Internet with my own laptop?

The cost is the same if you use your laptop or their machines. You will initially have to sign in on one of their machines and select how much service you want. There machines take your SeaPass card which is how you pay for you time. If you get a coupon from C&A, bring it to the desk and they will tell you how to apply it for extra time. Good Sailing, Murf

We are sailing on the Rhapsody July 17th to Alaska. Will I be able to connect to the internet with my laptop? Any idea on charges?

No Ethernet in Cabin. Only wireless hotspots at various lounges/locations around ship. Yep, 55cents for casual use, or buy a pckage for lower per minute rate.

Sue and Phil

As a reminder, when using your laptop, keep the initial page open or bookmark it so that you can logoff of the internet to stop charges quickly when you finish.

Fortunately RCCL gives the option to create a book mark easily when you are on the log in page and have successfully gotten in.

No wireless connections in cabins? Is that standard for all RCI ships?

What about the Jewel?

Just off the Jewel, no connection in cabins. Or very flaky if you happen to be close enough to a hot spot.

But, when connected in the designated areas of the ship, I found the connection to be pretty good, certainly as fast or faster than dial up.

FWIW - On the Liberty in 2007, I had no problem connecting to the wireless from our cabin, and from our balcony. So it just depends on the ship.

It was pretty sweet, sitting on our balcony, IMing friends back home, fruity drink in hand. :D

If you take your own laptop, can you type up your emails in Microsoft Word or another typing software, and then connect to the internet just to "Copy and Paste" your email into a New Message on your email account, so that way you don't waste time online and connected to the internet, while you type your message??

If you take your own laptop, can you type up your emails in Microsoft Word or another typing software, and then connect to the internet just to "Copy and Paste" your email into a New Message on your email account, so that way you don't waste time online and connected to the internet, while you type your message??

This is exactly what I did. I was sending emails and posting a 'live from Liberty' thread. I would type everything up and then log in just to upload. I found the speeds to be about like anything you would find in any other public wi-fi hotspot.

Just off the explorer - I took my netbook and always had a connection from our stateroom - the signal strength was low, but it worked just fine. And yes, you can pre-type e-mails in another program and then paste them. That's exactly what I did, and it's great since you can type as much as you want without rushing. I bought the $28 package, which was $0.47/minute.

You can use Google gmail- Off Line feature.

Compose and send your e-mail and it sits waiting until you connect and it goes. We found it was great.

May wait a bit before disconnecting so new e-mail can download. Then you can read your e-mail off line at your leisure.:D Saves Internet money.

• 3 weeks later...

We usually create the message and click send. You will get a message asking if you want to go online. Click no. Your message is then in your outbox and is sent when you do go online. I have been able to send and retrieve messages in 2 minutes or less. That is without pictures. Sending even small files can be a problem . This was true on the Jewel and Mariner.

Is there a way to print onboard, say your boarding pass for the return flight home?

By the way, at least for SouthWest and United, there is no need to actually print out the boarding pass. You can just do the online checkin without printing anything.

If you do that, you'll have to go to one of the kiosks at the airport and "reprint" your boarding pass, but if you are checking any bags that's trivial since you're already going to have to go to the kiosk for that.

I don't know if other airlines are different, but can definitely confirm this for SW and United. For SW I check in from my iPhone and it is all good. Dealing with actually printing the boarding pass, whether at hotel or on a cruise ship, is just not worth the hassle for me.

Nancy

I do not recall seeing printers at the computer stations. Not sure how you

could do that.

If I were you and you are going to the airport from the ship, tell the Guest

Relations desk that you are going on a flight and you have to get there

early. Then you have plenty of time to get the boarding pass from

your airport or the kiosk.

Happy cruising!!!

Archived