New to Jade 14 Day Med: Basketball, activity questions

cantravel

Apologies if the questions are answered elsewhere, but my searches have been unsuccessful.

1. While reading information about basketball on the ship (my son loves to play), it was suggested that you bring your own basketball, as the ship's supply is old and worn. Is that true? If there aren't in good shape, my son plays enough that it would be worthwhile to bring his own ball, but I don't want to pack one unless necessary (try to fit that in a suitcase!) Any advice?

2. Not that I plan to bring an entire supply of sports gear, but my son is also an enthusiastic rugby player and wants to bring a rugby ball with him. Would he have the opportunity/place to toss a ball around -- no point bringing it if the open areas are always occupied with other sports. (And no, I would NOT pack both a rugby and basketball. Enough is enough!)

2. Where do you find information about traditional activities/events. For example, in looking for other information, I have stumbled across threads discussing things such as a 'white shirt' late night party as well as a 'formal night' in (all?) of the restaurants. I know that such activities (both for adults and kids/teens) are not mandatory, but it is nice to know about them in advance. Any suggestions/information from experienced cruisers? Or ideas about where I could find the information?

Thanks -- I have gotten a lot of good information from these forums!

Apologies if the questions are answered elsewhere, but my searches have been unsuccessful.

1. While reading information about basketball on the ship (my son loves to play), it was suggested that you bring your own basketball, as the ship's supply is old and worn. Is that true? If there aren't in good shape, my son plays enough that it would be worthwhile to bring his own ball, but I don't want to pack one unless necessary (try to fit that in a suitcase!) Any advice?

2. Not that I plan to bring an entire supply of sports gear, but my son is also an enthusiastic rugby player and wants to bring a rugby ball with him. Would he have the opportunity/place to toss a ball around -- no point bringing it if the open areas are always occupied with other sports. (And no, I would NOT pack both a rugby and basketball. Enough is enough!)

2. Where do you find information about traditional activities/events. For example, in looking for other information, I have stumbled across threads discussing things such as a 'white shirt' late night party as well as a 'formal night' in (all?) of the restaurants. I know that such activities (both for adults and kids/teens) are not mandatory, but it is nice to know about them in advance. Any suggestions/information from experienced cruisers? Or ideas about where I could find the information?

Thanks -- I have gotten a lot of good information from these forums!

i could just about understand a basketball; but a rugby ball? - is he planning on throwing it round midst the other holiday makers who are trying to have a relaxing and enjoyable time? - i would urge you to stick to the types of activities that are provided to guests - so basketball yes, but rugby seems like it may inconvenience people

besides; for 14 days cruising surely you can use all that space you save not packing a ball by packing extra clothes etc?... have to say, rugby and basketballs is the oddest thing ive heard this week :S

Basketball and Rugby--- you are going to be in port a lot on the 14 day cruise.

This is not a ship to play sports--a little basketball and swimming--but not rugby. Maybe you should send your send to a sports camp for a couple of weeks while you vacation.

White night is where everyone wears something white and it is a dance

in one of the discos--they use black lights etc--not an evident for children--

usually held late evening 10-11PM.

formal-- NCL has a policy of dress up not days--that means you can dress up

or not dress up. There are no strictly formal nights.

maybe you should talk to someone in your hometown that has cruised on NCl before.

Big Green

I recommend leaving the basketball and rugby ball at home.

Since my family has been drawn to the RCL voyager class ships because of the sports aspects (rock climbing, ice skating, inline skating, etc.) your question seems perfectly normal to me! I recall posting a question about mountain biking in Juneau, Alaska and receiving no response at all, so I can sympathize. I can certainly understand, if your son is an avid rugby player, why he would want to practice, if possible, during the down times while on a two week cruise. We like NCL, too, and have cruised on the Pride of America, which I believe is very similar to the Jade. Although the ship is large, Rugby is not a sport that is offered and I don't think there would be sufficient space on the ship for practice. As for the basketballs, I can't tell you what their current condition would be, but if it's that important to your son and you have space in your luggage, go ahead and pack one to be on the safe side.

As for activities specific to the cruise you'll be on, in addition to posting your question here, you can try going to the roll call for your cruise and posting your questions there as well. Also, I've gleaned a lot of information simply by reading cruise reviews of the itinerary. Sometimes people will scan and post the daily schedules.

Enjoy your cruise!

Since my family has been drawn to the RCL voyager class ships because of the sports aspects (rock climbing, ice skating, inline skating, etc.) your question seems perfectly normal to me! I recall posting a question about mountain biking in Juneau, Alaska and receiving no response at all, so I can sympathize. I can certainly understand, if your son is an avid rugby player, why he would want to practice, if possible, during the down times while on a two week cruise. We like NCL, too, and have cruised on the Pride of America, which I believe is very similar to the Jade. Although the ship is large, Rugby is not a sport that is offered and I don't think there would be sufficient space on the ship for practice. As for the basketballs, I can't tell you what their current condition would be, but if it's that important to your son and you have space in your luggage, go ahead and pack one to be on the safe side.

As for activities specific to the cruise you'll be on, in addition to posting your question here, you can try going to the roll call for your cruise and posting your questions there as well. Also, I've gleaned a lot of information simply by reading cruise reviews of the itinerary. Sometimes people will scan and post the daily schedules.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for your positive response! Since Jade has an enclosed basketball/soccer space, I had thought that there might be a possibility for a couple of kids to safely toss a rugby ball around if no one else was using the space. But you are right -- he can enjoy (and stay fit) playing the sports that are provided.

Best wishes to you as well -- I am sure we will enjoy the cruise.

I just had to post on this thread. We are going on the 12 night baltic cruise and my 13 year old son is mad keen on basketball, he is taking his own basketball on board in the hope he can practice with a few others. Mind you we havent got to fly anywhere so taking one on board is not such an issue for us. Have fun :)

cantravel-

What about your son taking his basketball in a lightweight backpack as his carry on? If this is what your son enjoys it would be awful if NCL had crappy ones and he wished he'd brought his. Better safe than sorry.

The enclosed area with the basketball would be safe for a rugby ball...I don't know what you can do with it besides kick it without having others to play with. Of course he would have to wait until the court area was not being used for basketball by others.

cantravel-

What about your son taking his basketball in a lightweight backpack as his carry on? If this is what your son enjoys it would be awful if NCL had crappy ones and he wished he'd brought his. Better safe than sorry.

That's a great idea -- truth be told, I hadn't really thought about what might happen to a basketball in a checked bag -- might be rather deflated if it ended up in the bottom of the hold! And since sport (either basketball or rugby) is such fun for him, I agree, better safe than sorry. And it will be interesting to see the looks he gets as he goes through security with that in his bag!

The enclosed area with the basketball would be safe for a rugby ball...I don't know what you can do with it besides kick it without having others to play with. Of course he would have to wait until the court area was not being used for basketball by others.

I think he was hoping to find others who might be interested in rugby -- but basketball is likely to be more popular. He would also be happy to play basketball and it would be a great way to make friends. I am sure he can survive a few weeks without his beloved rugby!

Thanks to everyone for their helpful responses -- these boards can be a great source of advice, especially for someone new to cruising.

There are many new basketballs with built in pumps now, so you can take one of those deflated for travel and pump up on the ship!!!

I do not play rugby, but, perhaps there is similar pump up rugby ball.

If the sports court is not used, by all means have your son play any game he wants. You are over seas and rugby is more popular there, he may have more people to play with then he realizes!!!!

Archived