Not Safe to Fall Asleep on the Glory?

WK-Orlando

You guys were way too nice!!! I would of demanded a Cabin Change !!! even if it was down with the crew! The Cruise Director would of been called and even the Safety Officer and Hotel Manager.

I don't think they would of wanted me moving into the lounge room and unpacking my clothing over the piano.

Fred

You guys were way too nice!!! I would of demanded a Cabin Change !!! even if it was down with the crew! The Cruise Director would of been called and even the Safety Officer and Hotel Manager.

I don't think they would of wanted me moving into the lounge room and unpacking my clothing over the piano.

Fred

No Freddy.. the spa! sauna showers and hot tubs!

Why is it so hard to believe that a for profit company registering their ships in 3rd world countries to avoid all kinds of regulations can do no wrong; ever?

I have only been on one Cruise and soon to be two next month on Carnival and am going back because we couldn't have had a better vacation last time so. You can say I'm a new fan of their product. That being said I think they do a good job dealing with passengers overall but all companies have made mistakes or worse.

Obviously, by my post count I'm new here but one thing I picked up on really quick was the "If it didn't happen to me, it didn't happen period" mentality. Granted those who have been here a while probably have seen their fair share of whining over petty things and I'm sure it gets old; but to the point of dissection of every action/statement of the OP? It's not his job to put on his OSHA hat and investigate the source and makeup of the smell just as it isn't up to him to be out of his cabin because he should be on a shore excursion.

The ship has to be maintained as a previous poster said but in a case like this, should their be a chance of noxious fumes being introuduced to passenger cabins a little warning before hand at the very least would have gone a long way.

I feel for the OP as I am pretty sensitive to various chemicals/ solvents etc. as it gives me pretty nasty headaches. Even if I didn't have a similiar sensitivity I would think that it wasn't an acceptable situation for the duration of their cruise.

You catch on quick! I like you!:)

We were on deck 2. Best we can figure, they were stripping and painting behind some of the tender/life boats right on top of an air intake for the AC in our section. Never got a straight answer. There was also construction in the laundry room just down the hall and next to the print shop. Could have been any of them. Smell could have been marine paint, glue solvent, or even from the print shop. I know they had the source as when we pitched a fit each time, the smell stopped shortly after. Got the impression that the officer in charge of repairs wanted to the crew to keep schedule and did not seem to care what they were doing to us. The Pursers office would call to complain and they would stop for awhile and then get redirected to start up again.

We were on the Glory June 6th cruise and we also were on deck 2 and smelled this smell in the hallway. Not in our room though. I had seem them painting the week we were on as well.

This Perry Mason (sarcasm :rolleyes:fully intended against all those who feel the need to post those kind of posts!:mad:) wants to know what the pax in the other 4 cabins that were affected did, had to say, etc. to the OP?????????

FIVE voices would have had a lot more clout than one, at least in this Denny Crane's mind!!!!!!!:eek:

Thank you for sharing your bad experience. I'm sorry that you had to go through that and I hope that it did not cause you or your family any health problems. You did the right thing by getting out. You don't have to stick around and try to identify the smell. The cruise line will always play things down.

Good luck

FIVE voices would have had a lot more clout than one, at least in this Denny Crane's mind!!!!!!!:eek:

You got that right! I am amazed at the people who just believe this sort of stuff without stopping to think if it is cooked up to either:

a) get a rise out of a cruise board audience

or

b) try and get some free stuff from the cruise line

Last cruise I went on, because we were with Cruise Critic, we had a special party and the Hotel Manager came to speak to the group. He said the staff and corporate are very aware of what is being said on these boards, and really appreciated our time and attention. He gave us all his business cards which included his phone number on the ship.

Now, you tell me, if there was the slightest problem - not to mention a severe problem like the OP reported - and a guest contacted this man, it WOULD be remedied immediately. This guy is the #2 man on the ship and the #1 man for guest services. The Captain is a mariner and not really a service provider, so you don't normally go to him with problems.

The OP had OBVIOUSLY not pursued the issue onboard the ship, and instead chooses to pursue it here where it does absolutely no good. But it does seem to fool some people.

I have to post another thought on this ... on one of my earlier cruises, I think it was on Holiday out of San Juan, that ship has a vibrating aft section. Certain rooms are worse than others; we were aft but had no problem with the vibrations.

Some people in our large group did have a big problem, however, and went to the purser to complain. When told there were no rooms available, they said they planned to sleep in the lobby then. They got the pillows and blankets and lay down in front of the purer's desk.

What do you know - they found a room for them to switch to. Probably kicked some entertainer down to the crew quarters. Anyway they were happy the rest of the cruise.

This goes to show you, they WILL move you, even after you are told that there are no rooms available. You just have to create a scene.

I have to post another thought on this ... on one of my earlier cruises, I think it was on Holiday out of San Juan, that ship has a vibrating aft section. Certain rooms are worse than others; we were aft but had no problem with the vibrations.

Some people in our large group did have a big problem, however, and went to the purser to complain. When told there were no rooms available, they said they planned to sleep in the lobby then. They got the pillows and blankets and lay down in front of the purer's desk.

What do you know - they found a room for them to switch to. Probably kicked some entertainer down to the crew quarters. Anyway they were happy the rest of the cruise.

This goes to show you, they WILL move you, even after you are told that there are no rooms available. You just have to create a scene.

All ships have vibrations aft. Those that understand the vibration don't even notice it. Scareas the hell out of some people tho.

cav·i·ta·tion 1. The sudden formation and collapse of low-pressure bubbles in liquids by means of mechanical forces, such as those resulting from rotation of a marine propeller.:eek:

On the OP's smell complaint. Marine paint does have a very strong odor. Strong enough to bother some, while others would think, "Yuk!" and ignore it. And painting is a constant on ships in salt water.

The OP could just be very sensitive to the marine paint odor.

On the OP's smell complaint. Marine paint does have a very strong odor. Strong enough to bother some, while others would think, "Yuk!" and ignore it. And painting is a constant on ships in salt water.

Yes, that is possible. However, if they are the only people on the ship that have that problem, it is more their problem than Carnival's.

Still, I think if the OP had properly escalated the issue, they would have been moved or at a minimum the painting would have been stopped. The OP did not complain properly, or just did not have much to complain about.

No, that behavior shows an immaturity beyond the norm. Infantile and silly.

Grownups who throw temper tantrums are simply annoying.

Lets take a poll: Who believes this story and who does not?

My vote: not

Just wanted you to know that I am not going to vote in what I feel is a very imature way to take this thread. I think it is "hijacking" into another arena. The OP reported the issues they had, you have constructive information to provide, or you move on. As others have reported, this has happened to them. To find out how they were able to deal with this situation can be very constructive information for anyone who has this, or something similar, happen to them.

Here is to trouble-free crusing for everyone!

No' date=' that behavior shows an immaturity beyond the norm. Infantile and silly.

Grownups who throw temper tantrums are simply annoying.[/quote']

I wasn't me who did it, and I would not have done it, personally, I would have just dealt with the vibrations. I thought those guys were pansies.

But, as I said, making a scene can be a very effective way of dealing with a problem IF there is an easy and inexpensive way to accomodate you, like moving to another room.

I shoud say, based on what I have read, this tactic does NOT work for getting monetary compensation.

All ships have vibrations aft. Those that understand the vibration don't even notice it. Scareas the hell out of some people tho.

cav·i·ta·tion 1. The sudden formation and collapse of low-pressure bubbles in liquids by means of mechanical forces, such as those resulting from rotation of a marine propeller.:eek:

dan40 was responding to a post that was talking about aft vibration on Holiday.

Truthfully, dead folks would notice the aft vibration on Holiday.

If you liked those old hotel beds where you could put in a quarter and the bed would vibrate, then you will love the Holiday rear cabins.

About marine paint...

I have painted a lot.

We used to have some rental houses and I painted more than I ever wanted to.

Latex doesn't bother me at all, and I even kind of enjoy the smell of oil paint. I like cleaning the paint brushes in paint thinner.

So I am not a paint "sissy".

But marine paint is a whole other thing.

They were painting at work and painted a door and door frame in our department with marine paint.

I though that I might die.

The fumes made me so ill that I went home and felt really bad all night.

Other people did not like the smell, but it didn't make them feel sick.

And two years ago on Glory the air conditioning was out in our cabin. It was out in our daughter's cabin next door too.

The first day a guy came and worked on the air in both cabins. We were told that the previous passengers must have been cold asked that it be made warmer in the cabin.

Our daughter's cabin was nice and cool from then on. Ours was still out.

We called again the next day and another guy came to work on it.

The second guy worked on it and said that he had done all that he could do to get it working.

The cabin steward brought us a box fan and we toughed it out.

On the last day of the cruise a guy showed up to "fix the air".

He was the air conditioning repairman.

When we asked where he had been for the past six days he said that he had just been notified That Morning of the needed repair.

He said that he would have come earlier if he had known...

It took him less than half an hour to fix it.

Go figure...

On the last day of the cruise a guy showed up to "fix the air".

He was the air conditioning repairman.

When we asked where he had been for the past six days he said that he had just been notified That Morning of the needed repair.

He said that he would have come earlier if he had known...

It took him less than half an hour to fix it.

Go figure...

That's a great example of the problem we have here - we are used to telling the front desk or the room steward and we expect our request to be done. And it should be. And that is the right way to make an initial request.

However, if the problem is not fixed in a timely manner (you be the judge of what timely means) then the next step is to go to an executive, and I recommend the Hotel Manager. You never should have to talk to him but if you do, then he really needs to know because that means someone has let the guests down. He has the power to correct the problem and to address the people who did not come through.

He also knows who to call for any problem and if he says it will be fixed then it will be fixed soon, if it can be.

So, remember, there is always a manager you can talk to on a cruise ship!

That's a great example of the problem we have here - we are used to telling the front desk or the room steward and we expect our request to be done. And it should be. And that is the right way to make an initial request.

However, if the problem is not fixed in a timely manner (you be the judge of what timely means) then the next step is to go to an executive, and I recommend the Hotel Manager. You never should have to talk to him but if you do, then he really needs to know because that means someone has let the guests down. He has the power to correct the problem and to address the people who did not come through.

He also knows who to call for any problem and if he says it will be fixed then it will be fixed soon, if it can be.

What many people don't realize is that people are placed in certain positions for a reason. People at the purser's are considered to be one of the most specialized positions on the passenger side of things. They are moved to that position when they have demonstrated an innate ability to:

1. Smile under any circumstance.

2. Make the customer think they care.

3. Appease the customer to the point that the customer won't "bother" anyone up the food chain.

4. Never let on that their only goal is to send you on your way.

5. Look really pretty girl or boy. This is also a business strategy. Pretty girls have a way of making it difficult for most guys to complain too hard and vice/versa.

This is not unusual in any business. Corporations are quite fond of saying that the customer is always right but behind closed doors it's all about getting the money with the least amount of grief.

On the rare occasions that we have had a complaint when we travel I am always sure to go over the issue at least twice and to ask exactly who, and when it will be fixed. I know that I would have asked if the a/c mechanic was notified and when would HE be coming by to fix the problem. Unfortunately, we all must learn to ask twice and then review what we have been promised and to then ask at least one more question....and that is.....is this the right peron to correct the problem? It is a sad state.....for sure:confused::(

People at the purser's are considered to be one of the most specialized positions on the passenger side of things.

Not always. I have personally witnessed people on their first day of employment with Carnival assisting passengers at the purser's desk.

The person at the purser's desk may have as much training as your average hotel clerk. If the task involves money or something requiring skill, they will call for a properly qualified person.

If you are simply reporting that your A/C is not working, or your toilet won't flush, or you smell something bad, you will most likely be dealing with the person who could be relatively ignorant of how to address your needs.

You - the passenger - have the responsibility to see to it that your needs are addressed. You cannot expect the purser's desk to do this.

Not always. I have personally witnessed people on their first day of employment with Carnival assisting passengers at the purser's desk.

The person at the purser's desk may have as much training as your average hotel clerk. If the task involves money or something requiring skill, they will call for a properly qualified person.

If you are simply reporting that your A/C is not working, or your toilet won't flush, or you smell something bad, you will most likely be dealing with the person who could be relatively ignorant of how to address your needs.

You - the passenger - have the responsibility to see to it that your needs are addressed. You cannot expect the purser's desk to do this.

I think you may need to tune up your sarcasm detector.

I can't believe how people get jumped all over for legitimate complaints. The "Carnival Lovers" seem to be slathering lunatics who believe Carnival can do no wrong.

We were in Riviera 1300, 1304 & 1308 from June 20 - 27. On the morning of the 25th we had an overpowering odor in our room that did smell like paint thinner or some other chemical. I got an immediate headache. I can very well see how anyone with a breathing condition would be extremely bothered by this. I stepped out into the hall and the residents of many other cabins were there voicing their concerns to some type of Carnival employee. The Carnival rep made it seem like this was a "one time" deal, there was some type of "accident" and would be cleaned up soon. We were told it was limited to midship area of levels 1 & 2. That noxious smell was in our room all day, night, and into the mid-morning hours of the 26th.

I will tell you something, I am the biggest Carnival fan out there. I will tell you something else though, dealing with Carnival with any type of complaint is like talking to a brick wall. They know where thay are, they are in the middle of the ocean, they are in charge, everything they say is the law, and there is absolutely NO reason for them to compromise or deviate from the lines they draw in the sand.

The Carnival rep in my hallway knew this was an ongoing problem, but they decided the company line is, "This is a one time accident and we will take care of it in our own time." In every dealing I have had, going to a higher level will yield the exact same result, "WE are in charge and WE are going to circle the wagons because there is absolutely nothing you can do about it."

lol.....by the way, to all the slathering Carnival Kneewalkers, I am not "making this up."

Archived