Statue of Liberty

slyviag

Do the Cunard ships pass the Statue of Liberty when they leave or arrive in Brooklyn instead of Manhatten? Sailing past the view of that beautiful lady was a thrill I'll always remember.

Sylvia

Sylvia

You get a decent, if not close up view, as the ship approaches the spot to make a 180-degree turn off the southern end of Governors Island to then reverse into the Red Hook pier.

Sylvia

You get a decent, if not close up view, as the ship approaches the spot to make a 180-degree turn off the southern end of Governors Island to then reverse into the Red Hook pier.

We take photos of her every time. You would think one would be enough, but she is too lovely to pass by without a photo.

If you have the choice, try getting a starboard stateroom. That way your balcony faces the statue on leaving NY in the afternoon rather than returning in the early morning. You can certainly get a shot from the deck, but if your balcony faces that way, you do not have to wait on deck or make sure you are in a specific place at a specific time to get the shot.

Enjoy!

You will see the Statue nicely from the pier.

Nice photo of the ship and the Statue in the background could be made prior to boarding (Prior to entering the Brooklyn Passenger Ship Terminal)

from the parking lot.

When on board you see her from the decks, over Governor's Island.

When the ship sails, (in or out) she comes closer to the Statue, but not too close. Have a good camera, or even better, binoculars. It does not last very long, so be on deck, or on your balcony at that moment, if you are facing that way.

(I take only inside cabins on Transatlantic crossings since you see nothing from your balcony once you have left New York, and you sail in Southampton too early to see anything from a balcony. )

You will be at least 300 yards away so I would recommend the Staten Island ferry which goes within 50 yards and is free

I second that. It has been years since I actually took the ferry TO the Statue of Liberty. The ferry to Staten Island is free, convenient, hassle free and takes only 1 hour back and forth. If you do not get good shots during your cruise, do try and do the Staten Island ferry.

Do the Cunard ships pass the Statue of Liberty when they leave or arrive in Brooklyn instead of Manhatten? Sailing past the view of that beautiful lady was a thrill I'll always remember.

Sylvia

Just for the sake of completeness, Queen Victoria usually uses the Manhattan terminal when she comes to New York.

Archived