Question about Excursion on NCL Star

GSLMOM

We booked the Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Explorer and wanted to know about how you get back to (and on) the ship. The Star leaves Juneau at 1:30 and the excursion starts at 1:15. Called NCL and they said our boat will meet up with the Star. Has anyone done this????

Thanks so much for the response. I guess since you've done it three times, you would recommend it. But from looking at your pictures, the Sun seemed to be as close as you were, so is there an advantage to the smaller boat? There are four of us and as you know, it is expensive.

But from looking at your pictures, the Sun seemed to be as close as you were, so is there an advantage to the smaller boat? There are four of us and as you know, it is expensive.

It's "close" because we were reboarding. That was the CLOSEST the Sun got to the glacier, take a look at the glacier photos from the boat tour. BIG difference, people on the cruiseship don't get those wildlife views either, IF they even happen to see any- which from 10+++ decks up, you miss plenty.

There is a significant advantage to the boat tour, only about 25% of the cruiseships sailing Tracy Arm get within view of the Sawyer glaciers. IF glaciers want to be seen, and close up, this tour is "necessary". It is of no comparsim to cruiseship.

Thanks so much brunolvr! I had read some of that thread the other day and didn't remember where...still trying to find my way around the boards. Anyway, after I booked the excursion I wasn't sure it was the same one talked about on this thread and I am so happy it is!!!:D

We booked the Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Explorer and wanted to know about how you get back to (and on) the ship. The Star leaves Juneau at 1:30 and the excursion starts at 1:15. Called NCL and they said our boat will meet up with the Star. Has anyone done this????

We took this tour back on 5/26/09 and we were unable to go all the way up Tracy Arm Fjord due to there being too much ice at that time. So, our boat turned around and headed to Endicott Arms and we passed the Star along the way and they followed us up to the Dawes Glacier. The Star had to stop further away and we were able to get much closer to the Glacier. In fact, we were able to hear the thunder and watch the Glacier calving and once we returned to the Star the other passengers were saying they heard the thunder but was unable to actually see it calving as we did. It was well worth it we thought. I would do it again! Hope you get the same experience on your trip! :)

Archived