if you were to mix a drink in your cabin.....

rowlady

using a bar setup ordered ahead of time -no smuggling here :) what would be the best type of alcohol to choose in order to mix with whatever might be free at the buffet or in the restaurants? I have read that iced tea is easily available all day but don't know what type of alcohol would mix well with that - or what alcohol would mix best with the free juices they offer. We are leaving from Southampton and am not sure we can stop to purchase soda before we get to the port. The cost of the bottle is high enough so I really don't also want to pay for the mixers! We will be on the Jade and would love any suggestions..............

Thanks,

Debbie

If you're on a cruise ship, chances are you're drinking tropical drinks.... GADS, even in ALASKA they were still PLYING us with Mai Tai's and Painkillers. That being said, all the available fruit juices mix oh so yummily (yes, I said yummily) with rum.

So, IMHO, the alcohol I'd recommend is light bacardi. You can mix it with juices, and sodas alike. Rum and Sierra Mist (Pepsi's Answer to Sprite) is delightful!

Hope this *hickup* helps

JWK: Plied

I agree with Absolut. On my last cruise I took several boxes of the raspberry packets that go in water bottles. They were easy to pack and I mixed them with the ship's tap water which tasted fine. Good over ice. But I took it a step further and packed my small bullet style blender. Got limes from the bar. Loved it! For $83 we got about 40 drinks and didn't finish the bottle.

"Flavorless" vodka is a neutral spirit that mixes with about anything.

Vodka goes with almost anything. Bloody Mary's (get the tomato juice in the morning from room service), Screwdriver (get the orange juice in the morning and put in the fridge), Cranberry juice...just about anything goes with regular (flavorless) vodka. :)

Glad you're not trying to sneak!:) It hurts the rest of us in the end.

Go with the Vodka. Since juices are only available in the mornings for breakfast at no charge, we have room service bring us at least 2-3 "large" glasses of OJ and a couple grapefruit every day. We then store it in the frig and are able to mix drinks thru out the day. We also paid the high price this last trip for a bottle of booze.:)

Go with the Vodka. Since juices are only available in the mornings for breakfast at no charge, we have room service bring us at least 2-3 "large" glasses of OJ and a couple grapefruit every day. We then store it in the frig and are able to mix drinks thru out the day. We also paid the high price this last trip for a bottle of booze.:)

Yes, I forgot to mention getting grapefruit juice for "Salty Dogs". Yes, the bottle of booze seems expensive at first glance. But, when you think how much individual drinks cost, believe me, it is worth it! Plus, you get to decide how much you want in your glass, not someone else.

I have to agree vodka pretty much goes with everything. However, rum and iced tea is the best way to drink iced tea IMHO. If you do want the juices, definitely order extra with room service breakfast or get them at the buffet and fill your water bottle with them (easy to store in frig w/o worrying about tipping! Have fun.:)

I agree that vodka would be a good start. It mixes with OJ, Grapefruit Juice, punch, and lemonade (others, too). We always get Absolut for our bar setup.

Do you have any idea whether we could get olives and several teaspoons of dry vermouth were we to order a couple of bottles of vodka? Or would I also have to buy a bottle of vermouth (that would last me a month or more)? :)

Do you have any idea whether we could get olives and several teaspoons of dry vermouth were we to order a couple of bottles of vodka? Or would I also have to buy a bottle of vermouth (that would last me a month or more)? :)

Yes you can get olives , ask the bartender or your room service. Buy a small bottle of vermouth and pack in your bag..

Yes you can get olives , ask the bartender or your room service. Buy a small bottle of vermouth and pack in your bag..

OR... you can purchase a glass of vermouth at the bar, and keep it in your fridge in a container you've brought from home. Save you the trouble of "perhaps" getting sent to the naughty room. It's still considered "liquor." :)

using a bar setup ordered ahead of time -no smuggling here :) what would be the best type of alcohol to choose in order to mix with whatever might be free at the buffet or in the restaurants? I have read that iced tea is easily available all day but don't know what type of alcohol would mix well with that - or what alcohol would mix best with the free juices they offer. We are leaving from Southampton and am not sure we can stop to purchase soda before we get to the port. The cost of the bottle is high enough so I really don't also want to pay for the mixers! We will be on the Jade and would love any suggestions..............

Thanks,

Debbie

Juices are available in the buffet at breakfast. What I did last year on the gem was when I finished breakfast I would grab two cranberry juices and put them in the fridge in my room. You can mix any vodkas, rums, cordials in there. I usually did malibu

OR... you can purchase a glass of vermouth at the bar, and keep it in your fridge in a container you've brought from home. Save you the trouble of "perhaps" getting sent to the naughty room. It's still considered "liquor." :)

Wink

Good idea - thanks. Serves the purpose and achieves the objective. And who care what the bartender thinks?!?!

I never knew that, Wink. Thanks!!:)

:rolleyes:Vodka is THE choice! And it is hardly flavorless...ask anyone who drinks it straight-up or on-the rocks......like me! There is a big difference in flavors between brands.....I'll stick with my Absolut!:rolleyes:

You and another poster like Absolut. I'm glad to hear that, especially since you drink it on the rocks.. I've spent too much money on Grey Goose because I "thought" it's soo much better.

I could have saved $20 on our bar setup be choosing Absolut.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely give it another look.

I hope I didn't just start a huge debate.. Forgive me if that's the case.

Thanks,

Debbie

Nobody seems to have asked you this... what do you usually drink? Are you sure you're going to be drinking enough to warrant a bar set up? If you do enjoy a specific 'usual' cocktail, my recommendation is to order the liquor you usually enjoy and the get a soda card, assuming that will provide you with your mixer of choice. I drink rye, which definitely does not (in my opinion) go with iced tea or juice. In the past I always got a bar set up and carried on my own caffeine free diet coke to mix with it, but on our last cruise I didn't have time to pick up the soda so I just got a card. I ended up loving the convenience of the card at times when I wasn't interested in liquor.

If you're really set on ordering something that mixes well with things like juice or tea, I agree that vodka is an excellent choice, though rum and fruit juice is also very good (rum punch anyone?). If this is the way you want to go, I recommend having some home trials before making your decision; get yourself a bottle of vodka and/or a bottle of rum and make some drinks - or go to a local bar and try a few to see if they appeal to you.

The bar set-up is a great money saver, but only if you actually make use of it. If you don't expect to drink much, or if you end up not liking what you've ordered, it can end up being a pretty expensive 'money saver'. :)

You and another poster like Absolut. I'm glad to hear that, especially since you drink it on the rocks.. I've spent too much money on Grey Goose because I "thought" it's soo much better.

I could have saved $20 on our bar setup be choosing Absolut.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely give it another look.

I hope I didn't just start a huge debate.. Forgive me if that's the case.

I vote for Absolut as well. Very good for all kinds of drinks. Rum leaves me personally in a haze.:o I'll order one of those on the ship, especially if we are cruising the Caribbean, just to get in the spirit, you know.

Archived