Mush Dog Camp vs Whale Watch

PEPI2

We would ideally have liked to book the mush dog sledding in the snow..but it's just not in the budge for this trip....so we were planning on going whale watching..now we see we can go to the summer camp and do the dog sled on the wheeled sled on gravel or whatever.

Any feedback on this? It is in a much lower price range and would be something different...but is it worth it??

I'd rather not book the dog sled camp through the cruise line. Anyone know who I can contact book on my own if we decide to do this

Any thoughts on doing the summer dog sled camp vs whale watching?? We have been whale watching before on the East coast...it was great..I imagine it would be even better in Alaska...

I don't know what to do!

The dog sled cart rides in both Juneau and Skagway are ship contracted. Out of Skagway- IF you wish to consider a car rental and driving to Carcross, there is a cheap cart ride available at Caribou Crossing- with the bonus of a very scenic drive. "Necessary" is the purchase of Murray's Guide.

IF you are going to be in Seward- Seavey's cart rides are top notch and more reasonable in cost. My opinion only, but I took my kids on the Skagway cart ride, years ago, when it was independent and $30. :) Now that it's over $100, just would not be worth it to me.

The dog sled cart rides in both Juneau and Skagway are ship contracted. Out of Skagway- IF you wish to consider a car rental and driving to Carcross, there is a cheap cart ride available at Caribou Crossing- with the bonus of a very scenic drive. "Necessary" is the purchase of Murray's Guide.

IF you are going to be in Seward- Seavey's cart rides are top notch and more reasonable in cost. My opinion only, but I took my kids on the Skagway cart ride, years ago, when it was independent and $30. :) Now that it's over $100, just would not be worth it to me.

We will just be in Juneau..and the cruise line has it for $130 which sounds very high to me for something like that....I prefer the whale watching, but our son is leaning for the sledding...I have seen You Tube videos.and while it looks interesting and fun...it does not seem work $130 to me ....I really appreciate your input!

If it is the only time I am going to Alaska, I would book whale watching as my No.1 priority excursion

You can come here to Colorado and ride with the huskies. Can't see any humpback whales down here though.

I second whale watching with Cap'n Lar. I did enjoy the Skagway dirt dog ride and learned some about dog-racing, but I agree that $130 seems a bit steep. Plus if the weather is bad, I'd much rather be whale-watching. (frankly, I'd rather be whale-watching anyway)

Okay...so I was all set to book the whale watch...agree with you all that that would be the best, most amazing to do....then my son let's me know he'd be so disappointed if he didn't do the helicopter glacier trek...so I figure..where else are we ever gonna do that?? (the helicopter to the mush dogs was not in the budget..but we can at least swing this)

So now I booked that!!

I am disappointed about the whale watching..but we can't do both (due to schedule and $$ issues)...

But when they heck do you get to go atop a glacier..right??

Okay...so I was all set to book the whale watch...agree with you all that that would be the best, most amazing to do....then my son let's me know he'd be so disappointed if he didn't do the helicopter glacier trek...so I figure..where else are we ever gonna do that?? (the helicopter to the mush dogs was not in the budget..but we can at least swing this)

So now I booked that!!

I am disappointed about the whale watching..but we can't do both (due to schedule and $$ issues)...

You and your sons will really enjoy the glacier trek - you can whale watch next time.....

The first time I went to Alaska, I took my family with me. I invited all 3 grandsons to helicopt (word?) to the glacier with me, and only one took me up on it. So we did the glacier walk in the am and I went whale-watching by myself in the afternoon. I'll email the brave one and get his feedback. I'm not sure it's $-for-$ worth it. But... if his heart is set...

I don't think I'd do the dog trip in Juneau. The one in Skagway has been established for a long time. I think the one in Juneau is a new copy.

So now I booked that!!

Any chance you are near Ma. This summer??? I frequently go whale watching out of Gloucester (not Boston), and will be on 4 trips next week. It's a peak year with the sand eels about 15miles out (migrate to up to 25 miles out depending on the year). Overall- humpback heaven for whale watchers this season. :)

Any chance you are near Ma. This summer??? I frequently go whale watching out of Gloucester (not Boston), and will be on 4 trips next week. It's a peak year with the sand eels about 15miles out (migrate to up to 25 miles out depending on the year). Overall- humpback heaven for whale watchers this season. :)

I am not planning on being up in that area this Summer..but I am on the east coast...but maybe another Summer. We did the whale watch up in Bar Harbor several years ago..really enjoyed it. Actually, we started out planning a trip to Gloucester to whale watch..and it somehow ended up being a trip to Bar Harbor...so yes, we can see whales again another time....or hwo knows..maybe life will take us back to Alaska another time!!

Budgetqueen...we've also saw them in Hawaii one year. So I guess I shouldn't be too disappointed. The glacier experience is a once in a lifetime thing for us...and what a great way to see the scenery!

From grandson: I greatly enjoyed the glacier trip and thought it was completely worth it. Aside from the momentary fear that I would slip and meet a deep, chilling (no pun intended) end, it is definitely an experience that sticks out in my mind. If your friend goes, tell him to drink the water if the guide says it is safe to. It was delicious, remember?

Oh, well. who can expect to get insights out of kids. I remember it quite well, but I also remember the beautiful scenery seen from the helicopter, and falling down a lot because I didn't wear the footgear offered by Coastal.

From grandson: I greatly enjoyed the glacier trip and thought it was completely worth it. Aside from the momentary fear that I would slip and meet a deep, chilling (no pun intended) end, it is definitely an experience that sticks out in my mind. If your friend goes, tell him to drink the water if the guide says it is safe to. It was delicious, remember?

Oh, well. who can expect to get insights out of kids. I remember it quite well, but I also remember the beautiful scenery seen from the helicopter, and falling down a lot because I didn't wear the footgear offered by Coastal.

Thanks for getting that feedback..how cute. I am sure once all is said and done we will remember a once in a life time experience..and hopefully forget about the cost!

Archived