Beach near the pier?

DrmnOfMaui

We had originally planned to do Segways in St. Maarten... but I'm finding out from my research that my 10 year old, 60 lb daughter is too light for the segway! My husband and son may do the tour, but my daughter and I wanted to have some beach time. What are the beaches like near the pier? Aplmac has shown me how to get the water taxi, and where to shop! (Thanks Aplmac!). The pictures you posted looked like the beach was just fine for us to hang out on while the guys did their segway. Am I right? Is there possibly a wave runners right there too? I've read so many posts tonight that the beaches are all blurring together in my head!

Thank you for any info!!:)

We are only 3 weeks away and this is my last day to get planned! We are so excited we can hardly wait.

This photo should adress many of your queries.

SXM-913.jpg

While walking along the beachfront to get to the Water Taxi

I came across these jetskis hauled out

so presumably someone operates a service there.

You can see the cruise ships at the pier in the distance and...

that sure is a glorious beach, complete with chairs and umbrellas!

You may want to also peruse this SXM thread...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1003131

which tells about a possible effluent problem nearby.

However it sounds like, if you stayed at the Eastern end of the beach closest to the ships

you should be alright

Aplmac, you are truly the best!!! I was wondering if you would have a new picture for me! My daughter is so bummed she is too light for "everything"... but I have assured her that it means there is another Caribbean trip in her future. :D

I showed her your shopping pictures again, and she is reinvigorated in the shopping arena. We've got snorkeling and kayaks set up for other islands, and hopefully she can get her speed adventure on the wave runner!

Thanks for posting!!!:)

Kim

3 weeks today we leave!! Woo Hoo!!!!!

This photo should adress many of your queries.

SXM-913.jpg

While walking along the beachfront to get to the Water Taxi

I came across these jetskis hauled out

so presumably someone operates a service there.

You can see the cruise ships at the pier in the distance and...

that sure is a glorious beach, complete with chairs and umbrellas!

You may want to also peruse this SXM thread...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1003131

which tells about a possible effluent problem nearby.

However it sounds like, if you stayed at the Eastern end of the beach closest to the ships

you should be alright

Everytime you post one of your "blue pictures" I start to figure out how to buy that lens and a body and sneak it by DW.

Great Bay Beach is fine as long as you don't go in the water. We have been there at 6 PM waiting for the water taxi as the sun was going down and at that time of day with the sun on the horizon you could see the sheen on the water and it didn't look pleasant.

Everytime you post one of your "blue pictures" I start to figure out how to buy that lens and a body and sneak it by DW.

Great Bay Beach is fine as long as you don't go in the water. We have been there at 6 PM waiting for the water taxi as the sun was going down and at that time of day with the sun on the horizon you could see the sheen on the water and it didn't look pleasant.

I agree about the lens!

About Great Bay Beach... is that the beach in the picture? So it is right by the pier? And do you mean it sort of has an oil slick or something from the boats? Not so great if I can't go in it!

Everytime you post one of your "blue pictures"

I start to figure out how to buy that lens and a body and sneak it by DW.

Does she have a birthday coming up? You'll need to buy her a gift for that.

Anniversary? They come around once a year -she'll be needing a gift.

You don't buy the camera and lens for you...it's for her! ;)

I agree about the lens!

About Great Bay Beach... is that the beach in the picture? So it is right by the pier? And do you mean it sort of has an oil slick or something from the boats? Not so great if I can't go in it!

No, there is not a visible oil slick floating on the water. As previous posts have mentioned, there is a discharge problem involving untreated sewage. Normally nothing visible in the daytime.

The camera was packed away as we waited for the water taxi so I have no picture.

However there is a lot of marine traffic floating around Great Bay between the cruise ships, water taxis and whatever else is floating that day.

No, there is not a visible oil slick floating on the water. As previous posts have mentioned, there is a discharge problem involving untreated sewage. Normally nothing visible in the daytime.

The camera was packed away as we waited for the water taxi so I have no picture.

However there is a lot of marine traffic floating around Great Bay between the cruise ships, water taxis and whatever else is floating that day.

Thanks for the info! I had missed the part about untreated sewage! We have that issue near us occasionally when there is a spill, but I had not seen this regarding this area. Do you have a suggestion for a close, easy to get to beach that we can just hang out at? I will peruse the boards again as well to see what I can come up with. I thought I had this port planned until the weight issue (lack of it!;)) caught up with me!

Kim

I find it somewhat disturbing that when I search Philipsburg and beaches that Great Bay comes recommended on numerous sites for families and a nice day at the beach for swimming. I could not find much on the sewage issue other than what was posted here. Doesn't seem to be anyone really getting sick, but it is still yucky!

Two regulars on this board, Kal and GThomas, each take 3 week vacations every year on the island so when they speak it is with lots of first hand experience of the island. It pays to listen.

Orient is a 20-25 minute cab ride away, from the pier. This is no more time then if you walk from the pier to Phillipsburg and the beach is superb. Or Little Divi, a shorter ride away

The links discussing the pollution in Great Bay are 2-3 years old. Has anyone been there recently? Is it still a problem? I can't imagine that it has been going on for years and yet it is still such a popular spot.

Thanks!

The links discussing the pollution in Great Bay are 2-3 years old. ===> Surprise surprise! :)

Has anyone been there recently? Is it still a problem?

I can't imagine that it has been going on for years and yet it is still such a popular spot.

That's what I was thinking! ;)

If you have Google EARTH the satellite-imagery viewing program on your computer

fire it up and go take a look at St.Maarten...the South side of the island.

This is the Dutch side.

Zoom in close on the Great Bay area.

Make your way towards the Western extreme of the beach

where you'll see the beach sand has built up to block what looks like the outfall coming from inland.

I can't see where any effluent comes out into the bay, but that doesn't mean it's not there!

Somehow we expect these islands to be absolutely pristine

despite the fact there's maybe thirty thousand humans on the island

with five-to-ten thousand more arriving each day via oil-burning cruise ships.

Isn't that a bit unrealistic? :confused:

Archived