Why does Carnival charge a gratuity for mini-bar items?

lovesublime

I've never really thought about it until now. I did notice on our last two cruises that we were charged a 15% gratuity for taking items in the fridge. Also, were charged a gratuity for drinking the bottled water on the desk. Let me clarify that we indeed drink all the juices, cokes, beers, bottled water etc. in the cabin.

We find it convenient and don't mind paying for it. I just don't understand the 'gratuity' added to a self serve mini-bar. Is it because the steward has to restock? That seems lame, because he/she has to daily replenish towels, change the bed and so on. What's the big deal with filling the fridge with a few drinks and a bottle of water? I guess it's not a big deal, but I'm just wondering how Carnival justifies charging a gratuity for a self serve mini-fridge. I don't know of any hotels that do.

I agree...it is LAME!!! But nonetheless...they're going to do it! Call it...the price of service, the tip on restocking it...(WHICH THEY DON'T DO NEAR AS OFTEN AS THEY SHOULD IF YOU ASK ME!!!!) But yes, they do change the towels etc...and you tip for that too ya know!!!

Its just all part of it! I just totally go into the thing...expecting to get nickeled and dimed to death...that way it doesn't surprise or hurt me so much. I just wish they would do a better job of keeping up with my mini-fridge use...when I do so indulge!

Is it because the steward has to restock?

I am guessing that is the reason. Same as a gratuity is added to any drink order (alcoholic or non) you make at any of the bars or with any of the roving drink waiters. I'm not saying it's right, just that it's consistent - someone is bringing you the beverage in both cases.

incentive for your steward to report it being consumed (whether or not it really was :rolleyes: - in our case, it was NOT, but we were charged anyways) - I guess you could adjust your steward's normal tips downward accordingly if you feel so inclined.;)

Yeah...does kinda suck!! It's not like their mixing and serving the "Drink" to you. Your opening a "Mini-Fridge" and taking out something (even if it's only a bottle of water) they have to replace. BIG WHOOP!!! It's kinda the same reason I get mad when I am sitting in the sports lounge watching a game (for 1 or 2 hours) and can't run a tab!! I would rather pay a 15% gratuity on a tab of drinks as opposed to each individual one!!

whether or not it really was :rolleyes: - in our case, it was NOT, but we were charged anyways

That happend on our last cruise - steward charged us for restocking a bottle of Courvoisier which we did not not drink. Can't stand the stuff but it wasn't worth arguing with him over the $6-7, especially since I couldn't prove anything. :mad:

incentive for your steward to report it being consumed (whether or not it really was :rolleyes: - in our case, it was NOT, but we were charged anyways) - I guess you could adjust your steward's normal tips downward accordingly if you feel so inclined.;)

I wouldn't adjust the steward's tips down. I just think it's weird to charge a 'gratuity' for a self serve bar. I mean, how much trouble is it for the steward to show up with towels, toliet paper and a few drinks for the fridge? BTW, you're not the only one who has been charged for items they didn't consume. My sister and her family were charged three times (Carnival Spirit) for items they didn't touch. They were able to get the charges removed, but it proved to be a major hassle and probably not worth the time and effort in the end.

BTW, you're not the only one who has been charged for items they didn't consume. My sister and her family were charged three times (Carnival Spirit) for items they didn't touch. They were able to get the charges removed, but it proved to be a major hassle and probably not worth the time and effort in the end.

I tried to get the charge removed - I was told it would be investigated. :confused:

The charge was not removed, and while we did not adjust the steward's tips down, he did miss out on an extra cash tip because of this. I doubt his 15% tip on that bottle of water was worth misreporting it.

A Coke=$1.75 + Restock/gratuity of 15% = 26 CENTS

Am I mistaken, or is 26 CENTS the problem???

Obviously removal of ALL auto-tips is called for, along with a stern letter to Carnival HQ. Copies to AP, Reuters, NBC, CBS, et al....

Obviously removal of ALL auto-tips is called for, along with a stern letter to Carnival HQ. Copies to AP, Reuters, NBC, CBS, et al....

It's not the twenty-six cents, Dan, it's the principle.

Thank you! It's not like the steward (or anyone for that matter) is breaking out the mini-fridge cokes and is finding a glass to fill with ice and then serving it to me-I'm doing it myself. And both of my S&S statements did state gratuity for mini-bar items at 15%. That includes consumption of the bottle of water sitting on the desk. Why is there a gratuity? That's all I want to know.

I already pay the auto tips. Then, in addition we do tip our stewards and waiters extra, in cash-individually. Plus, we're paying 15% extra to drink the over-priced bottle of water sitting in our cabin. Come on, this is ridiculous.

Added to the fact that you are charged 3X what a coke cost you anywhere else. Then a "restocking fee", to be honest it's a " gouging you cuz we can fee".

Added to the fact that you are charged 3X what a coke cost you anywhere else. Then a "restocking fee", to be honest it's a " gouging you cuz we can fee".

Nobody's forcing you to buy.

Before refrigerators, if you ordered a coke for your room, you would still pay the 15%.

BTW, unless somethings changed, you still have the ability to change the 15% on any bar bill to whatever you like. I'm not sure you have that ability on the mini bar, or even how it's transacted.

With Dan it's more the opportunity to make take a shot at a poster. That's his MO.

When someone makes even the slightest criticism of Carnival out come the pom poms and the venom for the poster.

Pretty sad, really.

Dr. Jack

But think, if you could get the booze in your fridge without the gratuity, they would lose customers at the bar where it would always cost 15%more. You could just get all your beers from the fridge, and order virgin drinks at the bar to throw your little bottle of rum or vodka etc. into. Cheap, maybe. But you'd save nearly a buck on alcohol. This adds up big time over the week!

If there were no gratuity in your room, they would lose that 15% for everything you drink. I know I'd just drink my room beer if it was cheaper than the bar, and however many other people decided to do that, then you're cutting into the gratuities pot for the bartending staff.

For a business, the gratuities in the room just make sense.

Well, I've had my moment of clarity for the day. have a good one!

I tried to get the charge removed - I was told it would be investigated. :confused:

The charge was not removed, and while we did not adjust the steward's tips down, he did miss out on an extra cash tip because of this. I doubt his 15% tip on that bottle of water was worth misreporting it.

So let me get this straight, you punished the steward for something he/she has absolutely no control over. It is the cruise line charging the 15% not the Steward. If you don't like this policy write to Carnival, and/or put it on your comment cards, but it seems unfair to either reduce the Steward's tip or not give him extra for an otherwise good job because of something outside their control.

So let me get this straight, you punished the steward for something he/she has absolutely no control over. It is the cruise line charging the 15% not the Steward. If you don't like this policy write to Carnival, and/or put it on your comment cards, but it seems unfair to either reduce the Steward's tip or not give him extra for an otherwise good job because of something outside their control.

How did they punish the steward.....he didn't remove his auto tips:confused: The steward is the one who does inventory on the mini bar.....I would think he does have a control it that.......

I agree with the others........the charge is lame.......

Cokes are up to $1.95.

Passengers are allowed to carry a reasonable number of cokes onto the ship, can drink the cokes from the fridge and replenish the supply themselves.

The cokes will cost substantially less and they will pocket the tips themselves. They might have to pay a deposit and tax on the shore cokes, but oh well.

A lot of people don't seem to want to carry a 12 pack of so of coke through the embarkation process. They want others to do it for them but balk at paying for the convenience and service. :confused::confused:

Archived