"Class War" component to Carnival-hating RCI folk?

mikeerdas

the space ratio does matter, it drives up the cost of the ship and the amount of revenue that it will take to pay for the ship. And you mention the Promenade being full at parade time. Most RCIers probably will trade the general space provided in all public areas to those provided by Carnival, take the Carnival ships that have the stadium type pool and the small adult pool/hot tub areas compared to RCI's pools and adult areas. Carnival puts a good part of its space ratio in the cabins thus the public areas do not compare favorable to the RCI ones IN GENERAL. But makes for nice cabins.

And for the folks who say why does anyone care about one line vs the other.

Two reasons come to mind

1) the ship is their destination vs the itinarary

2) they look foward to repeat cruising to get some benefits.

Just some thoughts, I like all the differences and enjoy any trip I take.

Well I'm Diamond on RCL and Platinum on CCL. The space ratio doesn't matter to me. The itinerary does. At peak times both lines are crowded in the buffets. We avoid those times. And forget the ice shows.

Only LARGE difference in the 2 lines is their older ships. On CCL, the old ships are just early versions on the large ships. On RCL, the old ships are ridiculous in their cabin sizes. Like sleeping in a SMALL closet.

I've been on one NCL cruise (loved it) and two RCI cruises (loved those as well, but a little too formal for my tastes). I've yet to try Carnival, but am hoping to try one of their newer ships in 2010.

The chief difference between both mass market lines seems to be in ship decor--with Carnival ships being described in the RCI forums frequently as "Vegas-style abominations." I cruise predominantly for great itineraries and adventure at the ports; not for the "correctness" of the art in the hallways, etc.

Anyway, I'm wondering if the Carnival hater thing is in fact as Class thing. Here's the post. Please read it before commenting here. Or better yet, comment over on the original thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=20153861#post20153861

Thanks.

Mike

IMHO, it's people with too much free time on their hands and a computer to hide behind.:)

It's crazy, if you think about it, the way brand loyalty has run amok over the last decade or so. It's gone from "That cruiseline looks like fun." to "I'm an active, cool dude because I pick The Fun Ship or the cruiseline that has a rockwall and uses Iggy Pop." People are identifying themselves less and less with what they believe and more and more with what they buy.

**Tosses K a Landshark.

Your liver needs a kick start.

Ahhhh thanks!

On a natural high then? ;)

LOL! Sometimes I crack myself up:p

Well now that this thread is waaaay of course.......time to grab a cold one and hang by the pool.....

Sorry op:o

I just don't know why anyone cares!

I don't care that RCI loyalists seem to think they need to denigrate Carnival to justify paying more for a similar product.

I don't care that Carnival loyalists get so worked up about what anyone thinks of their favorite cruiseline!

Hey, I'm proud to say that I shop at Wal-Mart! If someone else wants to pay more for an identical item elsewhere just so they can look down their noses at someone else, that's their problem, not mine!

I cruise to get to islands. The ship isn't that important for me. So why should I pay more for a "pretty" ship that has activties (ice skating, rock climbing) that are of zero interest to me?

Class? Character?

BS!

But, again, I don't know why people insist on debating this subject. Just part of the "nosieness" of online communities, I guess.

What my neighbor does and why she does it is of no interest to me. What she spends on things is of no interest to me. Where she shops is of no interest to me and what she does for vacation is of no interest to me!

It doesn't impact MY life, so why should I care?

People need to stop being so freaking nosey about other people. These "discussions" would be moot.

Perfectly put.......

Kudos...

Bill

[B][COLOR="Red"]I have been told by more than one person[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Black"][B]"how in the world could like going to Disneyland more than taking a cruise"[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR="red"][B]My responce is [/B][/COLOR]

[B][COLOR="black"]"Why in the world does it matter to you"
[/COLOR][/B]

The root cause, of the seeming difference is RCCL's self-image as an upscale cruise line. Corporate has long wanted to seem to be an upscale line that also caters to mass-market cruisers. But then, RCCL is run by MBA types and that explains a lot.

The typical MBA can take a formula, plug in a bunch of numbers, and read the result. He/she/it cannot determine if the correct formula was used, if the date inputted was good, nor if the result makes any sense. That is because they have not been trained to think; they have been trained to manage (whatever that is).

CCL, indeed all of Carnival Corp, has a clear idea of what it is. That is because the company is run by people who can think.

I do believe the difference in management styles is as much responsible for this seeming feud as anything.

I would rather give my money to a very successful company rather than one that is always struggling to keep its head above water. Perhaps that is why we cruise Carnival.

Doc

[quote name='DocF'].

I would rather give my money to a very successful company rather than one that is always struggling to keep its head above water. Perhaps that is why we cruise Carnival.

Doc[/quote]

I spend my money on what makes [I]me [/I]happy........and this time around I picked RCCL...........last time it was Carnival.........next time it will probably be NCL..........

[quote name='Kurbanfan']I spend my money on what makes [I]me [/I]happy........and this time around I picked RCCL...........last time it was Carnival.........next time it will probably be NCL..........[/quote]

I'm with you babe! :)

[quote name='DocF']The root cause, of the seeming difference is RCCL's self-image as an upscale cruise line. Corporate has long wanted to seem to be an upscale line that also caters to mass-market cruisers. But then, RCCL is run by MBA types and that explains a lot.

The typical MBA can take a formula, plug in a bunch of numbers, and read the result. He/she/it cannot determine if the correct formula was used, if the date inputted was good, nor if the result makes any sense. That is because they have not been trained to think; they have been trained to manage (whatever that is).

[/quote]

I think it's a rather large assumption that there are no MBA types in Carnival's corporate offices. Management styles may differ, but I can guarantee you it has more to do with finding and holding onto a successful market sector than it does the education of the people running the joint. And yes, I am aware that the sainted Mickey Arison didn't finish college. But look at the rest of that board of directors and try to tell me there isn't an advanced degree among that bunch.

[quote name='yst347']These silly rivalries between cruise line passengers make me laugh. Why some people feel it necessary to run down others to puff-up their self-esteem is beyond me. I don't see it as a "class" thing but as a "no-class" thing.[/quote]

well said!!

I could care less about RC cruisers and don't understand why they like to trash talk Carnival:rolleyes:

All i care about is being on a ship!:)

[quote name='caribbean dreams']well said!!

I could care less about RC cruisers and don't understand why they like to trash talk Carnival:rolleyes:

All i care about is being on a ship!:)[/quote]

It's very, very common in large corporate settings that operate in a close market to trash talk your opponents. Goldman cheered when Lehman went down. UBS sneers at Credit Suisse. JP Morgan hates American Express. Carnival and Royal Caribbean aren't all that different. Sometimes the rah-rah-corporate-cheerleader BS spills out to the customers. I've heard Carnival personnel trash NCL. We've all heard the stories of RCL employees talking smack about Carnival. Some people buy into it and take on the corporate identity as a part of their own, the same they would do with their corporate identity. Others simply don't. And then there are the cynics who sneer at the "Kool Aid Drinkers" and look at the whole thing with a rather jaundiced eye.

[quote name='mikeerdas']I've been on one NCL cruise (loved it) and two RCI cruises (loved those as well, but a little too formal for my tastes). I've yet to try Carnival, but am hoping to try one of their newer ships in 2010.

The chief difference between both mass market lines seems to be in ship decor--with Carnival ships being described in the RCI forums frequently as "Vegas-style abominations." I cruise predominantly for great itineraries and adventure at the ports; not for the "correctness" of the art in the hallways, etc.

Anyway, I'm wondering if the Carnival hater thing is in fact as Class thing. Here's the post. Please read it before commenting here. Or better yet, comment over on the original thread:

[URL]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=20153861#post20153861[/URL]

Thanks.

Mike[/quote]

It's only a "class thing" in the minds of the person who says it is. Those who make the most noise have never cruised with Carnival or haven't for many, many years.

RCCL and Carnival have been intense rivals since the mid-1970's. Each has a very similar cruise experience, attracting the same demographics, marketing to the same people. It's been a tug-of-war for 25 years...or so.

RCCL's ships are more conservative in decorating and decor; Carnival is now and always has been over-the-top. Joe Farcus, their designer, has been with them for many, many years and is a genius! That's the only difference between the two cruise lines.....esthetically speaking.

Those who love RCCL - the "champions" and loyalists, love that cruise line and will bash Carnival forever.... Those who love Carnival and are the loyalists will do the same.... It's simply a case of "mines better than yours"......

There might be some differences in amenities (rock climbing on RCCL, incredible water slides and water parks on Carnival, etc.)..differences in food (RCCL has a lot of "for-fee" venues for dining, Carnival doesn't), differences in entertainment, etc., but each has it's own niche.

I love Carnival and always have since my first cruise with them on the Mardi Gras back in the '70's.....I've recently completed my 64th on that line. I was a much better looking and a lot younger then...in my mid-30's. Now that I'm approaching geezerhood, I still love their ships and the cruise experience. However, with over 250 cruises under my belt, I've been on most cruise ships currently around and many that are defunct. Among my very first cruises was on the NCL Southward........

What's important is that you find out what you are comfortable with, where the fun is for you......and go. There really isn't a "bad cruise" if you stay with the majors and leave the rust-buckets alone.

What I find so funny is why people who seems to have lots of money need to show it or think that anyone cares how they spend it. While I don't care what anyone makes, I don't care to let anyone know what I make. I would have to think that Wealthy(what I would consider) would actually be looking to cruise on something better both Carnival or RCI. Not meaning it as a slap to either cruise lines but there are far better and far more expensive cruise lines out there.

While I have never taken a RCI cruise it isn't cause I don't think I would like it is just that to me I find better deals on Carnival. The better deals and ports closer to my home allows me to take more cruises. I am sure one day I will take an RCI cruise and I am sure I will enjoy it just as much as I enjoy my Carnival Cruises.

Not sure if I answered your question but to me someone being wealthy has nothing to do with if they sail on Carnival or RCI.

Archived