Imformal

JamesOceanVillage

Hey, Princess's Ships and Intenerys look amazing but I am a bit concerned about dinning. I like to go Informal on holiday so can somebody please explain the reastrants for the Imformal and the Formal nights, what are the non like, what do u wear ,also what would a 14 yr old boy wear in the main dinning room?

<<<<<< Sorry Informal

Princess Cruise lines is quite a fews Steps above NCL. yes like going from Albania to Austria...

Food services and staff are trained well. Quality is there. Food is always subjective if your comparing the same quality of ingredients...

Not much nickel and dimeing on Princess Ships I think they number now 17 in the fleet.

On clothes since your paying the pay For Places aboard ships do not have a dress code but most do so appropriately.

To me I do have dress clothes which I wear.

To better understand what is the firms policies..

just go to there main site

http://www.princess.com

and then look , see and have your answers better from the source..eh..:cool:

Hey, Princess's Ships and Intenerys look amazing but I am a bit concerned about dinning. I like to go Informal on holiday so can somebody please explain the reastrants for the Imformal and the Formal nights, what are the non like, what do u wear ,also what would a 14 yr old boy wear in the main dinning room?

<<<<<< Sorry Informal

We have just returned from an Alaskan cruise on the Coral Princess. We were surprised at the informal attire - even on formal nights. There were very few people dressed in tuxes and gowns. Most people just wore pants/shirts/sweaters - men and women. I would guesstimate about 65% of the people had jeans on every nite for dinner, this was a big surprise to us. I thought they were banned from the dining rooms. If it was a formal nite the only person I saw that was not allowed in at the biginning of dinner service was because he was wearing sneakers. He was just told to come back at 8:30. Other non-formal nights sneakers were no problem. We did notice the waiters were really pushing the wine/drinks. They would come around trying to sell you bottled water, wine, after-dinner drinks. One of the waiters was visably mad when everyone said 'no thank you'. I know that this is how they get their tips but if you don't want anything, there should be no problems. We looked around every nite and very few people were ordering wine with their dinner. My guess is because of the cost.

On Princess for formal nights, you will have the option of eating at the buffet or room service if you do not wish to dress that night. Note that room service is a limited menu if you are not in a suite.

On formal night, you also have the option of eating in the MDR if you don't want to dress up. You can wear a collared shirt and dark pants. As long as you look neat, don't wear shorts, and do not have holes in your clothing, they generally don't care what you wear. You're on vacation, so feel free to be casual as long as you don't go overboard.

It's rude for people to not give you all the options for dining. The buffet and your room are not your only options.

This is an ongoing debate and MOST passengers follow the suggested dress code of formal night, i.e., dark suit or tux for men, particularly European cruises. A 14 year old boy would be OK with a collared shirt and slacks (not jeans.)

If you don't wish to get dressed up, there are options other than going to the dining room. You can choose to go to the buffet, room service, order the Ultimate Balcony Dinner (extra charge) or to one of the alternative specialty restaurants (extra charge.)

No matter how much people want to downplay it, formal night is a special night when most people dress up.

Book NCL and you can eat in the dining room in shorts.

<<<<<< Sorry Informal

A viable option if their itinerary matches up with the itinerary that the OP was referring to on Princess. Many of us don't choose a cruise line based on the name on the side of the ship, but rather based on the exact itinerary that the particular ship is sailing.

Why is the Princess board constantly giving business to other lines

Comfortable go to NCL

Fun go to Carnival

Activities go to RCCL

Stuffy and uptight to Princess......maybe?

OP- Many passengers enjoy the formal setting on Princess and DO follow the dress code. This is a recommended guideline so above all look presentable. A friend of ours wore traditional African outfit (no shirt, no jacket, no tie) and was welcome many times on Princess sailings. I doubt an International cruise would expect someone to conform to the American way of formal. If they are too strict for a mass market line, the impact could be devastating. Once they allow African Joe without the tie, or someone else in a kilt, you are in;) Look nice and decent, most adults can manage that, I do believe. Most of all don't be put off by some of the things you read here. Your experience on board will be quite different. I promise you will be wondering...WTH was that all about. Since my cruise I am still asking that question :-)

After spending a few nights in the dining room with Anytime dining, we just ate at the buffet or specialty restaurants for the rest of the cruise and on our next Princess cruise. We just didn't feel like sitting so long for food that we didn't care for that much. At the buffet, you can eat little tastes of lots of different foods, and you can get to the theatre or MUTS in time for seats. On Celebrity and RCCL, we like going to the dining room, but on Princess this works better for us...to each his own, as they say. I usually dress nicely each night wherever I eat, though.

Alaska is such a different marketplace now with even Airlines ca=harging to use there onboard W.C.'s...

The NEW Charges coming as well on July, 2009 A.D.

So many people have to fly in to our Largest State of Alaska and there weight limits forbid monetarily for most carrying many clothing cases.. yes they used to be called suit cases/...\

I again researched this marketplace for more cruises there again this year.

The lowest cost factoring I saw was , so far, $249.00 Seven Nights Cruise.

R/T Airfare Coach even is $1189.00 $USD.:mad:

Yikes * thats gross eh...a few hours in a metal tube vs a fine ship.... for 7 nights..

When are cruise lines going to buy airlines now?

On the Waiters Wining... well I also think there whing is not needed and always say no to this type of UnSolicted Slam Sales!:eek:

We have just returned from an Alaskan cruise on the Coral Princess. We were surprised at the informal attire - even on formal nights. There were very few people dressed in tuxes and gowns. Most people just wore pants/shirts/sweaters - men and women. I would guesstimate about 65% of the people had jeans on every nite for dinner, this was a big surprise to us. I thought they were banned from the dining rooms. If it was a formal nite the only person I saw that was not allowed in at the biginning of dinner service was because he was wearing sneakers. He was just told to come back at 8:30. Other non-formal nights sneakers were no problem. We did notice the waiters were really pushing the wine/drinks. They would come around trying to sell you bottled water, wine, after-dinner drinks. One of the waiters was visably mad when everyone said 'no thank you'. I know that this is how they get their tips but if you don't want anything, there should be no problems. We looked around every nite and very few people were ordering wine with their dinner. My guess is because of the cost.

Archived