Poll: What we actually wear on formal nights on Carnival

TnTnFlorida

What do men really wear on Carnival elegant nights  

381 members have voted

1. 1. What do men really wear on Carnival elegant nights

• I wear a tuxedo to the main dining room (MDR).
    • I wear a suit and tie to the main dining room
    • I have worn either a tuxedo or a suit/tie to the MDR
    • I wear a sport coat/slacks with a tie to the MDR
    • I wear a sport coat/slacks with open collar or turtleneck to the MDR
    • I do not wear a coat/tie, but still wear dress slacks.
    • I choose to dress casual, kacki pants and casual shirt.
    • I choose to dress casual, dress shorts.
    • I choose to dress casual and do not eat in the main dining room.
    • Oops! Ignore this last option!

I saw this poll on Princess forum, and am curious to see what the results are on Carnival.

We have often seen opinions about what is worn or could be worn to the Main Dining Room. The Carnival Cruises dress code for formal nights is fairly clear.

Many posts are from a small set of persons with fairly strong viewpoints, and may not reflect what is actually done.

The intent of this poll is to see what the real statistics may be for a sample of Cruise Critic members who have sailed on Carnival Cruises.

This poll should:

• only show what the man actually wears. This is not a "what should be allowed" poll.
  • Be for Carnival Cruises only (not other cruise lines)
  • show one person = one vote (not who can post more comments supporting a position)
  • enable all Cruise Critic members to stand up and be counted (poll is anonymous).

The objective is to have the numbers speak for themselves for those cruisers who wonder what is the "norm" for men's wear on formal nights.

I saw this poll on Princess forum, and am curious to see what the results are on Carnival.

We have often seen opinions about what is worn or could be worn to the Main Dining Room. The Carnival Cruises dress code for formal nights is fairly clear.

Many posts are from a small set of persons with fairly strong viewpoints, and may not reflect what is actually done.

The intent of this poll is to see what the real statistics may be for a sample of Cruise Critic members who have sailed on Carnival Cruises.

This poll should:

• only show what the man actually wears. This is not a "what should be allowed" poll.
  • show one person = one vote (not who can post more comments supporting a position)
  • enable all Cruise Critic members to stand up and be counted (poll is anonymous).

The objective is to have the numbers speak for themselves for those cruisers who wonder what is the "norm" for men's wear on formal nights.

Err... I'm missing the poll. ;-)

I answered for what my DH wears, sport jacket, slacks and tie. I really miss the days when just about every man wore a tux--however, the coverse side of that coin had me dressing far for formally than I do now, which I do not miss at all. So, overall, I am ok with DH doing the sport jacket, slacks thing. He still looks like a million bucks, regardless ;)

I registered DH's vote. To this point, he's only worn tuxedos; HOWEVER, in less than a week, we will be on the Pride, and this time around he plans to wear a sports coat with a shirt, no tie.

I'm very pleased. I hate getting really dressed up.

I registered for hubby :)

My harley riding jean wearing manly man always wears a suit with tie to the MDR on formal nights..as soon as dinner is over he rushes back to the cabin and on comes the jeans and and a harley Tee :D

But I get about 2 hours of seeing him all dressed up :)

I have always worn a full suit and tie...but after last years cruise...and relaxing of the formal night dress code policy...I noticed a bunch...of sports coats/slacks...with a variety of undershirts. So this year...for the first time...I'm just going to do the sports coat thingy!

voted for dh--he doesn't post on CC. He used to always wear a suit but since the rules have relaxed he is 100% for it.

He was always a speed demon to get that suit off after dinner :D

He now always wears shorts and shirts to dinner on non-formal nights. He LOVES the new rules.

My DH's option is not available. On Carribean cruises, he wears a dress shirt and slacks. On other cruises, he wears a suit & tie. It is our belief (probably because of living in Key West) that Carribean cruises are more casual.

I bought a tuxedo a couple of years ago as it was less expensive than renting one. I now have a white dinner jacket too. Since our next cruise will be before labor day, I will take both the black and white jackets and have a different look for both Cruise Elegant Nights.

Despite what many people say here, I think you will find the majority of men will dress in at least a sport coat and dress slacks and plenty will be wearing formal attire.

Doc:D

I think a lot of it has to do with the itenerary, length of cruise, time of year and occasion.

In my personal experiance, people dress more on a long Christmas and New Years cruise than on a weekend to the Bahamas.

In the summer, people tend to be more casual, especially in the Caribbean, in the winter, dress more, especially for holidays.

Shorter weekend cruises are more casual than 14 day cruises.

The Bahamas is more casual than Alaska or Europe.

It just depends.

The few times I've sailed with a male companion, be it grandson, brothers or friend, they've always worn either dark suit and tie or tuxedo.

On one occasion, one of my brothers wore his full Tartan dress regalia. One of my friends usually wears his Dress Blues, being a Marine and all....

I just got off the Carnival Miracle and I was extremely surprised at how relaxed people dressed for both Elegant night and casual nights. Even on Elegant night I saw flip flops and tshirts....and not just one or two!!! Because we knew that the dress code was more relaxed, DH wore dress slacks, dress shirt and tie....no jacket. He fit in perfectly.

This poll should:

Sorry but the poll is completely out of date.

There no longer is a formal night on any Carnival cruise. Formal night has been replaced, OFFICIALLY, by cruise elegant night. Among other things, cruise elegant night states that a collared shirt and slacks is fine on cruise elegant nights. There is no longer any pretense that it is a dressy or formal occasion. When Carnival still pretended, but NEVER enforced, that there was a formal night, I wore a tux. Now I would not consider it. I'm considering bib overalls in protest.

Sorry but the poll is completely out of date.

There no longer is a formal night on any Carnival cruise. Formal night has been replaced, OFFICIALLY, by cruise elegant night. Among other things, cruise elegant night states that a collared shirt and slacks is fine on cruise elegant nights. There is no longer any pretense that it is a dressy or formal occasion. When Carnival still pretended, but NEVER enforced, that there was a formal night, I wore a tux. Now I would not consider it. I'm considering bib overalls in protest.

lol, sounds like a plan - I don't think that such garb is on the verboten list for CRUISE ELEGANT night... :D

Tom

DH has always worn a suit and tie, and will continue to do so with the change from "formal" to "elegant".

What I have always thought looked odd is the discrepancy between the couples: the woman will be dressed to the nines with updo and long gown, and the male companion in a polo shirt with dockers. It just looks a little off, in my opinion.

I do agree that some cruises have a different "feel" about them, and some seem more casual than others, but the reality is that the dress code is the same for short or long cruises, no matter what port they sail from.

Thank you so much to all of you who voted on my poll! I am thrilled to have such a large pool to chose from. DH and I love to dress up, and reading these polls has led me to believe we will be out of place if we didn't show up for dinner in our swim wear and flip flops! I am happy to see that about 50% of the people still wear tux or suit, so that if DH wants to dress up, (which he will!), he won't feel too out of place! And to Dan40, I am aware that Carnival changed the name from "formal" to "elegant". My intent was to find out what people wear!;)

Thank you so much to all of you who voted on my poll! I am thrilled to have such a large pool to chose from. DH and I love to dress up, and reading these polls has led me to believe we will be out of place if we didn't show up for dinner in our swim wear and flip flops! I am happy to see that about 50% of the people still wear tux or suit, so that if DH wants to dress up, (which he will!), he won't feel too out of place! And to Dan40, I am aware that Carnival changed the name from "formal" to "elegant". My intent was to find out what people wear!;)

Odd then, that you would not ask what people wear to cruise elegant night.

Your answer is that people WILL wear on 'cruise elegant' night, whatever they damn well please. Carnival's adherence to their own dress code has been all but non-existent for years. You could see someone in a tux, but you could see someone in ratty jeans shorts and a dirty t shirt too. With a Redman chewing tobacco baseball cap on bassackwards.

There have been HUNDREDS of polls on this board WHEN there was a formal night. Every one of them came out about 70 to 80+% in favor of suits and tuxes. With that CLEAR and CONSTANT majority in favor of dressing, Carnival relaxes the rules to next to nothing.

Odd then, that you would not ask what people wear to cruise elegant night.

Your answer is that people WILL wear on 'cruise elegant' night, whatever they damn well please. Carnival's adherence to their own dress code has been all but non-existent for years. You could see someone in a tux, but you could see someone in ratty jeans shorts and a dirty t shirt too. With a Redman chewing tobacco baseball cap on bassackwards.

There have been HUNDREDS of polls on this board WHEN there was a formal night. Every one of them came out about 70 to 80+% in favor of suits and tuxes. With that CLEAR and CONSTANT majority in favor of dressing, Carnival relaxes the rules to next to nothing.

I just got back from a week in the Southern Caribbean and am getting ready to go spend a weekend cruise to Nassau. I would be so happy to just wear my jean shorts and flip flops the whole time. Sometimes I eat in the buffet just because I don't feel like getting dressed up. During Christmas, New Years or next summer in the Med, I'll feel totally different.

I understand that some people just live for dressing up, and that's cool. I wish there was some way they could make one of the dining rooms formal and the other one not. They have two, I don't see why they can't give people a choice. Formal Dining Room, or Casual Dining Room? Early seating or Late seating? Should be simple. :confused:

Archived