TA Keeping free berths?

I'm organizing a family reunion on Royal and will be booking a minimum of 25 cabins. While speaking with my travel agent I asked about the free berths. He told me he would have to speak to his boss to see if the agency would apply it. I didn't know it was optional for a TA to apply the free berth and contacted Royal to verify this. Well, they confirmed what the TA told me. My question is this, has anyone ever had a TA deny them their free berths when booking a group?

I wouldn't hire one that would not give me and my group the perks that I deserved. If book the 25 cabins you are entitled to 3 free berths of the greatest number category booked.

If he had to ask this is a deviation for them and I would RUN to another agency.

Cut that TA loose today! If they don't give you the free berths or give you a hard time over it, get rid of them! I will probably be booking something like this in a few years and I may check into getting myself licensed as a TA in order to funnel the TA profit back into the coffers.

I'm organizing a family reunion on Royal and will be booking a minimum of 25 cabins. While speaking with my travel agent I asked about the free berths. He told me he would have to speak to his boss to see if the agency would apply it. I didn't know it was optional for a TA to apply the free berth and contacted Royal to verify this. Well' date=' they confirmed what the TA told me. My question is this, has anyone ever had a TA deny them their free berths when booking a group?[/quote']

Usually a TA will use the free cabins to reduce the price for everyone.....it's a common practice.

YMMV

Usually a TA will use the free cabins to reduce the price for everyone.....it's a common practice.

YMMV

I have done several and the group leader was asked each and every time how they wanted it applied. The amount will be sent AFTER the cruise and it can be divided up.

I'm organizing a family reunion on Royal and will be booking a minimum of 25 cabins. While speaking with my travel agent I asked about the free berths. He told me he would have to speak to his boss to see if the agency would apply it. I didn't know it was optional for a TA to apply the free berth and contacted Royal to verify this. Well' date=' they confirmed what the TA told me. My question is this, has anyone ever had a TA deny them their free berths when booking a group?[/quote']

If your TA creates an affinity group (for your purpose) the rule of thumb is that the first free berth goes to the group leader and the second one stays with the agency.

If your TA books you into an existing promotional group he/she is not required to share the free berth.

That's how my TA explained that to me. I think that is just fair.

If your TA creates an affinity group (for your purpose) the rule of thumb is that the first free berth goes to the group leader and the second one stays with the agency.

If your TA books you into an existing promotional group he/she is not required to share the free berth.

sorry but you are getting the short end, all groups we have been a part of ALL the free berths went to the group. The TA is getting their commission on all those cabins, why should they keep the berth money. I wouldn't deal with someone who does that...in my booking they are cheating the customer. The more I read on these boards the more grateful I am for my wonderful agent.

sorry but you are getting the short end, all groups we have been a part of ALL the free berths went to the group. The TA is getting their commission on all those cabins, why should they keep the berth money. I wouldn't deal with someone who does that...in my booking they are cheating the customer. The more I read on these boards the more grateful I am for my wonderful agent.

Why do I get the short end? I agreed to it. Unless you deal with an agency owner your TA gets little. The average commission is 15% of the cruise fare (which usually has the non commisionable taken out). The average TA working for an agency gets between 30%-70% of that (depending on agency). The rest goes to the agency. So, my TA is not making a killing yet provides darn good service. Thus I agree to these terms.

Unless you bring in all suites the TA is not getting much at all.

Why do I get the short end? I agreed to it. Unless you deal with an agency owner your TA gets little. The average commission is 15% of the cruise fare (which usually has the non commisionable taken out). The average TA working for an agency gets between 30%-70% of that (depending on agency). The rest goes to the agency. So, my TA is not making a killing yet provides darn good service. Thus I agree to these terms.

Unless you bring in all suites the TA is not getting much at all.

and you think YOUR agent is getting the free berth. NO their agency is. The whole group benefits from lower cost for the second berth, that is how you are getting the short end.

and you think YOUR agent is getting the free berth. NO their agency is. The whole group benefits from lower cost for the second berth, that is how you are getting the short end.

As a matter of fact she gets commission from her agency from that free berth.

I still don't see why I get the short end of the stick if I agree to it. Maybe I am just a little less greedy.

I still don't see why I get the short end of the stick if I agree to it. Maybe I am just a little less greedy.

Just because you agree to it does not mean you are short changing your self. My TA gets a TON of referrals from me and all 30-50 of us that sail together on different cruises. She is is well and truly compensated with gifts directly to her and not her agency. LOL

Our TA booked us as a group and gave is a cabin credit per cabin for the first 8 cabins booked. She stated that if we get to 16 cabins we would qualify for more perks. She explained that the cruise line gave her perk points based on the number of cabins booked in a group. These points could be used in many forms such as cabin credit for all, free berths for some, on-board gifts or wine for each cabin in the group and so on.

I'm no expert but what she told us sounded reasonable. We're currently at 13 booked cabins. If we don't reach the 16 cabins does anyone know if we would be due more perks for getting past the required 8 or do you have to reach the 16?

If you agree to it and have no complaints, wonderful. But to state that it makes you "a little less greedy" than the rest of us who expect that perks for group bookings should go to those who are cruising is rather rude, IMO. The TA and/or agency are getting their normal commission on every paid fare, so they are not by any means getting "shorted" if the group booking perks go to the group.

beachchick

For all of you who do not care about the free berth....I am not a TA, but look me up...I will book your group cruise myself and I'll take the free berth. To say your TA works hard for you and deserves it is ridiculous. They take their jobs to make a commission, and they get it everytime you book your cruise. If the free berth is something our group is entitled to, I want it!

I agree with you entirely.

If you enter into a negotiated deal that both parties are happy with, then you are not getting short changed.

The problem nowadays seems to be the "want everything for nothing and resenting a profit" culture.

A group booking potentially takes a long time to coordinate, to put together, and much work is often put in attempting to secure a booking when the group organiser will end up prostituting him/herself and selling to the lowest bidder in an effort to save £5 or £10 a booking and forgetting about the work that their REGULAR travel agent has put in which has made the other agents job infinitely easier.

Don't forget that when you book a group, the cruise line also offers Group Amenity Program points to use for items on board or a ship board credit. The amount of the points given depend on the popularity of the ship and cruise. The more popular, the less points. Sometimes TA's don't tell you about these points and keep them, convert them to cash for additional commission for themselves. We do group cruises every other year. Our TA took them the first two cruises because we didn't know any better. Needless to say, we don't use that TA anymore and our new TA was well aware that we knew about the free berths and the GAP points. If you aren't happy with the response your TA is giving you, find another.

Don't forget that when you book a group, the cruise line also offers Group Amenity Program points to use for items on board or a ship board credit. The amount of the points given depend on the popularity of the ship and cruise. The more popular, the less points. Sometimes TA's don't tell you about these points and keep them, convert them to cash for additional commission for themselves. We do group cruises every other year. Our TA took them the first two cruises because we didn't know any better. Needless to say, we don't use that TA anymore and our new TA was well aware that we knew about the free berths and the GAP points. If you aren't happy with the response your TA is giving you, find another.

It sounds like you know a lot more about this than I do and might be able to answer my question from my original post below. Is there a difference between the Group Aminety Points between 8 & 13 cabins or will we need to wait until we reach 16 cabins to receive extra points?

Our TA booked us as a group and gave is a cabin credit per cabin for the first 8 cabins booked. She stated that if we get to 16 cabins we would qualify for more perks. She explained that the cruise line gave her perk points based on the number of cabins booked in a group. These points could be used in many forms such as cabin credit for all, free berths for some, on-board gifts or wine for each cabin in the group and so on.

I'm no expert but what she told us sounded reasonable. We're currently at 13 booked cabins. If we don't reach the 16 cabins does anyone know if we would be due more perks for getting past the required 8 or do you have to reach the 16?

It sounds like you know a lot more about this than I do and might be able to answer my question from my original post below. Is there a difference between the Group Aminety Points between 8 & 13 cabins or will we need to wait until we reach 16 cabins to receive extra points?

Ok the free berths and the GAP points are two different things. For the free berths you need to get to 16 double occupancy cabins to get the additional berth.

The gaps points don't differ for the amount of cabins. Whatever sailing you are on is specified with a certain amount of GAP points and that does not change . The GAP points are redeemable for a wide variety of perks.

Yikes, Id like to be your TA. If I didnt get my free berths, I woud book with RCL direct with their group dept and sure wouldnt use that TA. You really just think its fair you dont get the perks?? Not me.

I agree with you entirely.

If you enter into a negotiated deal that both parties are happy with, then you are not getting short changed.

Sure you are. You left money on the table that should have been yours. Most of us do not have money to throw away.

A group might take longer but many times a lot of the work is done by the person putting the group together and 8 cabins @ $1,500 each (even if booking an inside) is better than just one booked for the agency. It might actually go quicker for the agent since a lot of the leg work is done.

We booked with a great TA for years who gave us lots of tote bags delivered to our cabin and wonderful service. We brought her all our friends and relatives. Then we found that online one where you post your cruise and wait for the offers to come via email. (Probably suggested here.) Now we typically get $100 OBC on an inside cabin in the lower price ranges.

You leave your money on the table when negotiating. Most agencies provide excellent service. I'm not married to any of them any longer. The one who wants my business is the one who is going to get it.

Ok the free berths and the GAP points are two different things. For the free berths you need to get to 16 double occupancy cabins to get the additional berth.

The gaps points don't differ for the amount of cabins. Whatever sailing you are on is specified with a certain amount of GAP points and that does not change . The GAP points are redeemable for a wide variety of perks.

Where can I find the GAP points for my sailing and what are they based on?

Where can I find the GAP points for my sailing and what are they based on?

they are set by the cruiseline (not sure their criteria) you would have to call the cruiseline and talk to groups. My advice call and pretend you are looking to book it for a group and ask how many you would get and they will even email you the chart that shows what they are worth if you ask.

Archived