Seattle Car Rental Question

sbinsc

We are flying into Seattle the Friday (July 31st) prior to our Aug 1 departure on the Golden Princess. I want to rent a car at the airport, and drop off at (or near) pier 91. I am looking for the most economical way to do this. Are there any other options than Budget, and a drop off fee to rent at the airport and drop off at pier 91?

TIA

Scott in SC

Rental rates at Seatac are very high due in part to an extremely high tax rate. How many people in your party? If just two, and you're staying downtown, you might be better off taking the Airporter Bus for $11 each to your hotel and picking up the car downtown.

I don't think the drop off is actually AT Pier 91 in any event...I think you have to take it to the Budget location on 7th Avenue and then take their shuttle over to the pier but I could be wrong (I don't think they have space to park the returned cars there).

Thanks for the replies, since we are flying in a day early, we want to rent a car so we can drive around and sightsee.

Tobyt, the charge is more than doubled for renting at airport, and dropping off at 7th ave location.

Does anyone know of cheapest way to get from airport (if I rent from and drop off at airport) to pier 91. Is there a city bus, or other transport available. (I suspect taxi would be the highest option)

We wanted to do the same thing a few weeks ago. Budget was the only option we found and the price was outrageous. We ended up hiring a towncar to pick us up at the airport, take us on a 2 hr tour of Seattle, and drop us off at our hotel near the pier. Towncar was $90.00 and taxi to the pier the next morning was $6.00. Wasn't quite the same as having a car for the day but my daughter got a kick out of having the driver waiting at the airport with the little sign.

IMO, it would really make more sense to go downtown (taking the airporter bus I mentioned or Shuttle Express or even the city bus if you don't have much luggage) and rent the car downtown, rather than driving out to the airport unnecessarily and incurring the expense of getting from the airport to Pier 91 (which will probably be more expensive than going downtown).

You could take the Airporter to the Westin then one of you could walk the 2-3 blocks to Budget, pick up the car, and circle back to pick up the other person and your luggage.

I rented a car from Avis (Toyota Camry for $65) at the airport and turned it in after 24 hours at the Avis location near Pike Place Market. They had other drop off points too. It was great to have, but remember you may be paying for parking.

Archived