Just returned - Baltics 6/15/09 Emerald Princess - great time, here's my review

Embracedbylife

Arrival to Copenhagen - Hilton Airport Hotel:

We arrived a day early via continental airlines direct from Newark to Copenhagen. Great flight, arriving early in the morning on Sunday. Checked into the hotel by 8am and were happy to get a room so early in the morning! The HiltonAirport hotel is literally a walk through a corridor from the main terminal. Great room! We couldn't hear the planes at all. There is a very convenient train station from the airport terminal area to downtown Copenhagen. We slept till 1pm and then hit the train to downtown, purchasing the 24 hour ticket for the train from the ticket counter. Validated our tickets at the track and did a dry run to the Freeport pier via the train. We took the main train from the Airport to Osterport station and then transferred at Osterport to Track #5 where we took another train to Nordhaven station. When you come out of Nordhaven station you head right and then make another right walking under the tracks, go across the highway, turn left and the pier is on the next right. After this we headed back to Norreport station to start our walking tour at Tivoli. My favorite area to tour was Nyhaven. We took a boat tour from here and enjoyed it! The ride back on the train to the hotel took less than 20 minutes.

Embarkation:

We slept in on Monday, checked out by 12pm and took the train to Nordhaven station. We had only carry-on luggage so it was easy to walk to the pier. Arriving at the pier at approximately 1pm there was a line for check-in / security which went very quickly. We were on the ship within 20 minutes. The check-in process was easy and efficient!

The Ship:

The Emerald is such a great ship! We previously sailed on the Star and the Diamond. The Emerald met all expectations, and we enjoyed it so much, mostly because of MUTS (movies under the stars) and a few other features like the International Café and the Pizza parlor area. I do understand the Star may now have MUTS though! The Emerald has so many wonderful areas to sit and relax. Although there is no enclosed pool, the Sanctuary area seems great. Horizon court and Caribe Café were great places to grab good food whenever you wished. I also enjoyed the hotdog/burger stand and the pizza. Another great feature is complimentary Ice Cream offered beside the pizza stand.

The other Passengers and mealtimes:

This was the first cruise were I experienced rude and disorganized passengers. The first two days were so bad that I was concerned that I may never take a cruise again. The passengers were pushing us, running into us, stopping in front of us, and racing for the buffet like they have never eaten before. Either it was a large group of new cruisers or a full moon. By the third day we decided to give up eating breakfast at the buffet and have it at the dining room. This was the best decision! We also started eating dinner at the dining room early around 6pm. No lines, no crowds, great food and good service! Also purchased the $24 coffee card. Used only half the card but was worth it even for that! I understand we might be able to use the other half on our next cruise. The speciality coffees are so good you'd pay at least $3 each anywhere else. You can also get a large for only one punch!

Emerald Staff and Favorite Emerald Public Areas:

Some of the staff were so outstanding we filled in nomination cards for employee of the month. One such person was a server/wait person at the pool that offers movies under the stars. His name is Erik from Mexico. Very friendly, loved his job, and made it such a fun place to be! You’ll enjoy being served by him late at night while watching the movies. He offers popcorn, cookies and milk, pizza, etc. Great server, great times watching those movies at night under the blankets! Other areas that are nice to hang out in are the sushi bar across from the international café and the Adajio bar across from Sabitini’s.

Entertainment:

The best show was the comedian show. The other shows were just ok. Although some passengers seemed to love the shows, I found them less fun than MUTS. It’s all dependent on your taste. But I just loved hanging out people watching with a nice drink J there’s more than enough to do even if you don’t go to the shows.

Ports of call:

Stockholm 10am arrival. The buffets were packed with people (this was only day 2 so we had faced the hords of people I talked about earlier). Off the ship by 10:15am. Taxi’s are very costly (min. $40 each way). We opted for the Shuttle bus which cost $11 return. You pay cash on the bus. We did wait a while for the shuttles to come, but it had us downtown within 20 minutes. The bus left at 11am and we arrived downtown by 11:20am. There is just so much to see in Stockholm, and so little time, but it’s such a beautiful city!! We walked the streets near the castle and town square and then took a ferry over to VasaMuseum. Went back to castle area and then walked down to city hall –very nice views at city hall!! By 3:15 we headed back to the shuttle (last shuttle at 4pm). There were long lines for the shuttle but we were on a bus by 4pm and at the pier by 4:20pm in time for some last minute shopping at the pier! Nice souvenirs at the pier!

Helsinki– this was the first day we tried the dining room as we had enough of the crowds at the buffet in the morning. Went for breakfast at 8:40am (dining room closes at 9am). Off ship by 10am and got in line for the shuttle which was to start at 10:30am. Shuttle was efficient and dropped us off close to downtown! Walked to the rock church and then downtown. The Uspensky Cathedral was beautiful! Went back to the ship early and had a nice dinner at the dining room that night.

St. Petersburg we opted for a private tour with Anastasia tours. Our tour was to start at 10am. The ship arrived at 5am and people were up at 4am to have breakfast in the buffet. We slept in and had breakfast at 8:30am. Those with 8am tours were still in line for immigration at 9:30am. We were some of the last passengers off the ship. Got in line by 9:45 am and met the tour guide on the other side of immigration by 10:20am. Our private guide took us to Peterhoff, then took a hydrofoil boat ride to the downtown area. Our driver met us and we went to St. Isaacs Cathedral, Savior of the Spilt Blood, Nvesky Prospect and Kazan Kathedral. Back onboard by 6pm and had a nice early dinner by 6:30pm. Day 2 went to Hermitage then back to ship by 3pm.

Tallin – my favorite port!! So little time though since the ship arrived at 7am but we waited for the crowds to get off the ship before having breakfast in the dining room at 7:30am. We were off the ship by 9am, and walked downtown (aprox. 30 mins walk). Gorgeous city! The shopping at the pier is the best shopping! Great deals and great hand made items!

Gdansk – purchased “Gdansk on your own” tour from princess. Bus dropped us off by 10:40am and took us back around 3:30pm. Nice town, but not as pretty as Tallin. Nice relaxing day, and enjoyed our time.

Oslo – great city! We disembarked early with prior permission from princess. We stayed at Thon Opera hotel. Dropped off our bags then walked back to see the ship at the pier and saw the fortress at the pier. The ship docks at an ideal location! Walked around the pier, saw the many beautiful shops and then took the tram to the statues! What a great time!

Overall:

Loved the ship, love princess and will definitely sail again!! Wished we were only in St. Petersburg for 1 day and had more time in Stockholm, Tallin and Oslo. We thank all the staff on the Emerald for such a great time!

Ports of call:

Stockholm 10am arrival. Off the ship by 10:15am. Taxi’s are very costly (min. $40 each way). We opted for the Shuttle bus which cost $11 return. You pay cash on the bus. We did wait a while for the shuttles to come, but it had us downtown within 20 minutes. The bus left at 11am and we arrived downtown by 11:20am. There is just so much to see in Stockholm, and so little time, but it’s such a beautiful city!! We walked the streets near the castle and town square and then took a ferry over to VasaMuseum. Went back to castle area and then walked down to city hall –very nice views at city hall!! By 3:15 we headed back to the shuttle (last shuttle at 4pm). There were long lines for the shuttle but we were on a bus by 4pm and at the pier by 4:20pm in time for some last minute shopping at the pier! Nice souvenirs at the pier!

Who sponsored the shuttle. Is this part of the Stockholm mass transit system? Also, you said you had to pay in cash. Did you obtain Swedish Krona prior to your trip or get it on board?

HelsinkiOff ship by 10am and got in line for the shuttle which was to start at 10:30am. Shuttle was efficient and dropped us off close to downtown! Walked to the rock church and then downtown. The Uspensky Cathedral was beautiful! Went back to the ship early and had a nice dinner at the dining room that night.

How did you pay for this shuttle? Also, the suppose the same questions I asked about the Stockholm shuttle (who's shuttle and currency).

Gdanskpurchased “Gdansk on your own” tour from princess. Bus dropped us off by 10:40am and took us back around 3:30pm. Nice town, but not as pretty as Tallin. Nice relaxing day, and enjoyed our time.

How long was the bus ride each way?

Thanks for your review and for answering our questions.

On her blog, where2next (aka Karen I believe) mentioned that on the return trip to the ship when you book the "Gdansk On Your Own" excursion there is a stop at the Solidarity Monument. Is this still true? And if so, how long was the stop?

Thanks,

Hi everyone, hope to answer some of your questions:

Mike:

Stockholm shuttle - Q'n Who sponsored the shuttle. Is this part of the Stockholm mass transit system? Also, you said you had to pay in cash. Did you obtain Swedish Krona prior to your trip or get it on board?

The shuttle was provided by Princess but you paid the driver. We paid in US dollars. They accept either Euro or US dollars for the shuttles (likely because the port of Stockholm accepts Euros at most stores). We paid in US dollars $22 return for 2 of us. It is my understanding that by purchasing the shuttle through a princess sponsored bus they should wait for you to get back to the ship so long as you are in line for the bus no later than 4pm. We arrived at the bus area at 3:40pm and there was a hugh line, but we got on the bus without any problems. Just dont' wait until 4pm - although it was a very close call getting back on time we did! I would think they would have waited for us if the bus was late. If you are on a public bus or traveling via taxi however they would not wait for you. The people collecting our money had princess logo shirts but they lived in Stockholm.

Helsinki Shuttle Q'n How did you pay for this shuttle? Also, the suppose the same questions I asked about the Stockholm shuttle (who's shuttle and currency).

We paid in US dollars again. $10 return, so paid $20 USD for 2 of us return. Worth it...too far to walk in my opinion. We saved our walking for when we got downtown! Shuttle organized through princess. They just keep going every 20 mins so we were able to return easly early at 3pm or so. Just get them to mark on the map where they are dropping you off so you can find your way back. They provided us with maps as we got on/off the bus!

Gdansk Q'n How long was the bus ride each way?

There is NO Shuttle for Gdansk so you much either find your own way or purchase "Gdansk on your own" shore excursion (cost about $34 each). Met in princess theatre at 9:45 am and left at 10am on time. Arrived in Gdansk by 10:50am. Bus left at 3:30pm and didn't get back to the ship until 4:50pm - traffic on the way back. So given the traffic i'm glad we didn't find our own way back or we'd have been to late to catch the ship! As far as stopping at Solidarity Monument - no we didn't, likely becuase there was no time to. It's really just a bus ride to/from Gdansk and they give you a map onboard and a little narrative as you drive to Gdasnk and back.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the great review. We are on the July 15 sailing. I particularly liked your tip about eating in the dining room.

Could you tell me more exactly where the ship's pier is in Oslo? I gather it's near the Akershus fortress? Did you notice which bus or tram line is most convenient to the pier to go directly to Vigelands Park? Thanks.

Archived