Juneau Whale Watching companies

PEPI2

Is Dolphin Tours, Dolphin Enterprises and Dolphin Jet Boat Tours the same company?

I have seen these 3 names used on the boards..and sorry..but at they 3 different companies or just 1 called by similar names??

Thanks for any assistance!!

Yes, I think they're the same. Are the reviews good? (I'm lazy). I'm thinking of using them.

Thanks..I read one or two and they sounded good..I read more about Orca..but I have emailed them and left a voice message and never heard back. Dolphin answered the phone and woman there was very nice. The both have the same sized boats it seems.

I may just go with Dolfin...I am able to reach them easily and they are a little less expensive...but they won't drop me off at Mendenhall Glacier unless I am on their Glacier package too..they don't do drop off only at the Glacier..and I think Orca does. But if I can't reach Orca, I can't really book them...so....

I may just go with Dolfin...I am able to reach them easily and they are a little less expensive...but they won't drop me off at Mendenhall Glacier unless I am on their Glacier package too..they don't do drop off only at the Glacier..and I think Orca does. But if I can't reach Orca, I can't really book them...so....

Their combo tour is only $20 more than whale watching alone. The shuttle buses charge $14 one way for a ride from the glacier to the dock. $20 is worth it to me to get a RT ride plus a guide.

Their combo tour is only $20 more than whale watching alone. The shuttle buses charge $14 one way for a ride from the glacier to the dock. $20 is worth it to me to get a RT ride plus a guide.

Yes, it definately is..but I can't get times I need to so I can get back to ship....they have the combo tour available only early morning and later afternoon...neither can I do.....

But I can still do whale watching with them and then get to glacier on my own.

You do realize with this option, you are adding at least an hour in transit time??

Yes..but the only company I have read that will drop you Mendenhall after the whale watch is Orca..but I haven't been able to reach them..not yet anyway!

Any other suggestions?

Yes..but the only company I have read that will drop you Mendenhall after the whale watch is Orca..but I haven't been able to reach them..not yet anyway!

Any other suggestions?

Hey Pepi2,

Orca is not the only ones who drop you off at Mendenhall. We went out with Harv & Marv, and not only will they do that, it's a normal part of their service to stop by Mendenhall and the fish hatchery on the way back to town. The experience with them was terrific; both Captains are great, the boats super stable, and their max trip size is 6, so it's very comfortable. Not like jamming onto some of the bigger boats we saw. Plus they're not as intrusive. We saw Orcas/Killer Whales, Humpbacks and Sea Lions! My wife did a blog while we were on our trip May 22nd - June 2nd, and posted photos from both the whale watch and Mendenhall: http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog/ljandbev/1/tpod.html

We wanted to stay longer at Mendenhall than 15 minutes, so we just took the shuttle bus back to town for $7 each when we were done. If your interested in them, just Google them and you'll find their site and contact info. If you need more info, please let me know. Have a great trip!

L.J.

Went on whale watching tour with Dolphin tours a few weeks ago and I can definitely recommend them - they were wonderful. They pick u up by the cruise ship dock near the tram that goes up the mtn. The driver was wonderful and the boat we had was midsize approx 20 passengers with a front and rear platform for taking pictures when you find the whales and boy did we find them - great pictures! Not sure I would want to be on too small of a boat as there were some waves on the bay. To my surprise there was a great picture and view of Mendenhall as we came back in to the dock! On the way back to the ship the bus driver pulled over for a photo opportunity with Mendenhall in the background off the main road. If you want a closer view there is a bus that leaves right by the cruise ships for $7 ea way that goes to Mendenhall. The Dolphin whale trip was the highlight of our trip! :D

Hey Pepi2,

Orca is not the only ones who drop you off at Mendenhall. We went out with Harv & Marv, and not only will they do that, it's a normal part of their service to stop by Mendenhall and the fish hatchery on the way back to town. The experience with them was terrific; both Captains are great, the boats super stable, and their max trip size is 6, so it's very comfortable. Not like jamming onto some of the bigger boats we saw. Plus they're not as intrusive. We saw Orcas/Killer Whales, Humpbacks and Sea Lions! My wife did a blog while we were on our trip May 22nd - June 2nd, and posted photos from both the whale watch and Mendenhall: http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog/ljandbev/1/tpod.html

We wanted to stay longer at Mendenhall than 15 minutes, so we just took the shuttle bus back to town for $7 each when we were done. If your interested in them, just Google them and you'll find their site and contact info. If you need more info, please let me know. Have a great trip!

L.J.[/quot

Thanks..I will check out your blog...I have spoken to Harv and Marv..and they are booked for date and time slot I need..I am a bit too late to get them! LOL...they sound great though!

Try contacting Orca and Harv and Marv again by phone. Factor in Alaska time- 4 hours behind EST.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it was 3 or 4 hours behind EST..

No trouble reaching Harv and Marv or Dolphin..just Orca...but I will try again tomm.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it was 3 or 4 hours behind EST..

No trouble reaching Harv and Marv or Dolphin..just Orca...but I will try again tomm.

They are open early, you might want to consider calling them at 8am, their time. They certainly are very busy. I've had some problems with emails in Alaska, both with incomplete sending and receiving and NOT due to any ignoring etc, just not getting through. When I was there a couple weeks ago, I was actually shown a sent email to my correct email address, that I never got????

They are open early, you might want to consider calling them at 8am, their time. They certainly are very busy. I've had some problems with emails in Alaska, both with incomplete sending and receiving and NOT due to any ignoring etc, just not getting through. When I was there a couple weeks ago, I was actually shown a sent email to my correct email address, that I never got????

Oh..that is good to know! Thanks so much..this board is sooo great!!

I still can't believe I am going to Alaska!

I really want to go on a smaller boat than the cruise ships offer, but there is only 1 hour between when we arrive in Juneau and when we meet for the Whale Watching Trip. Would we get reimbursed or be allowed to go on a later trip? I'd like to do Dolphin's combo trip that leaves at 3:00pm, but if we missed it, I'd be willing to do the 5:00pm trip (not a combo). Would they let me?

I really want to go on a smaller boat than the cruise ships offer, but there is only 1 hour between when we arrive in Juneau and when we meet for the Whale Watching Trip. Would we get reimbursed or be allowed to go on a later trip? I'd like to do Dolphin's combo trip that leaves at 3:00pm, but if we missed it, I'd be willing to do the 5:00pm trip (not a combo). Would they let me?

You need to contact the vendor, direct and get their policy information.

Harv & Marv's!!!!!!

I 2nd! If they're avalable, you'll have a get time in a nice, small, uncrowded boat. From what I saw, it looks like the whale watch captains are very social, unlike chater fishing Captains. After all, 6 boats can all watch a breaching whale. Only one boat can catch a given fish - usually;). Good luck to those of you searching!

L.J.

You need to contact the vendor, direct and get their policy information.

I called them (Dolphin) and they are very accommodating to cruise ship passengers. He said if we're late due to the ship arriving late or something (i.e tendering), they'd either wait for us, schedule the glacier tour for after the whale watch or put us on the 5pm boat trip. Very nice man. So, I signed up with them.

I called them (Dolphin) and they are very accommodating to cruise ship passengers. He said if we're late due to the ship arriving late or something (i.e tendering), they'd either wait for us, schedule the glacier tour for after the whale watch or put us on the 5pm boat trip. Very nice man. So, I signed up with them.

Good deal - let us know how it goes!

L.J.

• 9 months later...

We are going with Captain Louis with Alaska Galore Tours. There new tour is a whale/bear/flightseeing combo, but they can also offer a bear/flight, or a whale/flight combo. I think that this is the most bank for your buck!

• 2 weeks later...

We are in port 1100/2000 and on advice taken here on CC of best coy's and having checked availability .... I have a choice of Orca at 1200 or H&M will pick me up at Glacier at 1515 and back to ship by 2100. I have to decide quickly now... both get great reviews, H&M will cost a $30 more... and it comes down to what other time to see the glacier/town and maybe take the tram.........

do I just toss a coin?!

Archived