1st cruise in 1 week! Packing Questions, etc.

Our 1st cruise for our 1st anniversary is 1 week away :D (NCL Dawn, NY to Bermuda, 6/21) so I will be working on laundry/shopping/packing this week. A few questions have come to mind as I make my "To Do" list...

1. At the time NCL sent my Welcome Aboard packet we were booked in Deck 10 BA balcony. Recently we were upgraded to Deck 11 AF mini suite :) The luggage tags in the Welcome Aboard packet are bright orange. Does this bright orange correspond to my previous cabin, or can I still use them?? I don't want my bags delayed...

2. Are the hair dryers on the Dawn high quality and regular size? I have very thick hair and I don't want to waste time drying my hair with a rinky-dink mini blow dryer (like often found in hotels)! Trying to decide whether or not I should bring my own...

3. We are taking Amtrak from Philly to Penn Station. We plan to take a taxi from Penn Station to the cruise terminal. Where exactly do I tell the taxi driver to take us?? Anyone know approximately how much $ this taxi ride will cost us? Just curious.

4. Is it true that balcony & mini-suites can book dinner reservations up to two days in advance? Also, we booked the Anniversary Package for $79 which among other things includes dinner at Le Bistro. Is it correct that I can book our Le Bistro dinner in advance for any night of the cruise? Or only up to two days in advance?

Thanks!

Our 1st cruise for our 1st anniversary is 1 week away :D (NCL Dawn, NY to Bermuda, 6/21) so I will be working on laundry/shopping/packing this week. A few questions have come to mind as I make my "To Do" list...

1. At the time NCL sent my Welcome Aboard packet we were booked in Deck 10 BA balcony. Recently we were upgraded to Deck 11 AF mini suite :) The luggage tags in the Welcome Aboard packet are bright orange. Does this bright orange correspond to my previous cabin, or can I still use them?? I don't want my bags delayed... The color doesn't really matter....the cabin number does. The designation "Forward....Mid....Aft" is tied to the cabin number (tells them which elevator to be used) You can try getting new tags online via the 'e-docs' process on the NCL website.

2. Are the hair dryers on the Dawn high quality and regular size? I have very thick hair and I don't want to waste time drying my hair with a rinky-dink mini blow dryer (like often found in hotels)! Trying to decide whether or not I should bring my own... They are regular, full size 1500 watt machines...should be fine for you. I think that they have the "cold shot" feature, too if that is important.

3. We are taking Amtrak from Philly to Penn Station. We plan to take a taxi from Penn Station to the cruise terminal. Where exactly do I tell the taxi driver to take us?? Anyone know approximately how much $ this taxi ride will cost us? Just curious. Sorry, can't help with this.

4. Is it true that balcony & mini-suites can book dinner reservations up to two days in advance? Also, we booked the Anniversary Package for $79 which among other things includes dinner at Le Bistro. Is it correct that I can book our Le Bistro dinner in advance for any night of the cruise? Or only up to two days in advance? I don't know specifically, but I would try it once onboard.

Thanks!

Have a great cruise...happy anniversary

1. At the time NCL sent my Welcome Aboard packet we were booked in Deck 10 BA balcony. Recently we were upgraded to Deck 11 AF mini suite :) The luggage tags in the Welcome Aboard packet are bright orange. Does this bright orange correspond to my previous cabin, or can I still use them?? I don't want my bags delayed...

I would contact NLC about the luggage tags...they can mail them to you or you can print them out on your printer and laminate them.

2. Are the hair dryers on the Dawn high quality and regular size? I have very thick hair and I don't want to waste time drying my hair with a rinky-dink mini blow dryer (like often found in hotels)! Trying to decide whether or not I should bring my own...

We are light packers but if you think you need your hair dryer, bring it.

3. We are taking Amtrak from Philly to Penn Station. We plan to take a taxi from Penn Station to the cruise terminal. Where exactly do I tell the taxi driver to take us?? Anyone know approximately how much $ this taxi ride will cost us? Just curious.

Again, I would call NCL to get the exact address. Did you ask if NCL has transportation from Philly to NYC? Princess offered a bus from Lancaster, PA to the Brooklyn cruise terminal last year at a very reasonable cost...I think it was $79/per person round trip. It was hassel free and a great way to start the trip.

4. Is it true that balcony & mini-suites can book dinner reservations up to two days in advance? Also, we booked the Anniversary Package for $79 which among other things includes dinner at Le Bistro. Is it correct that I can book our Le Bistro dinner in advance for any night of the cruise? Or only up to two days in advance?

A mini suite is really nothing more than a delux balcony and neither enjoy the perks of a full suite. Try and book the restaurants first think in the morning if you want to get a choice dining time. My best advice about dining on NCL would be to RELAX...sometimes there is a wait and sometimes you are seating immediately. Go with the flow and you will have a great time!

Thanks!

Happy anniversary and I hope your marriage is as happy as ours has been! This board is a huge wealth of great advice!

Thanks!

My wife thought the hairdryer in our cabin on the Pearl, while adequate, wasn't near as fast as her own. For my bald head, it didn't matter.

3. We are taking Amtrak from Philly to Penn Station. We plan to take a taxi from Penn Station to the cruise terminal. Where exactly do I tell the taxi driver to take us?? Anyone know approximately how much $ this taxi ride will cost us? Just curious. It cost us about $15 last year. It all depends on the traffic. The Manhatten Cruise Terminal is 711 12th Ave at West 55th Street. The worst part is dragging the luggage up the escalator to the street.

4. Is it true that balcony & mini-suites can book dinner reservations up to two days in advance? Also, we booked the Anniversary Package for $79 which among other things includes dinner at Le Bistro. Is it correct that I can book our Le Bistro dinner in advance for any night of the cruise? Or only up to two days in advance? You can book your LeBistro dinner at any time with the anniversary package. Otherwise you can book 48 hours in advance.

Thanks!

Have fun and RELAX;)

Patty.. the only things I can really add to what others have said are these:

1. Always pack a highlighter for marking activities or events that are listed in the Freestyle Daily that will be delivered to your room each night for the next days events. As you read though it, highlight the events or activites you want to attend and that will keep you from missing them. Or at least help keep you from missing them. The Freestyle Daily is PACKED with tons of information and it is easy to overlook something the next day when you are busy going from one thing to another.

2. I hope this doesn't freighten you as I do not mean it to, but it is not super uncommon for ships to loose power for a short while at night. It has never happened to us in our six cruises, but you do read about it happening from time to time. Since I first heard of that happening I have always tried to remember to packed a small flashlight (you know the kind that is about the size of a small cigar but very bright). Keep it on the little side table by the bed and if you have a power outage in the middle of the night and you wake up, you have no worries.

3. As far as clothes to take, I can tell you I have yet to take a cruise and not overpack. I am getting so much better, but still a work in progress. NCL no longer has self service laundry, however we have never found their laundry prices to be that expensive. Especially compared to our own local laundry or laundry prices in hotels. Don't be afraid to use them. For us, it is SOOO much better to spend that little bit of extra money for the ships laundry, than to lug around extra luggage and/or pay the airlines for the extra luggage or weight.

4. Do not stress that much about booking speciality restaurants. When we first started sailing with NCL, they were packed full every night. I don't know if it is the economy or what, but since then attendance in them has had a steady decline. Our last two cruises, May 08 and Oct 08, we could walk up to any restaurant we wanted to dine and at get a seating at least for some time that night. The exception to that is Teppanyaki as it is almost always full. Cagney's and LeBistro are popular, but I bet you will have no worrys. If your anniversary falls on one of the specific nights of the cruise and that is what you are concerned about, go directly to the area where they take reservations (it will be posted in the Freestyle Daily) and explain to them you really really need a reservation that night for your special occasion. I would bet dollar to doughnuts they will accomodate. (Dollars to doughnuts.. is that how the saying goes? It is one my grandmother used to say.. LOL).

5. Relax. Your first cruise will be like no other. Those of us who are addicted to cruising are still chasing that first time cruise dragon. It is never quite the same. Oh we love our cruises, but us addicts... well...we are still chasing that "high" from that first cruise. The magic of it. Just go at it with a positive attitude, relax, take what may come with a grain of salt, and realize that no cruise is "perfect". It isn't until you get home after any little issues have popped up and are over with that you realize it was still a "perfect and magical" vacation.

Patty.. the only things I can really add to what others have said are these:

5. Relax. Your first cruise will be like no other. Those of us who are addicted to cruising are still chasing that first time cruise dragon. It is never quite the same. Oh we love our cruises, but us addicts... well...we are still chasing that "high" from that first cruise. The magic of it. Just go at it with a positive attitude, relax, take what may come with a grain of salt, and realize that no cruise is "perfect". It isn't until you get home after any little issues have popped up and are over with that you realize it was still a "perfect and magical" vacation.

Aaah so true, my DW and I are bound for a our second and third cruises this January. We feel totally addicted. We are so addicted that we are trying hard to reduce our expenses to afford cruises (we should be doing so anyways! :D ) and because we were spoiled with a balcony on our first cruise are willing to take an inside cabin if meant the difference of cruising or not. In actuallity the inside cabins are well designed and it would just mean that we would get our butts up top side sooner to take in the beauty and sun...so it is not really a sacrifice. I am sure there a lot of people quite comfortable with an inside.......never smoked before, is this what it feels to have a need for a smoke? :D:D:D:D

4. Do not stress that much about booking speciality restaurants. When we first started sailing with NCL, they were packed full every night. I don't know if it is the economy or what, but since then attendance in them has had a steady decline. Our last two cruises, May 08 and Oct 08, we could walk up to any restaurant we wanted to dine and at get a seating at least for some time that night. The exception to that is Teppanyaki as it is almost always full. Cagney's and LeBistro are popular, but I bet you will have no worrys. If your anniversary falls on one of the specific nights of the cruise and that is what you are concerned about, go directly to the area where they take reservations (it will be posted in the Freestyle Daily) and explain to them you really really need a reservation that night for your special occasion. I would bet dollar to doughnuts they will accomodate. (Dollars to doughnuts.. is that how the saying goes? It is one my grandmother used to say.. LOL).

[/quote

Just got off the Dawn this morning.

We made a reservation on Friday for 6:30 Sat at Bamboo. When I asked what time was available, the reservationist said "any time your want". There were very few reservations. I don't think you have to worry too much about reservations. BTW the dinner at Bamboo was fantastic and I ususally don't eat Chinese.

Another few packing tips: If you have a lot of electronics like battery chargers for cameras, ipods, lapttops etc. take a power strip. Electrical outlets are scarce in the cabins. Duck tape also is handy for multiple uses. I used it to hold my powerstrip in place and cover an extention cord across the floor to the night stand.

Archived