What is AA "Instant Upgrade" price?

spongerob

This has been bugging me for a while, so to settle my mind I'd like to take this to the experts. What is AA's Instant Upgrade fare? They are often insanely expensive, and the description on their web site doesn't tell me very much.

This has been bugging me for a while, so to settle my mind I'd like to take this to the experts. What is AA's Instant Upgrade fare? They are often insanely expensive, and the description on their web site doesn't tell me very much.

I think what you are referring to are Y-UP/K-UP/Q-UP, etc. fares. What you are really buying is a discounted first class fare (that's why they are so expensive). But because the fare class is a coach class, companies allow it when the company policy is coach only. So buy a high priced coach ticket, sit in first class. Only good for domestic flights. And sometimes the "instant upgrade" fares are only a few dollars more than the cheapest available IF you are booking late and the plane is mostly sold out.

greatam's summary is a decent. Personally I think the Instant Upgrade terminology is slightly confusing as to all intents and purposes they are confirmed first class seats; you get assigned a seat in first, you earn frequent flyer miles for that cabin etc. etc.

I use them for pretty much all my travels on AA and love them. A few years ago I got a BOS-SEA-BOS Y-UP fare for less than $500 return!

And sometimes the "instant upgrade" fares are only a few dollars more than the cheapest available IF you are booking late and the plane is mostly sold out.

Reading this, allow me to put words in Greatam's keyboard to clarify for those thinking they can get a "cheap" upgrade.....

What I believe she means is that if you are purchasing near to your flight date, you may well find that the Y-Up et al fares are only a bit more expensive than the lowest fares available AT THAT TIME. Not that they are only a bit more than the lowest fares in the market. Just when those cheaper buckets are already sold out.

Archived