San Clemente in Rome

Can anyone tell me if the same rules apply at San Clemente as with other curches? Do women need to cover their knees and shoulders when visiting San Clemente? Any rules for men? Thank you very much!

It's a Basilica and I'm pretty sure that the same rules apply to it that apply to other basilicas in Rome (no bare shoulders or knees). In order to get to the lower levels, you need to enter the church. We were there last October & thought it was very interesting. I can't remember if anyone was there in shorts or sleeveless tops, but I think as a general rule in Italy you are better off covering both shoulders and knees in churches, not only to comply with the dress code, but as a matter of respect since this is a common expectation in Italy.

Then I will be respectful and cover up:) I wanted it on authority from someone else so my daughter doesn't think I make this stuff up:rolleyes: Thank you very much! I am assuming the same applies for men?

I wanted it on authority from someone else so my daughter doesn't think I make this stuff up:rolleyes:

LOL, I can relate to that!:)

This sign, that conveys the dress code for both men and women in a few simple pictures, should help: Vatican dress code

This sign, that conveys the dress code for both men and women in a few simple pictures, should help: Vatican dress code

That should make it crystal clear to my family:D

Many thanks for the photo link! I am off to tell my family the good news:eek:

Can anyone tell me if the same rules apply at San Clemente as with other curches? Do women need to cover their knees and shoulders when visiting San Clemente? Any rules for men? Thank you very much!

We just came back from Rome and toured San Clemente. All our boys had shorts on. Not short shorts... the standard type that guys are wearing that pretty much come down to their knee. Not past the knee though. I don't think any of us girls had on shorts or tank tops, so we weren't worried. It was not as strict as an experience as Santa Croce in Florence, or anything like St. Peter's.

By the way... fascinating church! I loved the different levels. Don't get lost down there... it's wild!

Archived