Just Returned Statendam Alaska Cruise 6/14 - 6/21

dizzy1949

We have just returned from our first Alaskan adventure (4 days land and 7 days cruise) and our first time on HAL and we couldn't be more pleased with our whole experience! I was a little apprehensive before leaving, as I had faithfully read most of the threads -both good and bad- but we were not disappointed at all! The weather was great, the land accommodations were clean and comfortable, and everything on the ship- food, cabin, service, entertainment - was excellent! If you can at all afford it, book a verandah cabin!!! WORTH EVERY PENNY!

There were hand sanitizers EVERYWHERE(hotels, busses, land excursions, all over the cruise ship) as they had had a scare the cruise before so we all felt quite "clean" during our trip.

For those who haven't been to Alaska, as we hadn't, it is a wonderland!! We've never seen anything more magnificent and I hope you too will be in awe as we were of it's beauty. The people, the land, the wildlife - you won't be disappointed.

So, you first timers on HAL, the Statendam, and Alaska, do not fear! A magical time awaits you - just sit back, relax, and take the ride!!!! Hakuna Matata!!!:)

Tarheel, I read (and enjoyed) your review. Thank you.

I was hoping you might be willing to answer a few questions as I am planning a similar trip as you and trying to decide if I should do the Land tour through HAL or on my own.

You mention that you had to book your own transportation from the train station in Denali to the hotel at a cost of $18 per person. Which company did you use - and do you have the contact information?

For the Tundra Wilderness Tour, what bus picked you up - the one for the Tour? Did you have to prearrange this first with the tour or do they just have regularly scheduled stops?

Did the hotel shuttle to the different stops - dinner, etc. cost anything or just tips?

And, again, for the bus trip back to Anchorage, did you have to prearrange the pick up or was it already a scheduled stop? When the bus dropped you off at the Anchorage Museum, did you just leave your luggage on the bus? If you had not done the museum, would they have taken you wherever you wanted?

Any detail you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Lynda

Dizzy1949 - Glad you had such a wonderful time. My DH and I will also be on the Statendam in Sept with a cruisetour first. It will also be our first time on HAL and first to Alaska. What # cruisetour did you take?

Did you do any shore excursions? We will be on somewhat of a budget, so which excursions are just not to be missed???? It will just be my husband and myself. We have never been to Alaska (or Canada) and this is on my "bucket list" - to see whales and glaciers. Thanks for any input.:D

Did you do any shore excursions? We will be on somewhat of a budget, so which excursions are just not to be missed???? It will just be my husband and myself. We have never been to Alaska (or Canada) and this is on my "bucket list" - to see whales and glaciers. Thanks for any input.:D

We booked the Mendenall Glacier and Whale Quest ($159) through HAL online for Juneau. Unlike in the Caribbean, it seems that Alaska tours are not cheaper if you do it yourself (eg the zipline tour in Ketchikan is the same price whether with HAL or through their website).

And in Haines and Ketchikan, the DIY tours are either unavailable (Haines tour company has a disconnected phone line now) or cheap ($39 duck tour--again, same price on their website as on HAL).

A few of the tours are offered with a Alaskan salmon bake adde on, but I figured we could have salmon on the ship.

Plus HAL has a generous cancellation policy on their excursions.

Have you booked your train (or bus) from Anchorage to Seward? (the train cancellation policy is not so generous :eek:)

For Vancouver, if you're not staying overnight, you can take the local bus (Cdn$2.50pp with one change of bus) or a taxi (about Cdn$30). But with the bus you have to handle your own luggage.

I never thought about the transportation from Anchorage to Seward! How far is Seward from Anchorage? Guess I'll add that to my list of things to look into when I'm not busy...........ha!! I've read several reviews that talked about the glacier excursion in Juneau. I've also read some positive reviews about the whale watching excursion and the White Pass train excursion. I'd love to do them all, but after putting a daughter through college (paid as we went so she didn't graduate with loans), money is tight and we don't really want to run up credit cards....... I really appreciate your insight. Thanks!!!

Archived