Altun Ha Mayan Site & River Wallace

PinkJellyFish06

We did this tour, and yes it is worth $85 for the peace of mind. There is another post on here and they are worried about a private tour and times to the ruins. I thought the tour was great. There is walking from the ship thru the dock stores to the busses out back. There is walking from the busses to the ruins, but I did' not think it was far, but we don't have any walking issues, hardly even use the elevators on the ship. The walking area at the ruins is on a path. No walking for the boat, and the little market place has places to sit. The boat was not covered if I remember correctly, we did see a lot of wild life along the shore. Anything else just ask.

We did this tour, and yes it is worth $85 for the peace of mind. There is another post on here and they are worried about a private tour and times to the ruins. I thought the tour was great. There is walking from the ship thru the dock stores to the busses out back. There is walking from the busses to the ruins, but I did' not think it was far, but we don't have any walking issues, hardly even use the elevators on the ship. The walking area at the ruins is on a path. No walking for the boat, and the little market place has places to sit. The boat was not covered if I remember correctly, we did see a lot of wild life along the shore. Anything else just ask.

HOW long is boat ride?do you think it good idia to take 2 years old to this tour?

HOW long is boat ride?

About 45 minutes-1 hour

do you think it good idia to take 2 years old to this tour?

First off only you know your children. I think the boat ride would interest a 2 yr. old, but not the bus ride or the talks at the ruins. You could always bring something along for the bus ride and stand off to the side at the ruins. Second we love kids, have been taking our 3 grandkids on cruises since they were 5 - but there are a lot of people (from seeing posts on here) who do not want any interuptions from kids on their cruise. We have been on Disney 7 times, so you know kids don't bother us.

My husband and I did this tour in September 2007 and loved it. We did the boat ride first so there was very little walking at the port to reach the boat. The ride was probably an hour, first in the bay with nice views of the waterfront homes, then stopped to spot the manatees or dolphins, then up the River Wallace. Loved seeing the monkeys and iguanas in the trees. Very little walking from the dock to the little store, which has seating outside (lovely and a cold drink is in order as the boat was not covered). Short walk to the bus here. Don't really remember much about the bus ride, but loved the ruins. Some walking at the ruins but you could easily sit in the shelters until you felt up to exploring.

As for a young one on this tour, I would not bring our two y/o GD. Just don't think she would enjoy the bus ride or the ruins. Either way, have a great cruise.

• 3 months later...

We just got back from the River Wallace/ Altun Ha tour. I think it was worth its money. Boat ride was in a nice new boat, lasted about 1hour and 15 minutes. We did see croc, monkeys ( though not well) and lots of iguanas. The ride itself was just nice and enjoyable. The only problem we had was we sat in the last rear seat and couldnt hear over the engine. Joyce was our guide for this part and we just couldnt hear her. Also she seem to get on my nerves after awhile on the bus part, she talked alot or should I say rambled. Kinda felt like I was back in school and being questioned and lectured. Sometimes I just like to look out the window and see the country. Anyways, we stopped at the Black Orchid resort for about an hour. Gave us bathroom time and down time. They have a nice open space to eat either a burger or the traditional baked chicken, rice and slaw. It was good ,$8.00 a plate.

Bus ride is alittle rough, but really not too bad, nothing that is gonna hurt your back or anything. Ruins are small and not as impressive as some other ruins. But still worth a look. Our guide was named Amaya or something like that, she was good. She was knowledgable, spoke loud and clear and didnt drag on. My 2 peeves here were that she talked in the first court yard for awhile, and we never got close to the temples. I wanted to walk around and see the things up close. They wanted us to stay together, and thats fine but alteast slowly walk us around the site. Remind you, this is not a large place and there were not many other people there. We went to the 2nd courtyard and this is where you can climb the rear of the temple. Hubby did that and said it was pretty neat, I stayed at the bottom and really checked out the temple. Its unfortunate that this site hasn't had much money put into to it and I feel like no one really cares. It is what it is, and I get the feeling, that it just there for money making and nothing else will get done or done right. Do go to the bathroom before you leave the ruins.

But the biggest disappiontment with this part of the tour was that we spent very little time at the ruins in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Went on this trip last week. I brought my 14 yr old and he got bored on the boat ride. We seen lots of wildlife; i.e. crocs, iguanas, monkeys, manatees, and he was still bored. A two year old probably would lose interest. The bus ride made me car sick. It was very hot and humid and the air conditioning wasn't enough for me. The ride to the ruins is about 35 minutes on dirt road. Made me ill. The ruins were interesting to see, but again, two year would probably care less. As long as you have other items to interest the two year old, it should be fine. They'd probably prefer a beach excursion, where they can run free.

Archived