night car return and driving time from Haleakala

karen327

We would like to rent a car in Maui to hike, see the sunset and star gaze from the summit of Haleakala. Can anyone give me an estimate of how long it will take to drive back down from the summit in the dark safely and get the car back to the airport? Also, how late the free shuttles back to the port that the Pride of America goes to run, or how late the cars can be returned and the estimated cost of a taxi? We would like to avoid the hassle of trying to park by the ship late and the possible cost involved, just to return the car the next morning. Feel that it would be best to take ship transportation to Lahaini the next day, as I have heard that parking there is a nightmare. Any information would be appreciated.

We would like to rent a car in Maui to hike, see the sunset and star gaze from the summit of Haleakala. Can anyone give me an estimate of how long it will take to drive back down from the summit in the dark safely and get the car back to the airport? Also, how late the free shuttles back to the port that the Pride of America goes to run, or how late the cars can be returned and the estimated cost of a taxi? We would like to avoid the hassle of trying to park by the ship late and the possible cost involved, just to return the car the next morning. Feel that it would be best to take ship transportation to Lahaini the next day, as I have heard that parking there is a nightmare. Any information would be appreciated.

I can only give you some general info. The people who live in Hawaii probably could be more accurate. Driving down Haleakala at night would not be one of my favorite things, and I love to drive. There are so many switchbacks and all. I would guess the road itself won't be crowded, and the road is a good one, so just go down in 1st gear and take your time. I would leave about at least an hour, but that is just a guess.

As for the car returns, i would call the agency and see what their proceedure is. We got back late at one port and all we had to do was leave the key in a car return box, but I simply cannot say if that is common for all ports or all agencies. Call and get the info first hand.

We did the sunset at Haleakala last month & the ride down wasn't bad (especially when compared to Road to Hana) as you don't have locals driving down in a hurry - almost everyone coming down are non-natives. Allow about 1 hour for a leisure ride coming all the way down from the summit to the airport/pier - once you are below 3,500 or 3,000 feet (thus below the clouds/fog cover at night) you will "re-engage" civilizations with homes & houses along the sides - and then, follow signs to the main hwy to get back toward town.

From the summit down, as car rental company's tourbook recommend, use the lowest gear (1st. gear) to make use of engine braking and regular braking on those S turns. The road is well maintained and pavement markings are clearly defined, and, very little chance of any oncoming traffic in the evening hours going up to the summit (so, headlight glares are not a problem) - and observe posted speed limit and warning signs are curves & slow it down. There are many safe spots to pull over if you feel intimidated by "fast" drivers coming up behind up & almost riding on your bumper to push you to drive faster. I just keep my speed in control and wait for getting to a safe straight section of the road to pull to the right & let them pass - and, I wish them well on their rush to speed down - in case they didn't check, there's no cellular phone services and if they miss a turn by driving too fast for the condition & end up in the ditch or down the valley/trees below - good luck on getting help fast or being found by a passing motorist.

Depending on your choice of car rental agency, it's best to get their local office # and call to find out if they have a last shuttle to the pier (I believe the airport location is open thru 11 pm) and it's a 10 minute ride on the airport shortcut to the pier by the shuttle driver - cab ride is probably $15 to $20. If you get back by 8:30 or 9 pm, the small parking lot is definitely going to the full - you can park outside the gated security area in the industrial pier, along the side of the main road - check the posted signs (tipped by the security folks) - cars can park overnight BUT must be moved by 8 am or will be ticketed & TOWEDl

We did that by parking alongside the road (see photo) in the evening, managed to eat in the buffet & catch the evening show. Next morning, we ate a full breakfast at 6:45 a.m. and were out by 7:30 a.m. with our rental mini-van to explore other sights, so it worked out nicely for us.

Hope this is helpful in making your plans, Aloha ....

DSC00288.jpg.17ca5166adc573cfbbcfb49620700460.jpg

Archived