Need advise - Booking with a TA in a different country

Thanks (Merci) Earl M. We're practically neighbours. I'm feeling a little less anxious now.:)

I may be mistaken, but I think you are protected in Ontario if your TA goes under financially and is holding your money. I seriously doubt you would have the same security booking outside the country.

I stand to be corrected but I would check into it carefully before I spent any money.

Hi Sue,

I have booked all of my cruises through online US TAs for exactly the same reason you are looking at it. In most cases the savings were substantial in comparison to anything I could get through a Canadian TA. I have never had any problems, but I am a do-it-yourselfer and don't need advice or hand-holding. That's what CC is for :D

Hi Sue,

I have booked all of my cruises through online US TAs for exactly the same reason you are looking at it. In most cases the savings were substantial in comparison to anything I could get through a Canadian TA. I have never had any problems, but I am a do-it-yourselfer and don't need advice or hand-holding. That's what CC is for :D

Thanks for the info. With a few more positive replies I just might cancel my Ottawa booking next week and re-book (better price and goodies thrown in).

I think Sapper1 is correct you are not protected against travel companies going out of business in the US where if you book through our travel agent at least in Ontario we are protected under TICO. Also you have to pay in USD. Maybe you should see if your TA will give you a discount before you change. I would check this out before switching.

Ontario Cruiser

I too have always used a US company for booking cruises. The CND one's do not have many discounts, do they?

One thing to look for is a company that gives your deposit to the cruise line immediately. The 3 companies I have used have done this. I can log on to the cruiseline website that day with the booking number they give me and see our reservation there. This would take away the worry about the company going under. Your money isn't with the company- it's with the cruiseline already.

Once when the CND was above the USD I made sure I paid the whole thing before it dropped! We were near final payment anyway and I did not want to take chances.

I stopped booking with our local Stittsville based cruise agency (does a HUGE business in Ottawa) as they could not or would not meet the online prices. Granted booking with a US based travel agency does not offer TICO protection, but since the payment is forwarded directly to the cruise line there should be less risk involved. I also make sure I have proper insurance as soon as I book, one that is Canadian based as our health care insurance needs are different from Americans. I get the whole trip cancellation/interuption/baggage/health etc package.

The last time I tried to book a cruise with the "Captain" it was going to be $900 more than booking with the online s****cruiser agency. I have used the online one ever since and had no trouble at all.

Hi, we have also used an agency in the US to book our last 3 cruises. Have never had any problems and the service they proivided could not be beat. We have also had the same past experience where the deposit goes directly to the cruise line.

Our latest booking however is with a Canadian travel agent as their price and OBC could not be beat by any of the US agents.

I also agree with sun-- make sure you purchase your travel insurance independently here in Canada.

I stopped booking with our local Stittsville based cruise agency (does a HUGE business in Ottawa) as they could not or would not meet the online prices. Granted booking with a US based travel agency does not offer TICO protection, but since the payment is forwarded directly to the cruise line there should be less risk involved. I also make sure I have proper insurance as soon as I book, one that is Canadian based as our health care insurance needs are different from Americans. I get the whole trip cancellation/interuption/baggage/health etc package.

The last time I tried to book a cruise with the "Captain" it was going to be $900 more than booking with the online s****cruiser agency. I have used the online one ever since and had no trouble at all.

Good morning Sun~ - I know exactly who the "Captain" is in Stittsville. A big THANK YOU to everyone who gave me their opinions. I'm going to take the plunge and switch my booking. And yes, I always take out travel and medical insurance. Thanks again.

We have not found a US TA that will accept our booking. They all say they are only allowed to book US and Canadian residents.

It is not fair for us Europeans as the whole process is much different. We have to pay much larger deposits and if we cancel we cannot get that deposit back no matter how far away the cruise is.

Sue from Canada: I have used two different US online travel agencies and never had a problem. However, I did note that my money went directly to the cruise line. There is a Canadian travel agent in Nanaimo, BC, who has a toll-free number, and is offering good prices also. He will accept payment in either US or Canadian, whichever offers the best rate at the time. He does have a $100 cancellation fee which can be applied to another cruise within a year.

I've made a reservation online with one USA site, and since than, prices went down a lot. Does anybody know what to do, would they return any money or atleast give onboard credit, cause prices went down for 200$ pp:rolleyes: I've tryed to contact them but no replay... :eek:

Good for you, Sue! I hope it all works out (since I really can't testify as to how Canadian bookings work). I can't help but think that if you are dealing with a reputable TA in the US, you won't have a problem. Is this in reference to our group tour? See ya on May 31!

LVSue - Yes my original question was in direct relation to the May 31st. cruise. I think some of us who booked with our own TA caused a bit of "fluff" on the thread, to be point of being referred to as "traitors." Hmmmm. So, I'm going to switch my booking to Johna.

I've used both Canadian and a couple of large online U.S. travel agents. No problems whatsoever but if you're looking for handholding that may not be your best bet.

Have you considered asking your Canadian TA if they can match the price the US agent is quoting? Maybe the price difference is due to a price drop.

I've used both Canadian and a couple of large online U.S. travel agents. No problems whatsoever but if you're looking for handholding that may not be your best bet.

Have you considered asking your Canadian TA if they can match the price the US agent is quoting? Maybe the price difference is due to a price drop.

Being a solo traveller I don't need much "handholding." My TA wouldn't budge. Her loss.

Archived