texting walkie-talkies

CatNJ

Could anyone suggest a texting walkie talkie that would work on the ships? Trying to figure out how to stay in touch. Thx! :)

The only one that I know of is the Hasbro ChatNow:

http://www.amazon.com/Chatnow-2-Pack-Flip-Silver-Communicators/dp/B000G0MIO0

It's an FRS device, so it's just like a regular Walkie Talkie. I do not know how they are encoding/decoding the text messages, however that may result in other people on the same frequency (ie "channel") hearing some squeeling like a fax machine.

And like all walkie talkies, the voice communication is almost certainly available to everyone. So treat it like a CB radio, and not like a cell phone. Don't say anything you wouldn't want everyone else with a walkie talkie to hear.

We have texting walkie talkies we take and they work pretty good. They are the trisquare tsx 300. They work on a different frequency than normal walkies so in addition to the text option you also don't get as much interference and the texting DOESN'T cost anything extra. The only thing I don't like about these are the color (camo) and they were more expensive than I originally planned on spending. But, since we've had them we get great use out of them. We even use them at home because we won't let our youngest have a cell phone yet.

Texting would be the same as using your cell phone to make a telephone call from the ship -- very expensive!

I have to disagree. It depends on your carrier. I checked verizonwireless last night to find out text prices, and its $.05 incoming and $.50 outgoing using the cruise ship prices. Calling with their plan from a ship is $2.49 minute. Yes that is expensive, but sometimes you can send a text and get your message across in one or two texts which would be much cheaper than a phone call.

However the OP is looking for a walkie talkie type item that can text.

"Staying in touch" on the ship isn't as hard as you might think! While the ships are large, much of the space are cabins, and unless it's YOUR hallway, that will take the ship down by about 2/3 in size! A note in the cabin works wonders!

Archived