Yet another Booze Question

Denali1005

Ok so I am a first time cruiser....on hour 75 of searching these boards. I just read one of the "Booze Smuggling" threads and it sparked a question...Someone said that on Carnival you are allowed one bottle of wine per person to be packed in your luggage, if that's true then I have a question.....Can't I purchase a "screw top" bottle of wine, fill it with Vodka and avoid the suspicion all together?

Has anyone refilled a wine bottle?

Thanks

Ok so I am a first time cruiser....on hour 75 of searching these boards. I just read one of the "Booze Smuggling" threads and it sparked a question...Someone said that on Carnival you are allowed one bottle of wine per person to be packed in your luggage, if that's true then I have a question.....Can't I purchase a "screw top" bottle of wine, fill it with Vodka and avoid the suspicion all together?

Thanks

You can try and it may get through, but I've seen people do the same with water bottles and security looks closely at them to see if they really are still sealed and will confiscate if there is any question. We had a friend who did the wine bottle thing with crown royal, recorked and dipped the top in melted wax to make it look like it was never opened.

Thanks

Why go thru all that trouble......when you can just stick it in your checked luggage........makes your carry on luggage much lighter:D

Thanks to all. I'm not usually one to "break the rules" but quite honestly I think our bar bill might kill us in the end. We are used to AI resorts and I'm not sure I can convince my hubby to keep it toned down. I think I will try the RumRunner route.

What about mixers? What can I carry on board and how much can I take without arousing suspicion?

I highly recommend the rumrunners! DP and I are what you would call "social drinkers" at home but can really drink on board; so we purchased 1 liter of Rum and 1 liter of Tequila filled two large rumrunners and then since DP likes margaritas, we filled one with Mixer. I'm hoping next year she will let me bring the Magic Bullet so I can make frozen ones!!!! Oh yeah, I also had Crown Royal in one of the smaller ones just in case I wanted something different. I put them in ziploc bags and wrapped them in clothes. We had no problems and our bar bill was under $50.00 for a 8 day sailing.

Smooth Sailing

AnitaMarie :cool:

If by mixers you mean soda, juice or water, you can probably bring all you need. We have always just put all drinks (water, soda, liquor) in one suitcase in our checked bags, packed them appropriately, and have not had any problems.

Last cruise, we had two bottles delivered to the room from the Bon Voyage folks. It was ready in the room, along with full ice buckets. $80.00 so I thought that was reasonable.

In the carry on, we had 8 bottles of tonic and a 12 pack of ginger ale. That was way more than we needed. And BTW, we still had $1200 on the S&S bill. Probably a third for pics, a third for shore trips, and two thirds for booze.

Thanks to all. I'm not usually one to "break the rules" but quite honestly I think our bar bill might kill us in the end. We are used to AI resorts and I'm not sure I can convince my hubby to keep it toned down. I think I will try the RumRunner route.

What about mixers? What can I carry on board and how much can I take without arousing suspicion?

Olives all you need for the Vodka!!

Last cruise, we had two bottles delivered to the room from the Bon Voyage folks. It was ready in the room, along with full ice buckets. $80.00 so I thought that was reasonable.

In the carry on, we had 8 bottles of tonic and a 12 pack of ginger ale. That was way more than we needed. And BTW, we still had $1200 on the S&S bill. Probably a third for pics, a third for shore trips, and two thirds for booze.

which bon voyage company did you use and how early before you cruised did you place the order?

that's 4 thirds

Well, we are taking this trip with a group that travels every Jan. This is probably their 25th cruise, maybe more. After speaking with the seasoned vets, they said the same thing about just packing the whole bottle right in the suitcase. Apparently, the last time they did a Carnival Cruise they brought in 9 bottles with no issues....wish me luck.

Go with the larger size rum runners just to be save with the booze; safer on potential breakage and detection.. Port security does look for opened bottles and will stop them then and there. But if you're bringing wine on board, screw tops (unopened) is a good idea. Saves having to pack a corkscrew and trying to recork an open bottle. The Kim Crawford New Zealand Wines and the California Big House wines out of Bonnie Doon are very drinkable, low price point, screwtops, for example.

I highly recommend the rumrunners! DP and I are what you would call "social drinkers" at home but can really drink on board; so we purchased 1 liter of Rum and 1 liter of Tequila filled two large rumrunners and then since DP likes margaritas, we filled one with Mixer. I'm hoping next year she will let me bring the Magic Bullet so I can make frozen ones!!!! Oh yeah, I also had Crown Royal in one of the smaller ones just in case I wanted something different. I put them in ziploc bags and wrapped them in clothes. We had no problems and our bar bill was under $50.00 for a 8 day sailing.

Smooth Sailing

AnitaMarie :cool:

I'll be packing my Rocket Blender next week when we head to the Conquest. Already got my Strawberry Daiquiri mix, just need the rum now. Also bought my 3 Liter box of White Zinfandel. Just debating now on buying a jar of maraschino cherries to dress up my Daiquiri's! Got my Rum Runners in the mail yesterday.

Apparently, not a math major. :p

1/3 - Pics

1/3 - Shore Trips

2/3 - Booze

= Hmmmmm.........

LOL!

Thanks

The highlighted part of your post is incorrect. You may carry on one bottle of wine pp over 21. No need to pack it in luggage.

The booze smuggling part I will withhold comment.

The highlighted part of your post is incorrect. You may carry on one bottle of wine pp over 21. No need to pack it in luggage.

The booze smuggling part I will withhold comment.

We just returned from a short three night weekend cruise aboard the Carnival Paradise and carried on two bottles of wine in our backpacks. No problems at all. There was a couple in front of us who had one bottle of rum in their carry-on, and it was taken away! So wine and champagne are okay to carry-on, hard liquor is a no-no. It actually says so in your cruise ticket packet.

That said, we also took two small water bottles one filled with rum and one with vodka. We also packed 2 cans of pepsi and two cans of bloody mary mix in checked baggage - we figured it was a small amount that if taken away, we would be okay. As usual, it arrived without an issue.

Good luck!

Archived