? ordering custom made dress on ebay ?

millercat

Any and all info and experiences would be appreciated.

I have seen a couple of dresses that I would love to have. Prices are from 15 to 50 $ with shipping prices well over $100. As an example I saw a dress last night that was less than $15 so I emailed the seller about shipping and when it was all said and done it came to $179.00 They do ask for detailed measurements. I am a bit nervous about trying this. How exactly does this really play out, $15 for a custom made dress, $164 shipping? Could someone please explain this to me.

Thanks for your help,

Laine

Any and all info and experiences would be appreciated.

I have seen a couple of dresses that I would love to have. Prices are from 15 to 50 $ with shipping prices well over $100. As an example I saw a dress last night that was less than $15 so I emailed the seller about shipping and when it was all said and done it came to $179.00 They do ask for detailed measurements. I am a bit nervous about trying this. How exactly does this really play out, $15 for a custom made dress, $164 shipping? Could someone please explain this to me.

Thanks for your help,

Laine

Let's guess - the seller is in Hong Kong/China?

They are drawing you in with the low cost for the dress, and then making their profit from the shipping. This is against eBay's rules by way overcharging for shipping; can't remember what it's called at the moment. I would avoid any such seller, no matter how much I liked the dress. If someone is not going to be honest and fair upfront, I'm not going to risk purchasing their item.

Where is it being shipped from? Usually the made to orders come from China but it still wouldn't cost $164 for shipping. They are making their money on the shipping but eBay sellers supposedly are not permitted to to that. If you reverse the charges, made to order $164, shipping $15, that's more how the charges should play out.

Some marketing 101 going on here. Fall in love with a cheaply priced dress, then willing to pay inflated shipping because, after all the dress cost nothing.:p:D

If you're happy with the final TOTAL cost, just consider that.

Bear in mind, too, that some sellers say they will refund you if you don't like the item -- but they often don't refund shipping. Mostly this is a way to get around ebay's outrageous new fee system, but it is ALSO a way to offer refunds and still make money off the item. (Offering refunds moves a seller up higher in the ebay search returns)

Thank you all for confirming what I thought. I did see some of this type of auction from China but the one that I was looking at was actually from Australia. Regardless I will stay away from this type of ploy. On a happier note I did find DH a new Tux at a very reasonable price from here in the states.

Live and Learn,

Laine

If it's one of the China ebay stores and I'm guessing it is, think twice before you order. I've had several customers (brides, mothers and prom girls) in the last 3 weeks come in complaining they did not get the dresses they ordered. They had to fight for their money, and were getting no response from the ebay store. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

JoAnn

Just to add my own story - I actually ordered my wedding dress from a seller in China. This was my second marriage and although I wanted to wear a great dress, I wasn't about to spend the money that I would have when I was younger for the event. I saw a great dress from one of the sellers and knew it would cost thousands for the original. The shipping was high and the dress price was low. I am a regular buyer on ebay and I knew what they were doing. I bit the bullet and bought the dress. I sent them the measurements and hoped for the best. To be honest I wasn't really expecting much. The dress arrived in less than two weeks and truthfully --- it was beautiful and fit perfectly. I believe I got lucky and I would NEVER recommend that anybody else try this. I do think it is a crapshoot. If the dress had been lousy I would have been out the entire amount because I would not have gotten the shipping cost back and it would have cost a mint to send back to China.

Moral of the story - I don't have one, I feel guilty about buying something in that manner, but I looked great and wouldn't have bought a dress 1/4 as nice from a store.

I was just a discount ebay bride. Sorry :(

The reason for the shipping cost is due to custom fees that must be paid when shipping into the USA, and I am sure they are passing these fees onto you. (This is actually a good thing for our failing economy!)

There are some dress makers in China and Hong Kong that get around this by stating that it is a gift, not a sale and then there are no duties... This is illegal and wrong but it is done and explains why shipping costs vary by dressmaker.

I posted this web site on another post but eshakti.com will make just about any of their dresses semi-custom. I just used them for a maxi dress which is hard to find in a petite. They custom fit it to my height and chest for no additional charge. The dress is beautiful. The dresses run anywhere from about $40-100 dollars for a silk dress.

The reason for the shipping cost is due to custom fees that must be paid when shipping into the USA, and I am sure they are passing these fees onto you. (This is actually a good thing for our failing economy!)

There are some dress makers in China and Hong Kong that get around this by stating that it is a gift, not a sale and then there are no duties... This is illegal and wrong but it is done and explains why shipping costs vary by dressmaker.

Actually, the buyer is responsible for paying the customs/duty, not the seller, so if duty/taxes/customs are assessed, they are over and above the shipping, and must be paid by the buyer before the buyer receives the parcel. The fees are collected from the buyer by the post office or whoever is used for the delivery.

I buy quite a few clothing items via ebay - most of the time I am very happy with my purchases but admittedly Id be nervous about spending alot of money in the many shops that post from China/Hong Kong. Doesnt mean I wouldnt do it though if I wanted it bad enough.

If the item is over $100 - are you protected via your credit card if it doesnt materialise? I know in the UK credit card companies are jointly liable if a customer uses their card to purchase something over £100.

There is a great online shop in the UK whose dresses can be custom made, just an option - http://www.sexyher.co.uk (dont worry - it wont lead to any naughty sites)

They also delivery internationally.

Hope it works out whatever you decide.

The two sites that I have used on Ebay that are in China have been wonderful I admit the first time that I ordered, I was a bit leary...Just took a chance and as it turned out...I have bought six of the most beautiful dresses that I could ever hope to find anywhere. Granted it might not be the same with other sites...there is always a risk factor when ordering of the net...but for the prices of the dresses and the shipping...I figured I would chance it...On all of the dresses that I have ordered, there have been no extra charges of any kind. I always find out upfront the total amount to be charged including the shipping. I've had great communications with the sellers that I have used and plan to order more...I checked the labels in some of my dresses that I have ordered from places like Dillard's and Nordtrom...(Maggy London, LIz Claiborne, Cachet) and they are all made in China, Sri Lanka, etc. Right now I have my eye on a couple other dresses that I may purchase....Hope this helps.

Could you share the web sites you use please?

I would like to give them a try

Thanks

Lou

eveningdress_garden and evening dress-store

Hope the link works..These are the two sites that I have used...Both have been really good but I just prefer the first one that is listed. She is such a sweet lady and just answers all your questions. It's usually a pretty quick process. The last dress that I had made...did not come in the color I wanted...so I just told her what color...she made the dress and I had it in about two weeks..!

Drew's wife, thank you so much for the links. Would you please explain exactly what this means in $$

Import duties.taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges,These charges are the buyer's responsibility.please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding/buying.

Thanks again for your help,

Laine

Drew's wife, thank you so much for the links. Would you please explain exactly what this means in $$

Import duties.taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges,These charges are the buyer's responsibility.please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding/buying.

Thanks again for your help,

Laine

I guess it depends on what Country you are shipping from and too.. However, the only thing that I have ever been charged is ther exact amount of the dress plus the exact amount of shipping that is stated on the web site. It is ususally 26 dollars shipping on an item. Also the lady has an email on the site and she will usually give you a discount on more than one dress or the shipping. I think the second item is usually about $15.00 shipping. I always email her and ask the total amount and it had always been exactly as she quoted....Nothing extra.

Archived