Appliances in Cabins?

DarrenWoof

Most cabins have those ridiculously ineffective wall mounted hair dryers that might work for a man, but practically impossible to dry anything but the shortest hair. You can ask for, and some cabins have, hand held hair dryers that work, although probably not as effectively as the ones we have at home. To me, it's still not worth the weight and space to haul my own--I just make do.

Cathy

If you will have any electronics to charge (camera, iPod, etc.), be sure to bring a little outlet strip. There is only one outlet of each kind (120 and 240) in most cabins, and there may be times when more than one thing needs charging to get ready for an excursion.

Solstice has a hand-held hair dryer located in the top desk drawer and not in the bathroom. It uses 220v, and there is a 220v outlet next to desk. That was the only 220v in the cabin, with the few remianing ones being 110v, also next to the desk. There was one 110v outlet in the bathroom, located above the mirror by the overhead light. Other applicances, such as steamers, coffee makers and irons are not present and are in fact prohibited.

Most cabins have those ridiculously ineffective wall mounted hair dryers that might work for a man, but practically impossible to dry anything but the shortest hair. You can ask for, and some cabins have, hand held hair dryers that work, although probably not as effectively as the ones we have at home. To me, it's still not worth the weight and space to haul my own--I just make do.

Cathy

I agree about those hairdryers - I have bought a smallish international current hairdryer for our holiday (including London before and after the holiday). At least I'll have a fighting chance of looking OK for the formal nights!!

and what country/voltage the outlets are? Thanks!

DarrenWoof

As others have said the outlets are both voltages [110 and 220] but, in my experience, it is random what type of 220 volt outlet is available. They may be the UK three-pin type or a European type [and I believe there are two of these] plus a 4 outlet strip [a really lightweight one from Poundland - like a dollar store]. We are from the UK so I always cruise with a US and the most common European adaptor [plus a multi-adaptor which is difficult to use but can mimic any outlet just in case they throw something else at me either on the ship or at one of the pre- or post-cruise hotels]. With mobile [cell] phones, cameras, laptops, there is too much at stake not to have what you need.

Sue

Archived