Do you miss your dog or cat while you are gone?

suse

I do. I have a scottish terrier, who can get pesky, whom I really miss when cruising. I leave him with my vet, so he's in good hands, but it's a drag to leave him behind. Well, he's always with me, even when I work, so it's strange without him.

Yes, we have a Chocolate and a Black Lab, and we miss them like crazy when we are gone. In fact, we miss them so much, I tend to call home each day to see how they are. On our long cruises, we have the web cam connected, so we can see them when we talk to the house sitter. OK, so I'm a bit crazy.

We miss our two Springers. The go to "camp" while we are gone and are always mad at us for a few hours when we get home. My husband and I try to imagine what would happen if they were let loose in the Lido. It always makes us giggle.

Yes, we have a Chocolate and a Black Lab, and we miss them like crazy when we are gone. In fact, we miss them so much, I tend to call home each day to see how they are. On our long cruises, we have the web cam connected, so we can see them when we talk to the house sitter. OK, so I'm a bit crazy.

Aww that is a cute idea!

Our 2 year old Havanese is our baby, for sure. It's even hard to sleep the first few nights without her curled up beside us - and we think of her a lot. She stays with a daughter when we cruise, so at least she still has family ... but we sure do miss her!

I miss my Paddington terribly - he's a 10 lb., 18 month old, apricot (turning whiter by the day) malte-poo. Can you tell I named him just after returning from London? I took his picture with me to London last year, but think it made it worse as I propped it on my bedside table and saw him all the time. He'll be with a friend who will take super care of him, so I won't worry, but I'll sure miss him. She asked if I wanted her to bring him home the evening I get back or the next day - surely she jests! I won't be able to wait! He's spoiled rotten, and worth every bit of it.

I'm a cat person. I have my 3 "babies" that I miss when we take a trip. Diablo is my Siamese/tabby mix, Rebel is a tux, and Valkyrie is a calico. I used Kyrie's pic for my avatar. I've got their pictures in my cell phone and laptop so I can see them while we are away. I just don't sleep well without Dab tucked behind my knees or Reb swishing her tail across my face at night and purring in her sleep.

When we're traveling I miss our almost 16-year-old cat sooooo much. We raised her since she was 10 days old, she was abandoned and we took her in. The longest we've been away from her is 3 weeks, and it's hard.

We're very lucky to have a next-door neighbor who also loves cats. For the past 15 years we've cat-sat for each other, it's great to know someone is there who cares about her. :)

Gosh...our choices are only dogs and cats? We leave behind 36 residents on our animal rescue farm when we leave. :)

CJColor300dpi.jpg

Wow! Kudos to you for rescuing. My late DH and I had an informal cat rescue for years. It is expensive and time-consuming, so I know you must be committed to the work you're doing. Bravo (and Brava)!!!

I wish we could take our pets on a cruise -- it seriously would be cheaper to get them an inside cabin than to arrange all the various and sundry petsitters/kennels/vet visits we need.

We actually stopped travelling for a couple of years because one old kitty (who has since passed on) needed SO much special care to keep her well. Now we can cruise again for a while -- till the dog gets too old or infirm to be kenneled.

We miss our bird the most. And he's the hardest to find care for.

Memphis, my cat is 15 and on thyroid medication. She also believes she should be as near to me as possible every single second.

It is so odd not to have that constant presence and soft fur against me for a week!

Luckily I have friends that I dog sit for that will return the favor and give her her medication and look after her. But I will still miss her like crazy!

Gosh...our choices are only dogs and cats? We leave behind 36 residents on our animal rescue farm when we leave. :)

CJColor300dpi.jpg

We are so thankful for what y'all do, and wish y'all the very best.......we do miss our two dogs a lot and I do mean a lot......Aspen(lab) and Ladybug(mix lab and chow)......we did have a sitter come stay at the house, but things started happening while we were gone, so now we board at a really good kennel......don't think Sherri could be gone more than 10 days away from them.

Oh my, yes....the only sad thing about leaving on a cruise is Abigail Adams gets left behind. Abby tabby cat has a reliable sitter who cares for her in my home. She's still young and healthy, but I always leave authorization/ instructions with my vet in case she needs help.

The best thing about a cruise ending is I know I'll be seeing her soon!

She does prove she has missed me when I come in the door. On the other hand, she's spoiled by my sitter....so not as much as I miss her!

I can REALLY identify with this thread!! We have 2 Westies. The kennel has a webcam, but on our last cruise (Celebrity), the ship's computers weren't able to access it. I had a friend and my sister check it and email me reports. The friend tried to email photos of them at the kennel, but that didn't work well. We are getting a netbook for our Sept. cruise.

As much as we love to travel, it absolutely KILLS us to leave our dogs. I swear, they know when we get the suitcases out!! Last time, one of them kept getting in it, while it was open on the floor. We have bought Westie items during our travels in Europe. And, I introduce myself (to my husband's embarrassment) to every Westie I see. Actually, it's kind of fun, especially learning the names people give them in other countries!! It's a good way to talk to the locals, and the people seem to enjoy it.

I'm always so relieved when these threads come up from time to time because I don't feel so foolish after reading everyone's posts:).

We are both pathetic when we leave Molly behind. And truthfully it has even curtailed some travel for us. We won't go as far, or as long, as we could simply because we just can't leave her behind that much.

She stays with our good friend and neighbor during the day, but they have to bring her home at night because their dogs won't share the bed with her and she won't hear of sleeping on the floor. So she sleeps alone in our house and they come get her first thing in the morning.

So, yes, we sure do miss our Molly when we cruise or go anywhere she can't join us. But we wouldn't give her up for all the cruises in the world.

The only negative about cruising is leaving one of my babies at home. Phoenix is our "rescue dog" see avatar...she's the brunette!! She is having a rehearsal with our critter-sitter next week. Ww have never left her in the three years she has lived with us. I am anxious, but hopeful that she will consider her visit to the "sitters" as something of a holiday considering her love of all things breathing. There will be at least three other dogs and a cat.

I adore our pets, and really was very sad at the thought of leaving them for our cruise, but got over missing them pretty quickly once on board. ;)

I was very happy to see them on our return, especially our 18 year old feeble cat. Our dog ran around in circles when she saw us. Luckily our son took good care of them.

We almost can't wait to get home to see Maggie and Dottie. Our two

shih-tzus are the world to us. Dottie got sick last september on our

New England/Canada cruise and we almost got off the ship and flew home from Boston (RT NYC cruise). Our friend who was taking care of the 2 rushed her to the vet and a few scarey hours and hundreds of dollars later put us at ease when we finally heard that the vet said she was going to be fine with some meds. I would love to take them with us but we know that can't happen. We are thankful that we have a great friend that treats our pups as his own.

It's very funny how we miss our pets. My scottie comes to work with me each day but the delivery guys asked that I barricade him from them since he would go after their work boots. Chew. Funny, I think but not for them. So, when I go on a trip, which I like to think as often, I think about what a crazy dog he is but really, he is sort of famous. People come to my office, and if he is absent, they seem really down. Go figure.;)

Oh yes we miss our Riley. We usually joke about how he would probably spend most of his time in the Lido working the crowd for treats. He is a Golden but we swear somewhere in his family tree someone slipped in a pig.

OMG...That's describes "Brandy" my 9 year old wire-haired Dachshund to a T...Today her four favorite people & 2 favorite dog friends "Lola" & "Fritz" were at our house..Brandy was in her glory & worked each one of them for a treat! Our friends think I never feed her..Never thought that she might be part pig..;)

I'm always so relieved when these threads come up from time to time because I don't feel so foolish after reading everyone's posts:)...

So, yes, we sure do miss our Molly when we cruise or go anywhere she can't join us. But we wouldn't give her up for all the cruises in the world.

Heather, I'm also relieved when these threads appear..Now I know I'm not alone..We too miss Brandy & would never give her up...When we're away she goes to Aunt Libby's & Uncle Bob's house to stay with her other Doxi friend "Fritz"..Aunt Libby carried her home in our car when she was a tiny puppy..Brandy was so frightened to leave her Sister & Mom, & piddled all over her..Aunt Libby still forgave her & often asks to take her home just for a short visit when we're not going away..

Must confess we take Brandy's picture along to put up in our cabin..Please don't tell our Grand kids! ;) On the Prinsendam I had it on our door...Our Wine Steward heard about it & brought all his friends down to see her picture.. LOL..

However, I know she is well taken care of, but do miss her..

Cheers....Betty

Archived