Alaska Excursions

jazzcruise

Just booked Celebrity Infinity and need some excursions ideas for Ketchikan; Juneau; Victoria, British Columbia. I am traveling with my parents (70s) and my 4 sisters (40's-50s). We are looking for something with low activity level because my dad just finished chemo and I just had foot surgery and will not be able to walk far. Any ideas?

Thanks

Just booked Celebrity Infinity and need some excursions ideas for Ketchikan; Juneau; Victoria, British Columbia. I am traveling with my parents (70s) and my 4 sisters (40's-50s). We are looking for something with low activity level because my dad just finished chemo and I just had foot surgery and will not be able to walk far. Any ideas?

Thanks

Just got back from an Alaskan cruise...only Ketchikan in common with yours but if you can swing it I highly recommend the Misty Fjords float plane. I used Southeast Aviation and was very happy with them. They pick you up at the dock. There are a few small steps up a ladder to get in the plane but you just sit and admire the rest of the way. I'm 62 and have nerve damage in my leg so I can relate to the limited walking part. Trip of a lifetime. Very glad I went.

I was nervous about the landing...smooth as glass...:)

Linda

It's hard to answer your question without knowing more about you and your family. What types of things are you interested in? What is your budget?

Whale watching in Juneau is absolutely amazing and doesn't require much walking.

Float planes in Ketchikan are incredible and don't require much walking, but are expensive. I went with Alaska Sea Plane Tours and it was the experience of a lifetime.

www.alaskaseaplanetours.com

You need to do your homework, look over a shore excursion list and narrow down your interests. There are hundreds of worthwhile touring options to consider. IF all don't have the same interests, split up??

• 2 years later...

Many of the towns have trolly our bus tours of the town. All you have to do is get on board. Not alot of excitement, but at least it would give everyone a chance to learn about the history of the area. There is always the train ride that has beautiful views with limited walking.

Best of luck in your choices

A lovely, calm, relatively inexpensive boat tour in Ketchikan is with Lighthouse Totems & Eagles Excursions. Capt. Rob will take you on a tour of the various islands off Ketchikan where you will see eagles, some glorious scenery, some beautiful homes built among the trees and rocks of the islands and, apparently, the only lighthouse in Alaska (I could be wrong on that).

Your parents could sit inside where it is warm, with big windows and binoculars provided, as well as snacks & coffee, etc. You could go up on the top deck and breathe the wonderful air and view the sights. Binoculars provided up there also.

This was our 1st time in Alaska and we loved it - you will too. Have fun!

We were there 7/9/11. Their e-mail is holston@kpunet.net and the website is LighthouseExcursion.com.

Not sure what Celebrity offers in the line of excursions. So many experienced cruisers use the Independent Operators and their reviews have been outstanding. With that said, I have always stayed with the excursions offered by the Cruise line....not sure why.

We have cruised Alaska five times. All with Princess. Four have been the North/South bound with our last trip this May R/T Seattle. I prefer the cruise starting in Whittier and ending in Anchorage...but R/T Seattle was not bad...just one day of Glacier Viewing. To me, if I go to Alaska, I do want to see Glacier Bay.

In Juneau we have done the (1) Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Quest (favorite). We have also done the (2)Underground Juneau Gold and the(3) Mendenhall Glacier, Hatchery, Museum and Gardens.

Ketchikan we did (1) Lighthouse, Totems and Eagle Excursion, (2) Misty Fjords and Wilderness Explorer (by boat), (3) Saxman Native Village and Totem Pole Park and (4) Historical Ketchikan and Creek Street Walking Tour.

Some of the excursions we did more than once.

We love Alaska!!

WannaKnow - how much was the lighthouse excursion? I have some free hours in the afternoon in Ketchikan while my traveling companions are ziplining - this might be right up my alley. Thanx for the info!

I believe it was about $80, which was one of our least expensive tours, but check the website or e-mail - http://LighthouseExcursion.com and/or holston@kpunet.net.

I forgot to mention above you have to take a taxi out there - it is in a very isolated area - about 25 min. away, but the ride out is also beautiful & we considered it almost part of the tour.

When we did the Lighthouse,Totem and Eagle Excursion, it was through Princess. We were picked up at the dock by a bus that took us to the boat and returned us to the ship. It was a very good excursion. Can't remember the exact cost, (we did this excursion several years ago) but was something over $100.00 (maybe because we had the transportation to and from the excursion vessel). Not sure if this will help or not.

When we did the Lighthouse,Totem and Eagle Excursion, it was through Princess. We were picked up at the dock by a bus that took us to the boat and returned us to the ship. It was a very good excursion. Can't remember the exact cost, (we did this excursion several years ago) but was something over $100.00 (maybe because we had the transportation to and from the excursion vessel). Not sure if this will help or not.

Do you think you could use a larger font? My aging eyes really have a tough time with this font size. ;)

Gotta remember, I am new at this. So much to learn. Really would love to learn how to "box in data" for a reply and to also list past cruises and also to list future cruises. Sure wish there was an on line class for us senior citizens who are trying to keep us.

The large print is easier for me to see while I am typing. I'll try to do better.

Not sure about Celb, but NCL ranks their excursions by activity level so it is easier to select. On our last two trips we took the Mendenhal Glacier/Whale Watching and loved it. There are several bus/train tours in Skagway that are fun we enjoyed the Train and Gold Dredge. I am planning on taking one of the longer train packages when we go back next year. There seems to be so many tours and so little time.

Usually Celebrity marks their tours as to activity level and I have found them to be pretty accurate. You will enjoy Alaska it is beautiful. I haven't done the tram in Juneau, but would think that wouldn't be too strenuous. I'm going to be doing it this time around. Hope the oringinal poster comes back with what she ended up doing and how it all worked out.

Gotta remember, I am new at this. So much to learn. Really would love to learn how to "box in data" for a reply and to also list past cruises and also to list future cruises. Sure wish there was an on line class for us senior citizens who are trying to keep us.

The large print is easier for me to see while I am typing. I'll try to do better.

To "box in data", you click on the word "quote" that you will see in the bottom right corner of the post. The post will appear in quotes and you can respond below it or above it, whichever you prefer.

If you would like to respond to multiple posts within one post, click on the quotation marks that are to the right of the word "quote." You will need to click on the quotation marks in each post that you wish to reply to. When you have done that, then click on the "Post Reply" button. All the posts you wanted to reply to should be there.

To list past and future cruises go to "User CP" which is on the upper left side of any CC page. Then click on "edit signature." There you can type in what you would like for your signature.

Also, to get a larger font, click on the small arrow at the top of the message box that is to the right of the font name and number. Choose a larger number. ;)

To get automatic email notification when someone has posted on a thread you are interested in, you can click on "thread tools" at the top right of the thread. Then click on "subscribe to thread." If you want automatic email notifications for any thread you post on, go to User PC again. This time look for "edit options." Look for the "Messaging and Notification" box. At the bottom of this box you will see "Default Thread Subscription Mode." Choose how you want to be notified: Instant, daily, etc.

Hope this helps. If it is not clear, I will try again.

To "box in data", you click on the word "quote" that you will see in the bottom right corner of the post. The post will appear in quotes and you can respond below it or above it, whichever you prefer.

If you would like to respond to multiple posts within one post, click on the quotation marks that are to the right of the word "quote." You will need to click on the quotation marks in each post that you wish to reply to. When you have done that, then click on the "Post Reply" button. All the posts you wanted to reply to should be there.

To list past and future cruises go to "User CP" which is on the upper left side of any CC page. Then click on "edit signature." There you can type in what you would like for your signature.

Also, to get a larger font, click on the small arrow at the top of the message box that is to the right of the font name and number. Choose a larger number. ;)

To get automatic email notification when someone has posted on a thread you are interested in, you can click on "thread tools" at the top right of the thread. Then click on "subscribe to thread." If you want automatic email notifications for any thread you post on, go to User PC again. This time look for "edit options." Look for the "Messaging and Notification" box. At the bottom of this box you will see "Default Thread Subscription Mode." Choose how you want to be notified: Instant, daily, etc.

Hope this helps. If it is not clear, I will try again.

O.K. Going to give it a try, lets see how it turns out. Thanks VB Mom for helping an "old newbie".

OMG that just wet from bad to worse.......I can't read a word and I'm not even 40.......

Congrats!!! You are on your way!!!!! Lots there to learn. As you browse through all the options, you will figure out many new things!!!

You sure have a lot of cruises coming up!!! Enjoy them!!!

VbMom87, I have cruised Princess six times,(five of those to Alaska) RCL once and Carnival once. Today I booked the NCL P0A for September 15, 2012. I will now have to study the NCL and Hawaii boards and most of all SAVE UP!!

Thanks for your help. I am going to try and work on the profile part tomorrow on listing previous cruises.

VbMom87, I have cruised Princess six times,(five of those to Alaska) RCL once and Carnival once. Today I booked the NCL P0A for September 15, 2012. I will now have to study the NCL and Hawaii boards and most of all SAVE UP!!

Thanks for your help. I am going to try and work on the profile part tomorrow on listing previous cruises.

We so enjoyed our POA cruise. We arrived several days early to tour Oahu and then went on the cruise. The only low point on the cruise was the food. It did not compare to our previous HAL cruise in 2001. (many go to the pay restaurants and seemed to enjoy those, but I am too thrifty for that ;)) Everything else about the cruise and ports was A+. You will find valuable information on the Hawaii Boards. Also go to the Hawaii forum on Trip Advisor.

We so enjoyed our POA cruise. We arrived several days early to tour Oahu and then went on the cruise. The only low point on the cruise was the food. It did not compare to our previous HAL cruise in 2001. (many go to the pay restaurants and seemed to enjoy those, but I am too thrifty for that ;)) Everything else about the cruise and ports was A+. You will find valuable information on the Hawaii Boards. Also go to the Hawaii forum on Trip Advisor.

Thanks again vbmom87 for taking time and interest in helping me.

Enjoy Alaska. What are your excursion plans?

Loved your comment about "too thrifty for the special restaurants". I am with you there. I always thought that the cruiselines did not really like us. We do not gamble, buy drinks, or pay extra for the restaurants. In fact, we do not even buy the photographs any more. We do, however, spring for a mini on the Alaska cruises, but on the POA we are doing a B6 balcony. Suites just toooooooo much money. The cruise is just too port intensive for that much money (in my budget). And to tell you the truth, the inside would be fine for me. DH has some health issues and he loves the balcony.

I have been studying the Hawaii boards and the NCL. From these I have gained so much information. Have already made a list of projected excursions. Have checked the excursion operators on Trip Advisor as well as pre hotels. Will probably do the Mariott Waikki Resort and Spa. Was quoted a great price two weeks ago (NCL package), however, yesterday the TA was having problems finding that price. She is continuing to check. Any advice on a hotel?

We are planning on flying in two days early. We were in Honolulu about eleven years ago. I think the only excursion we will do this year will be "World War 11 from the beginning to the end". I just cannot imagine going to Honolulu and not do Pearl Harbor. The last time we Pearl Harbor, Circle Island, PCC, Paradise Cove Luau. Have not been on any of the other islands, looking soooooo forward to this cruise. Will be more costly than any of our other cruises...so we just have fourteen months to SAVE, SAVE, SAVE!

Tell me, vbmom87, what are your recommendations for island excursions.

Tell me, vbmom87, what are your recommendations for island excursions.

I don't really want to hijack this thread. ;) If you send me a link where you are talking on a Hawaii forum, I would be happy to help. Meanwhile here is my link to my Hawaii Review. You could also post on my review and I could answer your Hawaii questions there:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=24661257#post24661257

Thanks again vbmom87 for taking time and interest in helping me.

Enjoy Alaska. What are your excursion plans?

We much prefer to spend our vacation dollars on excursions rather then cabins. We booked an obstructed view HH and got it for less than the original inside we booked. We don't spend much time in our cabin, so we should be good. Unless, of course, someone gets sick. That is always my concern. Then it would suck!!!

Although we are leaving in 2 weeks I am still questioning some of my excursion plans, but as of today, this is what I have planned:

Ketchikan: The Misty Fjords Wilderness Explorer Boat tour, visit the salmon ladder and take in a museum.

Juneau: Fly in bear tour to Pack Creek. Rent a car and go to the Shrine of St. Therese, maybe Glacier Gardens, and definitely Mendenhall Glacier.

Icy Strait: Whale Watch and tour Hoonah on our own.

Anchorage: Prince William Sound boat tour that goes through the scenic Esther Passage. If up to it, we will rent bikes and bike part of the Tony Knowles Trail

Homer: We are taking a tour with the Center for Alaskan Coastal Studies and then will tour Homer for as long as we have.

Kodiak: We are taking a van tour with a local. Then hoping to be dropped off at Fort Abercrombie to do some light hiking.

Sitka: We have a marine wildlife tour planned with Esther G. Taxi. Then I hope to use whatever time is left to tour Sitka. I know I won't have enough time to see and do all I want. I will just have to figure out how I can fit one more trip to Alaska in. Not sure if we will be able to swing it or not. We do have a lot of other places to see on our bucket list and very limited vacation funds.

Victoria: Butchart Gardens and the Butterfly Gardens. Contemplating a horse and carriage tour of Victoria. I keep changing my plans here. For now this is what I have planned.

Phew!!! Got tired just reading over it all. With a few sea days inbetween, hopefully we will not be exhausted. At least we are not stuck on a red-eye flight this time. :)

Archived