Spa issues... dont be fooled by the "free spa services raffle"

trideltjenn

On our cruise when they did the raffle they threw away alllll of the entries that were first in the bucket, so if you signed up and didnt show up, yours was in the trash! We all had to fill out all new cards again and they did the drawing from the people that were there. So I guess it varies by ship on what they decide to do, or they just decided to call people anyways from the other entries that were "thrown out" for them not being "present to win" and offer them things as well. Either way 50% off is not "free" as they advertised it.

The ONLY time we have used the spa on a Princess cruise was about 5 years ago. We won the Not-so-Newlywed game and (along with a tote bag full of Princess logo items) we received a free spa treatment. We really didn't have to pay any part of it!

I stay clear of them otherwise!!

I guess we're the oddball here. My wife always gets her pedicure before we leave but since it's a vacation she still enjoys the various treatments / massages onboard.

We obviously know they are overpriced and will try to sell products but it's never been a deterrent with her. She enjoys her treatments here and the ones on the ship.

I don't drink all day long for seven days at home either ;).

The spa called our room and said we won! Yeah, until we heard the price, than my DH handed me the phone and said if you want to you can have a message. The price was too high I told them and they continued to lower it, THREE TIMES until the price was reasonable. We cruised with 30 of our friends and it was sooo funny that several told me they won. The price for the same thing, a message was different for each of us that went. One paid twice the amount I did and and other friend paid 50% more, those were the prices I was quoted first and second so-- guess what? The spa did bargain with me for a lower price.:p That was on the Emerald Princess in Dec 08. They did get my info to call my room on the ship from the free raffle.

LOL, I got the same call telling me I won the raffle and got the same negotiations when I refused to make an appointment that I had to pay for. I thanked them and hung up. They even called back the next day and gave me the same congratulatory speech again.

However, I did win a FREE blowout on the IP last year at a Bad Hair Day seminar and believe it or not it was completely free. Shampoo, condition, blow dry and straightening. She did an excellent job and never once tried to sell me any products.

i always kick myself for missing the raffle, now i'm glad i did! i can't believe they can get away with the "free" not being "free"...at least make the prize a smaller treatment but still keep it free-thanks for reporting this...i've been staying away since the prices have gotten so high in the past few years

I guess we're the oddball here. My wife always gets her pedicure before we leave but since it's a vacation she still enjoys the various treatments / massages onboard.

We obviously know they are overpriced and will try to sell products but it's never been a deterrent with her. She enjoys her treatments here and the ones on the ship.

I don't drink all day long for seven days at home either ;).

DH and I think pretty much the same way!:) We try to budget for the extras....We are on vacation and we spluge a little...We don't do the expensive exercursions.....and we don't gamble much....I guess everyone has their thing....;)

One advantage to being older is saying what you think. When the spa staff try the hard sell after my treatment, I just tell them I will never use the products at home (too busy, too lazy, etc) and that is what makes the treatment on board so special. "If, however, I change my mind, I will be sure to see you before I disembark..... " The tip is decided on how gracious the spa employee reacts....

Kathie

I don’t know if it’s just me, or the ship we were on but it seems that the spa is getting to be a bit... rude??

trideltjenn,

I don't think it was just you, nor is it just the spa. I have not cruised a lot, nor am I a cheerleader for any line, I have 1 cruise on Carnival, 1 on RCCI, 1 on NCL, 1 on Celebrity, 2 on HAL and 1 on Princess. Of my 7 cruises, I found the most mis-leading desceptive practices on Princess. Just as you say you won FREE spa treatment only to have it be 50% off. The photo shop coupon of "buy 3 get one free" is desceptive because it wasn't all photos, only formal studio photos. The coupon for gold or silver by the inch (buy one get second half off), had to be over $50 (I think) we ended up not using it. It seemed that every coupon we received had a "gotcha" to it.

Maybe all cruiselines are that way now, but in the past I haven't found that on the other lines.

That being said, I have scheduled another Princess cruise for Aug '10, I will be prepared this time and know that none of the specials, gifts, etc. are what they are purported to be. Guess the old saying of "there is no such thing as a free lunch" applies to cruising too!

I usually like to have a manicure on board as the price is fairly reasonable and if I have it prior to boarding I almost always mess it up. Was always satisfied until our last cruise on the Tahitian Princess in October. The manicure was amatuerish to say the least, I could have done better and through it all the (very sweet) young lady on her first contract kept trying to sell me cellulite products ( Yes I do have cellulite, don't tell me anything I don't already know but I don't want to be reminded on vacation) Whe she saw that didn't go over well she told me that they work for tips and commission on sales only Not sure I totally believed it and it didn't work either. The other passengers I spoke to had some really bad experiences with the spa on this trip and needless to say it filled alot of my comments at the end of the cruise. It was also the only time I had someone trying to flog me products

Terry

Archived