

We have experienced 2 different sides of Jamaica.

2 or 3 times from the All Inclusive side - Enjoyed and loved every minute of it.

2 or 3 times from the cruise side - vastly different experience :eek:

I was glad to read this...we did all inclusive in Jamaica a couple years ago and loved it. Did Dunn river through cool runnings booked through hotel. I had NO interest in venturing off resort without a guide. Something about how at the edges of the resorts, armed guards, dogs, and sign out sheets....scared me.

But, we had a great time. When we returned to from Dunns River we came in at the Ocho area where the cruise ships dock. I remember saying then that if we ever came here on a cruise, I'm enjoying the ship that day.

At a resort is the best way to experience Jamaica. IMO

Interesting that wannabe takes no responsibility for not researching tour guides. If you read this thread, there are a number of tour guides that hundreds of CC members have been delighted with. The time to find Cruise Critic was before you went, not upon your return.

I agree- I'd say no to private tour guides I know nothing about. But "YES" to the ones I've discovered through CC.

I am not one to stay on the ship. I want to experience new lands and new people while I am blessed with health and the ability to do so. However, I have avoided cruises to Jamaica due to the reviews I have read in the past. I am looking at a PC full transit cruise that makes one Caribbean stop - Ocho Rios!:eek: From reading this thread I have a feeling Ineed to stick with a ship tour or a private guide. (I book marked Marva's web page. Thank you for posting it!) We have a long time to research and plan - that's half the fun.;) I would also be interested in a AI resort for the day. Any suggestions?

I have a bit of a crazy question.

My 22 yr old daughter wants to get her hair braided in Ocho Rios while docked there, does anyone know if there were salons or something close by where she could get that done?

it s not a place if you have nt been there befor..to venture out alone or even as a couple..best to travel in a group..

though it s safe, it can be intimadating being approached constantly by vendors..take the advise of the many and stay polite..*no thankyou* with a smile will be your best weapon..;)

we took a ship tour bus back to the pier from Mystic Mtn..the driver said he d drop us off at the Taj. and gave us some coupon s for shopping at one of the shops..if your not up for shopping tell them to return you to the pier..the driver gets a kickback for delivering tourist..:rolleyes:

CCL is responsible for your safe return and what the driver did was a definite NO NO..a CCL security agent was waiting at the Taj..and confronted the offending driver, then rip d him a new one..:eek:..doubt the driver is still working with the ship tour group..

its safe..it s just OCHO s culture..they d probably be scared coming to America too..

Just a bit of info on hair braiding....many years ago, I had my entire head of hair braided on the beach of Freeport. It was cheap ($25.00?) and the woman did a beautiful job. I loved the result and it was very carefree. I left the braids in for about 2 weeks. When I removed them, my hair was absolutely tattered! My hairdresser said that if you have straight hair, it just breaks the hair off. I literally had handfulls of hair when I was washing it (all broken off, not falling out). Again, my braids were very tight and I did the entire head. Just a word of advice....I loved them and would do it again if not for the breakage.

I just got back from Jamaica. My group (4 of us) took a JUTA taxi with no problem. We went shopping, a short tour, and then swimming at Mahoghany Beach, and then back to the ship. The people were not pushy at all! They did ask,but once you said "no thank you", they left you alone. I was very apprehensive about going there after reading the comments on this board. They are hurting economically and I think word has gotten to most of them that they need to treat you with respect if they want your business. Have fun!

We are headed to Ocho Rios in November this year on the Destiny. We've always been skeptical because of what we've heard as well.....so I read this entire thread.

I am guessing/thinking that Ocho Rios is pretty much the same as Belize - if anyone here has been to both and can give a good comparison. When we were going there we were told not to wander off and not to go off alone. We did a ship sponsored excursion and didn't have any problems.

With Ocho Rios we're thinking that we'll book the Ocho Rios Highlights and Gardens Tour through CCL. Is this an excursion that is pretty much a "safe bet" so to speak? We'll also be traveling with our three young children (ages 5, 4 and almost 2). The almost 2 year old will definitely be with us but we're torn whether or not to let the other two stay on the ship. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
We have been to Ocho Rios three times aboard cruise ships. I am so glad our last visit wasn't our first impression or we would have never gone back. We knew we didn't have to walk through the market exiting Dunn River Falls, but the two female employees posted at the "Y" yelled at us and said "you are breaking the rules", "you must go that way." They were very intimidating and we felt forced to walk through the market. Then through the market we heard "why do you not like us", "why you not talk to us", "why you scared of us." I felt it was a very unpleasant experience.

Wife and I honeymooned at Couples in Ocho Rios 20 years ago. We loved it. Scary ride there and back, but otherwise a beautiful all-inclusive resort. Even back then, lots of pushy stuff at flea market. Lady tried to get us to take her baby back to the states! Good Lord.

Went back on a Conquest excursion last summer and had a nice time at Dunn's on a Carnival sponsored excursion. In Jamaica, I'd stick to a ship sponsored excursion because in my opinion, the place is too unpredictable. Don't want that ship leaving without you.

We'll be back in a few weeks on Conquest and really have no desire to do much. I never really felt at ease there.

I concur about the market experience leaving Dunns. I would offer a no thanks and sometimes add in the word respect. I think the folks mean well overall. Our guide was a nice lady. The fact that the country is so beautiful and so impoverished at the same time really gets to me. Tourism is vital for them but tourists don't feel altogether at ease. Part of it is just racism even if it's kept under the covers so to speak.

You fear what you don't understand.

For the first timer, definitely visit Dunns or do the zip line thing. Both quite beautiful. I might hit margaritaville for a drink, but not sure what the wife will want to do.

Archived