Tips - Euros or U.S. Dollars Better?

Next month I'll be on Voyager for a Med cruise, so I picked up Euros to bring with. I always sign up to have tips charged to my seapass account and add cash to the envelopes or hand out cash to bartenders, etc. My question is: When in Europe is it better to tip in Euros or U.S. dollars?

Thanks,

Since most people tip on the ship in USA dollars I would use the USA dollars for the extra tips and then use the Euros in port. If you have some left at the end and don't plan on returing to Europe that might be a different story but if you would be getting more euros because you use this up I wouldn't do that given the surcharges that one undoubtedly pays for the conversion from one currency to the other. If you do tip in Euros also keep in mind that one euro is worth more than one usa dollar.

Keith

Since most people tip on the ship in USA dollars I would use the USA dollars for the extra tips and then use the Euros in port. If you have some left at the end and don't plan on returing to Europe that might be a different story but if you would be getting more euros because you use this up I wouldn't do that given the surcharges that one undoubtedly pays for the conversion from one currency to the other. If you do tip in Euros also keep in mind that one euro is worth more than one usa dollar.

Keith

LOL, I got exchange rate shock today when I picked up the Euros and am pretty sure I'll remember the exchange isn't one for one. But a glass of wine, a good meal, I could forget:D

I will use the Euros for end of cruise tips and, if necessary, supplement them with U.S. dollars, since I don't anticipate being in Europe again soon.

Thanks for your help.

Keep in mind that if you do tip in dollars that there are plenty of places that will exchange the dollar for a Euro, unlike the US. There are banks, cambios, etc. that are everywhere in Europe.

I take lots of dollars and leave them for tips.

Hi,

Just back off RCI Legend of the Seas and they recommended tipping in US$ or UK£.

We'd only taken Euros as nealry all ports in the E.U. Good job we'd prepaid ours but felt we did need to top up for the excellent service of our steward. But they can soon spend those ashore.

Just slightly off topic, but 2 of our stops were in Turkey and Egypt. And all they wanted in the shops too was Euros or US$, not local currency.

Berwyn

LOL, I got exchange rate shock today when I picked up the Euros and am pretty sure I'll remember the exchange isn't one for one. But a glass of wine, a good meal, I could forget:D

I will use the Euros for end of cruise tips and, if necessary, supplement them with U.S. dollars, since I don't anticipate being in Europe again soon.

Thanks for your help.

True abut the exchange shock. But once upon a time, it was the other way around, unless your were in the UK. Its always the same between Canada and the US but lately, the rate has been a lot more in our favor. But that won't stop us from traveling.

Berwyn,

You said, "Just slightly off topic, but 2 of our stops were in Turkey and Egypt. And all they wanted in the shops too was Euros or US$, not local currency."

Where were you in Turkey? We're going to be in Ephesus in July and our tickets will be bought by the tour guide we hired. We were planning on bringing some New Turkish Lira for any souvenirs but if you think we'll be okay with just Euros and USD, then I won't bother with the Liras.

What do you think? Did anyone else have a similar experience?

Thanks!

True abut the exchange shock. But once upon a time, it was the other way around, unless your were in the UK. Its always the same between Canada and the US but lately, the rate has been a lot more in our favor. But that won't stop us from traveling.

If you live long enough and are lucky to travel often enough, I think it all works out in the end. At least that is what I keep telling myself. If I'm wrong, it is a delusion I can live with b/c I'll have lovely memories of the places I've been.:)

Happy cruising.

I would suggest YTLs (new Turkish Lire) in Turkey because they tend to offer £1 = 1 Euro, or $1 = 1 Euro, when infact the actual value is 2 for 1 and they are making money big time! Especially if you plan to take a taxi. But don't worry if you have to use dollars or pounds or even euros, because they will normally be taken, but might be a bit more expensive given that these people will have to change them and get commission. However you are very unlikely to get any change, so prices will be rounded up anyway.

I strongly suggest Euros for cash tips on the boat because, as a previous poster has said, the crew buy things ashore. And of course in Euros, please pay in Euros, because the average northern European does not mentally think dollars, but might accept pounds. Certainly if you are having a pre or post cruise stop in Europe you will need euros for payment in cash or leaving tips.

Berwyn,

You said, "Just slightly off topic, but 2 of our stops were in Turkey and Egypt. And all they wanted in the shops too was Euros or US$, not local currency."

Where were you in Turkey? We're going to be in Ephesus in July and our tickets will be bought by the tour guide we hired. We were planning on bringing some New Turkish Lira for any souvenirs but if you think we'll be okay with just Euros and USD, then I won't bother with the Liras.

What do you think? Did anyone else have a similar experience?

Thanks!

Hi,

Yes we docked in Kusadasi and then did the Ephesus tour.

All the stallholders and hawkers outside the entrance and exit to Ephesus as well as the shops we browsed around in Kusadasi before returning to the ship had prices in Euros.

Even the prices on the stickers on the items in the shops were in euros.

If you paid in Turkish Lira the rate was 2 TL to 1 Euro.

Berwyn

I always tip in Euros or other local currency when in european ports, so that the crew can spend the money ashore without any hassle or extra cost to them.

On the subject of Turkish Lira - when i was in the Grand Bazaar they were quoting prices in Euros for all sorts of things to me and the other passengers that I was with. However I mentioned that I had lira and wanted to know the price in local currency and I can tell you it was a much better price. I've not been a Banker for 30+ years without being able to do quick comparisons on the spot in various currencies! definitley conning on the exchange rate, but to be fair I don't blame them. Rates fluctuate so much and they need to keep it simpler and cover themselves against the risk of sudden fluctuations going againgst them.

We were in Ephesus last year, and depending on the shop it was better to pay in Euros, US$, or Turkish Lira. My husband is the math guy, and can do the exchange rates in his head real fast, and he found that in different stores it was in our best interest to use one currency or another. I hope that made sense. So my advice is to just check on the exchange rates before you get off the ship. But all shops would take any money you have :-)

My favorite was a friend went to buy a Coke in Ephesus, and the guy said 2. He was like 2 what, and the shop owner said 2 of whatever you want, dollars, euros, whatever. And the exchange rate was certainly not 1:1 last year.

Archived