palamoh

palamoh

I have booked my wife and I on the Sept 12th Silver Shadow Vancouver to LA and then the connecting cruise to Mexico with return to LA on the 3rd Oct. I have spent most of my last 30 years as an Outdoor Writer about the Alaska outdoors, specically the Fishing Scene. I have always found that the Mid Sept in Alaska offers the best of everthing Alaska has to offer. The weather in Alaksa is often good or bad throughout the summer and Fall months, just depends, one can never predict their weather. I have Fished and Hiked all the Ports of calls on this Trip and know anyone booked on it will be in for a teat, no matter what the weather.

Alaska is truly our last Frontier, get off the ship and see it first hand. don't relagate yourself's to the usual City Tours, spend the extra money and see the Frontier, wether you book your trips through Silversea or book them on your own do it.

I look forward to meeting new friend on this cruise and discussing many adventures I have had in this truly unbelievable State.

I know we will all enjoy this Cruise

I agree that Alaska is a real frontier. It is the only place I've been where I've felt that the natural state was wilderness and the human habitation was an aberration; in other places the animals are an interesting sideshow to the "real world." In Alaska, the people are the strange intruders.

Palamoh, to me this is wonderful news! My wife and I have been on many Silversea cruises, but never to Alaska. Today, we booked the same September 12 Vancouver to L.A. Alaska cruise on the Shadow. We've wanted to see Alaska, and the "offer was too good to refuse." Also, schools are in session and the ship seems to be fairly empty. Your observation about the September weather is very heartening! I would really appreciate your advice as to the "don't miss" sights or excursions on this cruise. We are really looking forward to meeting you!

Palamoh, I will be on the Aug 25- Sept.3 Shadow trip R/T Vancouver. Do you recommend either Salmon fishing or Halibut fishing excursions during this time period? Is there a realistic chance of catching either? These excursions are offered out of Sitka and Juneau.

Cool Cruiser. I have fished the Salt Water Bays up and down the Coast and always found the waters around Sitka to be the best. Particularly near the Tongass National Forest about 15 - 25 miles South of Sitka. Its been some time since I have visited this area. The Sea Run "Kings" were always there from early June into Mid July, then come the Chums and Silvers right behind. I would think there would be a few "Kings" in these waters, but mostly Silvers. I have looked at their Fishing Programs and find the time of about 4 Hours to be a difficult time frame to Fish, consider the time to and from the Fishing Waters ect. Fishing is Fishing there is always a chance to catch that big one. But I personally will pass on their Fishing trips. By the way there is always Halibut in these waters, I have caught many of them in this area. That would probably be your best opportunity. Also I find their costs to be very Pricy.

Up to you maybe you'll be the guy w/all the Luck. The Coast areas around the Tongass National Forest are breathtaking. There are many small streams and rivers (some have Steelhead in them), it is an area where some of the Largest Shrimp in our US Territories are caught, along wi Dungeoness Crab and Abalone. If you can find a good tour of this Coastline, it is my recommendation for a day or half a day well spent. Hiking along their Beaches is agood way to find Fishing Balls from the Japanese Fishing Fleet, but the hiking is very strenuous.

Look me up on the ship and we can tell many tall tales about past adventures in Alaska Sheila and Mitch

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Palamoh - We're booked on both cruises also. We're going to spend three nights in Vancouver at the Pan Pacific hotel before boarding the ship. It's our first time to both Alaska and Mexico! We've taken a number of SS cruises, most recently the Shadow from FLL to Barbados and back last December. We loved the ship and hope that many of the crew will still be on board.

Since we've never been to Alaska, we're planning on taking maximum advantage of the opportunity to see such a wonderful state. I'd love to get your opinion on the helicopter and float plane tours. We're not into shopping. Despite our age, we're in good shape and like to have adventure. Also, since we are both photographers, we are really looking forward to the opportunity to capture the sights.

I would love to get your opinion on the "must do" excursions.

Look forward to meeting you and Sheila!

Regards, Victoria & Bob

Emtbsam. I have done many Flyouts and a few Helo rides to the Glaciers . If the weather is good, both are a wonderful experience. You will not be disappointed in either trip. They are of course very pricy, but consider you may never have this opportunity again. Make sure you have good zoom lenses for your equipment. Mother nature in Alaska is always a crap shoot. I do hope it is perfect for you.

"Mitch"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My husband and I are also booked on the Sept. 12 - 24 Alaskan cruise & would like to meet others who like to do ACTIVE types of sightseeing (weather permitting). We've never sailed on Silver Seas before, but I do port work at the Port of Los Angeles for this line (in fact, I'm supposed to work the day we get in - my group is Your Reps) & all the passengers rave about it.

Hope we can meet somehow.

Archived