Spa issues... dont be fooled by the "free spa services raffle"

trideltjenn

I don’t know if it’s just me, or the ship we were on but it seems that the spa is getting to be a bit... rude??

Issue #1: There was a "free spa services" raffle on the first day when we boarded the ship. We didn’t really expect to win or anything but decided oh what the heck it’s going to start in 10mins why don’t we just go. So we went and we waiting for more people to show, and then everyone who was present filled out a new entry card and they threw out everyone else’s that wasn’t present at the drawing. Ok I guess that was fair, well my mom won the "Ionotherpy" (how ever you spell that) treatment, she was all excited because that’s what she wanted. Well the coupon was for "50% off the treatment" not really a bit deal but still a bit of false advertising. Other people came up to us asking us what ours said because theirs said the same thing, and they were more annoyed then us!!!

Issue #2: We booked a bunch of services the first day (there were 3 of us) and got appointment cards to remind us as well which we kept. Well the first day we had appointments we went in and the girl at the desk told my moms cousin "your appointment was yesterday you didn’t cancel it" well the reminder card clearly stated the Bermuda day at 4:15, and I had my card as well saying Bermuda 4:30 and so they had to "fit her in" with someone who doesn’t normally do that treatment. And the girl argued with us for quite a while over it.

*And might I add she was pretty rude all week long!!!*

Issue #3: Products, the three of us already have their products they sell on the ship, and just didn’t have the room/want/desire to buy the products at that moment. We wanted to buy them and have them shipped once we got home to alleviate some costs that could be avoided at the time so we didn’t end up with an even bigger bill. This did not make the therapists very happy, they were very pushy and seemed quite annoyed when we told them we wanted to buy online, and we even got their codes to put in when we got home!! This set me back a bit because out of all of our cruises they have never been like this before.

Sorry this was a bit long but just wanted to let others know, and see if anyone else has had issues like this lately or if it was just us...

Thank you for the heads up. I would have been furious at each of your issues. Spa treatments are very costly and to have to deal with rude employees would truly make me unhappy. Spa experiences are supposed to be relaxing and calming.

I know that Princess outsources these services, but I hope you take exactly what you said in your post and sent Princess a letter.

Being treated like what you described, I would have immediately cancelled any other appointments that I had made for the rest of the cruise immediately, and also reported this behaviour to their supervisor.

I agree Jennifer (and Toto) and am so sorry you had this experience

Spa treatments are meant to be that TREATments!

I don't send anymore of my money in the Steiner spas. I've booked pre-cruise only to show up on the ship twice and be advised they had to change my appointment. Also showed up and had someone that didn't usually do the treatment and it was evident. I just think they have really over priced their services and the attendants are being pressured to sell, sell, sell.

YEA YEA YEA!!!!! Thanks for reminding me!!!!

It happened to me. I answered the phone and was told I won!!! I have never won anything before so you can imagine my excitment. I asked if I could send my wife in my stead, and they said it was good for anyone in my cabin. So off she went the next day for her "free" facial massage.

$100 later she returned, all we could do was laugh!!! And we learned!!

BUT IT DIDN'T RUIN OUR FUN!! Just another lesson learned! OH yes... 1 hour later she had here perfectly relaxed and treated face planted in the ocean (salt water) snorkling and looking at the fish. So much for the treatment! LOL

As many complaints as there have been the last few years I can't believe the spa company is still in business. It's bad enough they charge way more than you would pay at home but you get bad attitude and the hard sell along with it.

I do have to say I didnt let it ruin our vacation, that for sure, but I did want to warn others about these things just as a heads up. I think that I will write a letter to Princess sometime this week and if anything comes of it I will let everyone know!!

I know the spa is its own thing but still they could monitor whats going on up there to make sure its running at the princess "standard".

They were pushier on the product selling thing on our Crown cruise than on the Golden. The Golden people tried to move DW's appointments, but we just didn't allow it. She also "won" stuff, but after quizzing them a bit, just refused. The spa is an important part of DW's cruise experience, even if it is overpriced, so we just overlook it and she enjoys.

I don't understand why people put up with the "spa rip-off." Why don't they go to a spa before or after they cruise? Am I missing something?
We go out to eat and have drinks at home, too. She just likes it!

I'm in no way saying I was "ripped off" by the spa, I just wanted people to have a heads up about the deceptive practices that some times occur. I know how much the spa services are, I know they are a little more then they would be at home, but I'm on vacation and thats how I choose to spend some of my time/money.

That is exactly what happened to my husband and me. I was so mad! We each won (I use that very loosly). We get the coupon and it is for half off. So, we go to the desk and we are told, "you can only use it when the ship is in port, oh yea, and you cannot cancel the appointment". I asked why you can't cancel an appointment w/i 24 hours (like normal policy) and she said we would be taking up the time for full paying customers and their must be a penatly for those who "win" if they cancel. What a total scam and rip off. They lure you in for a free spa raffle, but it isn't free. I found them to be fairly rude as well. I told them they could keep their "free" tickets. You know, we spend our precious cruise time going to the raffle and then find out that none of them are free. As a matter of fact, they had better deals during the week for treatments than what the "free" coupon that we "won" would have offered. I will not ever use the spa on Princess. BTW, I love Princess and cruise only with them, but their spa personnel and services need a lot of work.

I have had a massage before on Princess cruise ships and they always try to sell you some kind of product afterward. They are way overpriced for their services and are pushy and rude. I will never use them again. I get an hour massage at home for 49.00 and would not pay any more. I always get my massage and pedicure before I come on board. If they were even slightly pleasant with passengers, it might be worth it, but WHAT A RIP-OFF TO GO TO A STEINER SPA on Princess.

Get your services done at home before your cruise.

Never AGAIN!!

Corinne

I found the spa staff so stuck-up and rude it was terrible (in general, there were a couple that seemed friendly enough). The head fitness guy on our ship was downright aweful. At the health seminars he made cruel comments about overweight people. Ummm, hello? Aren't people there to learn how NOT to be overweight? Then they give you a really hard-sell on the products..and I mean hard sell.

I loved our cruise..but will never use one of the spas again. I have a fabulous spa at home that I'll do all the pampering at and spend a fraction of the amount. I'll save my $$$ for excursions and shopping on the cruises.

I agree with all of you.

Getting a massage on a cruise used to be one of the things I love about cruising. Note that I said USED TO BE. As the treatments have climbed in price the "therapists" have declined in ability. The last two years these have been the worst massages I have ever had and they were the most expensive.

I guess getting a massage on a ship will have to go the way of a lot of things we "used to do" and I'll spend my money elsewhere.

I don't understand why people put up with the "spa rip-off." Why don't they go to a spa before or after they cruise? Am I missing something?

Because they're really busy. Because they travel for work, because they're always working and can't relax or enjoy it while at home. Because it's a special treat for when traveling.

Those would be my reasons, anyway. I am finding, however, that cruise ship spa prices are no longer "twice as much" and they're often cheaper than many mid-to-high end land-based spas I've seen in most cities in the last few years. Depends on where you live and what you qualify as a "spa", I guess. For me, I want the whole herbal-tea-drinking-terry-cloth-robe-wearing-strange-ambient-music-listening-experience *shrug*.

For me Spa treatments are a treat from me to me. I work damn hard all year, most weekends included & dont get the opportunity to spoil myself by visits to a Spa in my local area unless its a rare birthday treat from DH for exmaple . yes I know I am paying top dollar on ship & sometimes they do a hard sell & sometimes they can be rahter terse. I have even bought the occasional product but a good massage or facial is part of my cruise experinece & sometimes the girsl are fantastic & really freindly & I feel so-o- much better afterwards. I always try to negotiate a discount, (with mixed success ;) ), always go on port days & keep an eye on the offers throughout the cruise.

BTW - I have never 'won' any of the treatments - probably just as well :rolleyes:

so I shall continue to use them but hopefully with my eyes open. thanks for the heads-up

jo

I don't send anymore of my money in the Steiner spas. I've booked pre-cruise only to show up on the ship twice and be advised they had to change my appointment. Also showed up and had someone that didn't usually do the treatment and it was evident. I just think they have really over priced their services and the attendants are being pressured to sell, sell, sell.

The same thing happened to me, only it was on Carnival. Do they also use Steiner?

Oh that doesn't sound good. Getting a spa treatment on board has always been one of the treats I allow myself on a ship. Is this a new contracted company? The last time I sailed was in April 2005, and I do not remember them being pushy or rude at all. Oh well...I guess it will equate to some money not spent! (which will make my DH happy)

We experienced a "free" facial offer on our last cruise. The products were provided by the spa employee and we gave ourselves our own facial, with an explanation of how the products work on the various layers of skin. Clearly this offer was only to sell the products. Lesson learned - nothing is free. We thanked the spa employee for her time while we explained we weren't interested in purchasing any products.

I've had treatments on prior cruises, but the push for product purchase or scheduling future treatments at the end of my treatment sometimes is a downer. Just having to deal with the post-treatment sales pitch sometimes puts those stress knots right back into the shoulders.

The spa called our room and said we won! Yeah, until we heard the price, than my DH handed me the phone and said if you want to you can have a message. The price was too high I told them and they continued to lower it, THREE TIMES until the price was reasonable. We cruised with 30 of our friends and it was sooo funny that several told me they won. The price for the same thing, a message was different for each of us that went. One paid twice the amount I did and and other friend paid 50% more, those were the prices I was quoted first and second so-- guess what? The spa did bargain with me for a lower price.:p That was on the Emerald Princess in Dec 08. They did get my info to call my room on the ship from the free raffle.

Archived