Western Caribbean cruise in January: what to expect?

mikal

Me and my GF are planning an 7 day western carribean cruise off the liberty on Jan 16th, second time for us, first time for the couple coming with us.

Has anyone cruised that area that time of year? If so, what should we expect, excursion and weather wise?

Hey Mikal

I thought I'd post on your thread. I've never cruised in the winter months so from that perspective I have no ideas on how it would be. But nevertheless, I do hope you all thoroughly enjoy your cruise. Tell me the ports you're going to again?

The weather in the western caribbean, mexico etc should be great, we went in March a few years ago, and while it was chilly leaving port, in Costa Maya we spent the entire day at the beach and in the water. its actually the best time as it will be nice and warm but not sweltering like in August.

Hey Mikal

I thought I'd post on your thread. I've never cruised in the winter months so from that perspective I have no ideas on how it would be. But nevertheless, I do hope you all thoroughly enjoy your cruise. Tell me the ports you're going to again?

I'm lazy so I'll just copy and paste it from the site :)

Sat, Jan 16 Miami, Fl Sun, Jan 17 Fun Day At Sea Mon, Jan 18 Cozumel, Mexico Tue, Jan 19 Fun Day At Sea Wed, Jan 20 Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands, Thur Jan 21 Ocho Rios, Jamaica Fri, Jan 22 Fun Day At Sea Sat, Jan 23Miami, Fl

We're also planning on spending some time in Miami beforehand. Last time we didn't get the chance. Going to rent a van and drive down rather then fly too.

The weather in the western caribbean, mexico etc should be great, we went in March a few years ago, and while it was chilly leaving port, in Costa Maya we spent the entire day at the beach and in the water. its actually the best time as it will be nice and warm but not sweltering like in August.

Great! I was hoping it would be like that. Only thing I was really worried about was it being a rainy or wet season. I want to get a nice winter tan going!

Mikal - You're cracking me up with being lazy. But I totally understand. I've been to Cozumel before and LOVE IT! Great Shopping! Make sure you haggle for the price you want to pay. Most people favoring going to Paradise Beach, I can't speak on it becuz I haven't been there. I usually shop and do a city tour. In the Caymen Islands, I love the 7 Mile Beach and sight seeing and of course, More Shopping! Shopping - its a girl thing. And don't listen to what people tell you about Jamaica. Most will say, don't even bother to get off the ship but I like Jamaica! Ocho Rios is noted for Dunn's River Falls. Me, personally, I'm not climbing that thing but if its your thing, then do it. Its just too slippery and slick for me. I don't want to break or bruise anything while on vacation. But you must eat some JERK CHICKEN!! Its off the chain!! Some vendors are a lil pushy (don't act like you're easily intimidated) but a firm NO or NO THANK YOU, and Keep It Moving will do just fine.

Here's what Living To Travel Wrote to You:

mikal - Wow, the Liberty in January! :cool: I don't know where you're from, but for me in Toronto, cruising in the dead of winter is a dream! The only problem with it is having to return back to the reality of ice and snow!

There's actually a lot of things you can do in Ocho Rios, many of them in addition to visiting Dunn's River Falls, like the river rafting or tubing, ziplining, bobsledding, the Bob Marley/Rasta experience (no Falls with that one I don't think), plantation viewing, etc. You can also buy a day pass to spend the time at one of the large all-inclusive hotels, if that's more your thing. Whatever you choose, I hope you have fun! :o

Once you start heading south the sun comes out, the heat gets turned up and it's DOD's by the pool and cold beers on the beach just like any other time. We love to cruise in the winter!

Ok. Third time I've tried this. (internet keeps eating my posts)

Cozumel: Been to Paradise Beach before, so definatly going to try something new. No worries about the vendors. I LOVE to haggle.

Jamacia: As a foodie, we're definatly going to get some local food. Dunno about anything else tho. We'll see.

Caymans: Didn't get to go here last time due to Hurricane Katrina making the seas too rough for the tenders. Should be a little calmer this time.

Chris: That's what I like to hear :)

I'll reply to living to travel in her thread. thanks for the heads up

Mikal - You're in the Cincinnati area, cool! Nice to meet another Ohioan. Thomas and I are hanging out with my sister who lives in Miami for about 5 days after our cruise this year. I can't wait to see the sights and hang out down there. I knew we wouldn't want to end our vacation by coming right back home, thats why we decided to stay for a few more days. Fun before heading "Back to Life, Back to Reality"!!

Mikal - You're in the Cincinnati area, cool! Nice to meet another Ohioan. Thomas and I are hanging out with my sister who lives in Miami for about 5 days after our cruise this year. I can't wait to see the sights and hang out down there. I knew we wouldn't want to end our vacation by coming right back home, thats why we decided to stay for a few more days. Fun before heading "Back to Life, Back to Reality"!!

Technically I live in Northern Ky, but no one knows what that means so I say Cincinnati ;)

When do you guys go? You should recommend some stuff to do on a Thursday and Friday!

Our Cruise leaves on September 19th and we return on September 26th. We're doing the Eastern Itinerary. We go to Half Moon Cay, San Juan, St.Thomas and Grand Turk. Then on our return on the 26th, we stay in Miami until Wednesday, September 30th and fly home. Im not sure what my sister will have planned for us to do in Miami while we're there. I do know that eating at this one place is definately on the list of "Something to Do". Its called the Grand Lux Cafe. Its owned by the Cheesecake Factory. And the food is Yumm Yumm.

Been to Western Caribbean about 5 or 6 times in January. I remember cool and windy weather just once. All the rest were just great. Going again this January on The Liberty.

Dawnrae

Really? On the 16th? That's when we're going!

Our Cruise leaves on September 19th and we return on September 26th. We're doing the Eastern Itinerary. We go to Half Moon Cay, San Juan, St.Thomas and Grand Turk. Then on our return on the 26th, we stay in Miami until Wednesday, September 30th and fly home. Im not sure what my sister will have planned for us to do in Miami while we're there. I do know that eating at this one place is definately on the list of "Something to Do". Its called the Grand Lux Cafe. Its owned by the Cheesecake Factory. And the food is Yumm Yumm.

any place owned by the cheesecake factory is usually good ;) Give me a review when you try it if you don't care to!

and i'll be sure to pack a sweatshirt... just in case we get some chilly weather.

We cruised on the Liberty this past January. In fact the last week in January. The weather was great ~ most days! However, we sailed right by Ocho Rios as the water was too choppy to dock. I guess they had a pretty wet and windy night just prior to our arrival so, we had an extra sea day. That day it was very windy and at times a bit cooler but, the sun was out! With that said, we had a great time! No complaints from me!

Mikal,

You may want to read a few Liberty or other ship reviews from cruisers who did a January Western Cruise to get a sense of weather changes. We'll be on the Dream in January and I'm going to look at several different ship reviews to see what the overall consensus on weather has been. Sweaters/sweatshirts and shorts are my favorite wear:D

For food--

In Grand Cayman, you can't miss with Chicken Chicken in 7 Mile Beach next to the cinema. Also try Tony's Jerk Food, a hole-in-the wall joint next to the Texaco on the road to 7MB. And for great views and good seafood, there's Rickham's Pub rigth on the water on Church Street.

In Ocho--OchoRios Jerk Center on DaCosta near Fern Gully is a great jerk stop. For other sytles of Jamaican cooking try Tradewinds. It's downtown next to the craft market.

I know you're beaching it in Caz, but on the way back, go to Los Otates over on Avenida 15, about 3 blocks in. Open air taqueria frequented mainly by locals.

Over all have a great time.

We usually only cruise in December and January because it gives us a welcome relief from the cold NY Winters! Anyway just did a western itinerary on the Valor the first week of January and we had perfect weather. Sunny and hot every day. It was fabulous. However, I have cruised in December and it was cool and rainy in Belize and cool and overcast in Cozumel. I think its a crap shoot! Good luck and here's hoping you have clear skies and smooth sailing!!!

Me and my GF are planning an 7 day western carribean cruise off the liberty on Jan 16th, second time for us, first time for the couple coming with us.

Has anyone cruised that area that time of year? If so, what should we expect, excursion and weather wise?

Hi Mikal- we are also sailing on the Liberty Jan16th sailing! This will be our ~15th western caribbean itinerary and we always cruise in January. Knock on wood we have ALWAYS had great weather except for 1 day in Belize when it hailed while in dive boat! Great time to cruise as it's never too hot in port on on deck!

Jean in MO

Have cruised the western route in January many times. Really can't remember any cool weather on any of the trips but did run into some intermittent showers a few times.

Panchos Backyard in Cozumel is an absolute must for us everytime we are there. Best margarittas in the Caribbean in our opinion. :cool: Food is good too. :D Although Panchos now has a location in the shopping areas at the piers we always go to the original one located inside Los Cinco Soles along the main shopping street in town.

Los Cinco Soles is a variety souvenir/jewelry/etc. store. I buy most of my silver jewerly there and also buy my vanilla there because I trust the quality of the items at that store.

Grand Cayman is a great place to purchase liquor at Black Dick's Liquor Store. Really good prices for Western Caribbean. Also good place to purchase rum cakes. While Tortuga Rum Cakes are advertised on ship and about everywhere, the best rum cakes we've found anywhere in the Caribbean (and we've tried just about all of them now) is Blackbeard's Rum Cakes.

Blackbeard's should have a kiosk in the shopping center across from the tender pier.

If anyone is going to Belize, don't miss a chance to visit the Wet Lizard in the shopping village for some cold Belikin beers and an order of conch fritters. The combination is what DH & I call, ``Good Eats.'';)

Go Bucks!!!

Dianne

Hi Mikal- we are also sailing on the Liberty Jan16th sailing! This will be our ~15th western caribbean itinerary and we always cruise in January. Knock on wood we have ALWAYS had great weather except for 1 day in Belize when it hailed while in dive boat! Great time to cruise as it's never too hot in port on on deck!

Jean in MO

Nice! We might see you there then!

If anyone is going to Belize, don't miss a chance to visit the Wet Lizard in the shopping village for some cold Belikin beers and an order of conch fritters. The combination is what DH & I call, ``Good Eats.'';)

Dianne

Agreeance on Wet Lizard. The only [;ace reasonably close to the pier with good "native" food is JamBel Jerk Chicken, out of the tourist village and across the swing bridge. But if you're pressed for time, it's not a good bet.

Dianne

Agreeance on Wet Lizard. The only place reasonably close to the pier with good "native" food is JamBel Jerk Chicken, out of the tourist village and across the swing bridge. But if you're pressed for time, it's not a good bet.

Archived