Anytime Dining

kamnp

We di it on the CCL Liberty and will again in december. It is awesome. You can go to dinner when you want, we went around 7 just after sunset. If after a couple nights you get a waiter that you really click with, you can ask for him/her the rest of the vacation.

We just got off the Fantasy yesterday and had the Anytime Dining. We were really pleased with it. We were called by our names and the waiters were very good. We never had to wait for a table--usually went around 7pm each evening. We even requested the same waiter several nights because we liked him so well. They were only testing it out in one half of one of the dining rooms. You do miss out on things that the waiters do as a group unless you are dining when that is going on. We will definitely do this again on our next cruise!

We requested anytime dining during our cruise on the Miracle in May. It worked out very well and I would do it again without a doubt. We traveled with two other couples and ate together 6 of the 8 nights, having the same waiter most of that time. We never had more than a short wait and that was only an evening or two. The second floor Bacchus is set for anytime dining and I feel they did a great job, especially since the process had just begun prior to our sailing.

I just got off the Miracle and did the anytime dining. I love the concept of it. We went right in twice, waited about 5-15 minutes all other times except one where we waited a half an hour. I think the negative I found was that it seemed like the dinner was very quick and not much like dining with a few of the waiters. Others were very good. I would ONLY do anytime dining now......it gives you so much freedom!

Although I can handle set dining times,

I have to say that anytime dining beats set times with a stick!

We've done anytime dining twice now on a UK cruise line,last year

-and it worked bloody marvelous! ;)

Why cruise lines still stick with set dining times is beyond me.

Maybe because some people like set dining times? We did the freestyly dining on NCL and did not like it. IMO it is just a way for NCL to get more money for their alternative dining rooms because the food and the service in the "free" dining room was very lacking.

I think it's great if Carnival wants to give you a choice but I hope they don't go all anytime dining.

we've had similar experiences to most other people in this thread with the anytime dining - we loved it! :D

it's nice to be able to go anytime you want. we usually like to eat around 7:00, so the anytime dining gives us that flexibility. i would definitely recommend it!

It sure seems like...everyone who says, "We like to eat whenever we want to," seems to say that "when they want to is around 7:00 pm," sounds like that could make for a log jam!!! However, apparently its working!

We still enjoy the set dining time...it just seems more formal to me! Call it traditional...however, I understand its day may be numbered! We'll see!

It sure seems like...everyone who says, "We like to eat whenever we want to," seems to say that "when they want to is around 7:00 pm," sounds like that could make for a log jam!!! However, apparently its working!

We still enjoy the set dining time...it just seems more formal to me! Call it traditional...however, I understand its day may be numbered! We'll see!

we were worried about having to wait because we figured there might be a lot of other people that wanted to eat around 7:00, but we never did have to wait. it was a nice surprise. :)

Maybe because some people like set dining times? We did the freestyly dining on NCL and did not like it. IMO it is just a way for NCL to get more money for their alternative dining rooms because the food and the service in the "free" dining room was very lacking.

I think it's great if Carnival wants to give you a choice but I hope they don't go all anytime dining.

I totally agree with you. We sailed 3 times on NCL before we sailed with Carnival again, and we were really happy to get back to a set dining time. I loved walking in and having my special drink waiting for me, and most of all just walking in and being served. On NCL, because it is anytime dining or pay extra restaurants, there is always, always a wait. On at-sea nights we have waited up to an hour to be seated. To me it is just not as special. This is not a knock on NCL, I like their line a lot. I too hope that Carnival doesn't go all anytime dining.

We will be trying this for the first time on our Pride cruise. We have always chosen early dining because that is what we are used to at home, and we would have a hard time adjusting to dinner at 8 pm or later. However, we have found that on some nights, we simply are not ready to eat so early, since our schedules have changed slightly, or we came back from a port and got an afternoon snack, whatever. We are looking forward to the flexibility to still be able to eat in the dining room, even if we are not quite ready at the assigned time.

On NCL, because it is anytime dining or pay extra restaurants, there is always, always a wait.

On at-sea nights, we have waited up to an hour to be seated. ===> That's ridiculous.

To me it is just not as special.

Their system simply is not working

I do like knowing where my table is and who my waiter is.

I totally agree with you. We sailed 3 times on NCL before we sailed with Carnival again, and we were really happy to get back to a set dining time. I loved walking in and having my special drink waiting for me, and most of all just walking in and being served. On NCL, because it is anytime dining or pay extra restaurants, there is always, always a wait. On at-sea nights we have waited up to an hour to be seated. To me it is just not as special. This is not a knock on NCL, I like their line a lot. I too hope that Carnival doesn't go all anytime dining.

Although I can handle set dining times,

I have to say that anytime dining beats set times with a stick!

We've done anytime dining twice now on a UK cruise line,last year

-and it worked bloody marvelous! ;)

I hate anytime dining, and most people I know feel the same. Hope it never goes away.

Hmmm....would seem I'm not in the minority...as I originally thought! I don't like to wait around...in a restaurant lobby...here at home...muchless on vacation. I like to go straight in and eat! I would NOT enjoy having to wait!

Anyhow...to me...other than specific excursions...which can sometimes encroach upon my set dining time...I actually, normally enjoy...the set time...I like the same waiters, the same table, AND its usually the ONLY thing in my day...that occurs on a schedule. Everything else is at a whim. So I don't mind...one focal point in time...for the day.

We had a great experience! So much that we changed our next 2 cruises to Anytime.

We had the same waiter and the same table every night....exactly a 6 minute wait once. Awesome table for 4 next to the window....it was great and would never go back to set dining, unless I really have to.

We always eat dinner between 6:00 and 6:30 at home. Gee, that's early seating isn't it? I am diabetic and I must eat pretty much on schedule (our diabetic daughters need to learn that trick) to maintain my tight blood sugar control. The day that only anytime dining is the only choice, I will have to rethink cruising for vacations.

Doc

We had a great experience! So much that we changed our next 2 cruises to Anytime.

We had the same waiter and the same table every night....exactly a 6 minute wait once. Awesome table for 4 next to the window....it was great and would never go back to set dining, unless I really have to.

Same table, same waiter! Whats the point of anytime dining? Sounds like fixed time to me.

Has anyone tried the "anytime dining" and how did it work out for you. Thinking about trying it on Carnival Legend in a few weeks.

Thanks, K

We had the pleasure of using anytime dining last August on the Legend out of Tampa shortly after it was introduced. We truly enjoyed it and are doing the same this August. On the Legend they use a part of the balcony in the dining room for anytime.

You eat when you want, we never had a wait. The menu is the same as the rest of the dining room and you have the same interaction with the wait staff that you do with traditional dining.

Try it once and you will likely never go with traditional again.

We enjoyed the Any Time Dining on the Elation a couple of weeks ago and loved it. We liked not having to be at the dining room at a set time as we are not always hungry or ready a 6 and 8:15 is too late for me to start dinner.

We had a great wait staff the first night and requested them the rest of the cruise. We got the same table except for one night.

We never had to wait and we did not ever arrive at the same time, and we were never rushed to finish because the tables needed to be set up for the next group.

We just tried to make it there before the entertainment started which we were able to do every night.

We have had mixed results with assigned dinner table mates and enjoyed being able to enjoy each others company for dinner.

With Carnival offering both options, at least on the few ships with Any Time dining, every one should be able to find the right way to enjoy dinner.

I was advised by my Carnival agent that you had to call in to reserve a time/table for earling dining. Can someone confirm. Also, if this isn't true can you go to dining truly at any time?

You may make a reservation if you want, but it is not necessary. Just like any restaurant you can just walk up and be seated. Sometimes there is a short wait, but not usually.

Archived