Canadian Pharmacies in Vancouver

It's really a question about what Can. Pharms. sell over the counter or off the shelf that we can't get in the U.S.

I'm pretty sure one of those is Ibuprophen in a 600 mg dose? I really love those, usually get them in Mexico. But am out and will be in Vancouver in late June.

I'm wondering if muscle relaxants are also available to buy without a perscription?

My FIL brought back some really nasty cough syrup, can't remember the name, he says ingredients not allowed in US but he's a pharmacist and swears it's the best thing. I took some when sick and it did the trick, but the taste --- vile! It didn't have codine in it.

This makes me sound like a drug addict, I'm not, just old and wanting stuff for my aches and pains so that I don't have to waste 3-4 hours waiting on a doctor, and missing work, then paying the copay for Dr. visit. The U.S FDA is just silly about some things.

I'm not aware of any restrictions on bringing off the shelf stuff back, but correct me on that if I'm wrong.

Don't expect what you can get in a Mexican pharmacy. Canadian pharmacies generally have four types of medications... on the shelf, behind the counter, under the counter and prescription only.

Those of the shelf may different from US medication. Sometimes it's just the name, sometimes it's the composition and sometimes we allow medications that aren't allowed in the US. An example of a medication that is very different in composition between the US and Canada is Preparation H. Ibuprofen is widely available in Canada but I think it's mostly 200mg tablets. Non-drowsy allergy medication and some muscle relaxants like Robaxicet are available. There there are a range of medication that require you ask the pharmacists to hand you because they are open to abuse, like Gravol and Solorcaine and a few because of theft (tobacco replacements). Then you have the under-the-counter medications, those that you need to know about to get, the best example being 222s which are 325mg of Aspirin with 7mg of codeine. The equivalent with acetaminophen is also available, I think you call them Tylenol 3. Finally anything needing a prescription or narcotic are well controlled and you will need a verifiable doctor's note to get them. Don't expect them to give you some ****** and a Valium, because you need a doctor's prescription for that.

In Vancouver the strongest dose of Advil is Extra Strength at 400 mg/pill. Sorry, nothing stronger but we do have 200 mg. pills, caplets, liqui-gels, and gelcaps to choose from. Something we don't have in Canada is Advil PM; I get that in the U.S when I go down. And it's cheap cheap cheap in San Juan! Wow.

I'd agree, the cough syrup is most likely Buckley's. "Tastes awful, and it works!" is the tag line in the advertisements. And Robaxicet (muscle relaxant, usually for backs) is available here.

The major drug stores in this area are Shoppers Drug Mart, Pharmasave, and London Drugs. If you can find a Real Canadian Superstore, their pharmacy items are less expensive than drug stores.

As ar as restrictions for bringing the items home, you'll have to check with your US Customs website.

The cough syrup is Buckley's! Won't be picking up any more of that:eek:

Ibuprophen 400 is better than what we get here (only 200s).

Thanks for the pharmacy names too. We are staying downtown both before and after our cruise, Days Inn before and Pan Pacific after so will look for something in the downtown area.

Margie

We are able to purchase "over the counter" meds such as pain killers and cough syrups with mild amounts of codeine which you can't in the US. Examples of pain killers would be Tylenol 2 and the cough syrup may have been Benylin with codeine.

In Vancouver the strongest dose of Advil is Extra Strength at 400 mg/pill. Sorry, nothing stronger but we do have 200 mg. pills, caplets, liqui-gels, and gelcaps to choose from. Something we don't have in Canada is Advil PM; I get that in the U.S when I go down. And it's cheap cheap cheap in San Juan! Wow.

I'd agree, the cough syrup is most likely Buckley's. "Tastes awful, and it works!" is the tag line in the advertisements. And Robaxicet (muscle relaxant, usually for backs) is available here.

The major drug stores in this area are Shoppers Drug Mart, Pharmasave, and London Drugs. If you can find a Real Canadian Superstore, their pharmacy items are less expensive than drug stores.

As ar as restrictions for bringing the items home, you'll have to check with your US Customs website.

The PM part of the medication is Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride which is basically an allergy pill that has the side effect of making people drowsy. It's available in Canada, just usually behind the counter, because it can lead to car accidents. Ask the pharmacists. The brand names in Canada should be:

Allerdryl

Allernix

Nytol Extra Strength

Simply Sleep

Unisom Extra Strength

Unisom Extra Strength Sleepgels

They likely even have generic available. Even in the US if you buy them separately they are really really cheap.

The brand names in Canada should be:

Allerdryl

Allernix

Nytol Extra Strength

Simply Sleep

Unisom Extra Strength

Unisom Extra Strength Sleepgels

Thanks - I appreciate the info. The only ones available by me are Nytol and Simply Sleep, both of which contain no pain reliever, only the active ingredient you mentioned. Will keep them in mind, thank you. :)

Thanks - I appreciate the info. The only ones available by me are Nytol and Simply Sleep, both of which contain no pain reliever, only the active ingredient you mentioned. Will keep them in mind, thank you. :)

We don't allow the combination in Canada. You have to take two pills.

For pain relievers, you can get AC&C (used to be called 222) which has aspirin, caffeine and codeine, or the same mixture with acetominaphin, which I've always called a "generic Tylenol 1". I always make sure I have some of these when I'm going to the US; they're the best things I've found for headache.

Mersyndol is another over the counter medication you might look at. It contains 325 mg of acetaminophen, 8 mg of codeine and 5 mg of doxylamine succinate. It helps relax my tense muscles and eases the aches and pains. It can makes you drowsy, so only take it when you can relax (maybe take a nap) or at night before going to bed.

Archived