"Class War" component to Carnival-hating RCI folk?

mikeerdas

I've been on one NCL cruise (loved it) and two RCI cruises (loved those as well, but a little too formal for my tastes). I've yet to try Carnival, but am hoping to try one of their newer ships in 2010.

The chief difference between both mass market lines seems to be in ship decor--with Carnival ships being described in the RCI forums frequently as "Vegas-style abominations." I cruise predominantly for great itineraries and adventure at the ports; not for the "correctness" of the art in the hallways, etc.

Anyway, I'm wondering if the Carnival hater thing is in fact as Class thing. Here's the post. Please read it before commenting here. Or better yet, comment over on the original thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=20153861#post20153861

Thanks.

Mike

I think the rivalry was really created by the companies themselves. From the time that they both fought over Princess lines, and probably before that.

The "class" difference, I think stems more from Carnival's past, than what it is today. The lines are really more alike, but if you look at their worldwide itineraries, Carnival seems to focus on the Caribbean, and goes after more mid-westerners with departures from Texas and Lousiana. RCL tends to attract more East-Coast/West-Coast people, with a full range of itineraries in Europe, the Mid-East and Asia.

The two main differences I see (which may account for a slight difference in passenger mix)

1) The ships themselves. RCI does seem to spend more on the ship and have better space ratios than Carnival. There is a difference in the decorating. Does it matter? If it does make you pick one line over the other, then that would skew the passenger mix. Bottom line is that they are different, probably not better or worse.

2) Alcohol policies. RCI allows no wine or liquor to be carried on and no corkage fee in the dining rooms. RCI does have fairly strict enforcement. Carnival is more relaxed. Many repeat RCI cruisers claim this makes for more family oriented environment. Again maybe that causes a slight skew in the passenger mix.

My two cents, the differences are very slight but they do exist. Do your research on the ship ( I think the actually ship is as important as the cruiseline) that you are thinking about and set your expectations accordingly. Avoid judging others and you'll be a happy cruzer.

I just don't know why anyone cares!

I don't care that RCI loyalists seem to think they need to denigrate Carnival to justify paying more for a similar product.

I don't care that Carnival loyalists get so worked up about what anyone thinks of their favorite cruiseline!

Hey, I'm proud to say that I shop at Wal-Mart! If someone else wants to pay more for an identical item elsewhere just so they can look down their noses at someone else, that's their problem, not mine!

I cruise to get to islands. The ship isn't that important for me. So why should I pay more for a "pretty" ship that has activties (ice skating, rock climbing) that are of zero interest to me?

Class? Character?

BS!

But, again, I don't know why people insist on debating this subject. Just part of the "nosieness" of online communities, I guess.

What my neighbor does and why she does it is of no interest to me. What she spends on things is of no interest to me. Where she shops is of no interest to me and what she does for vacation is of no interest to me!

It doesn't impact MY life, so why should I care?

People need to stop being so freaking nosey about other people. These "discussions" would be moot.

I just don't know why anyone cares!

I don't care that RCI loyalists seem to think they need to denigrate Carnival to justify paying more for a similar product.

I don't care that Carnival loyalists get so worked up about what anyone thinks of their favorite cruiseline!

Hey, I'm proud to say that I shop at Wal-Mart! If someone else wants to pay more for an identical item elsewhere just so they can look down their noses at someone else, that's their problem, not mine!

I cruise to get to islands. The ship isn't that important for me. So why should I pay more for a "pretty" ship that has activties (ice skating, rock climbing) that are of zero interest to me?

Class? Character?

BS!

But, again, I don't know why people insist on debating this subject. Just part of the "nosieness" of online communities, I guess.

What my neighbor does and why she does it is of no interest to me. What she spends on things is of no interest to me. Where she shops is of no interest to me and what she does for vacation is of no interest to me!

It doesn't impact MY life, so why should I care?

People need to stop being so freaking nosey about other people. These "discussions" would be moot.

Well said!

These silly rivalries between cruise line passengers make me laugh. Why some people feel it necessary to run down others to puff-up their self-esteem is beyond me. I don't see it as a "class" thing but as a "no-class" thing.

There will always be people that have to flaunt that what they have is better than others, or their cruise line is better .

And there will always be those that in order to do that , have to down what other people have or like.

These are the people that have to drop names , or let you know how much they paid for something.

Kind of sad.

Makes you wonder what is missing in their lives , that this silly stuff needs to take its place.

These silly rivalries between cruise line passengers make me laugh. Why some people feel it necessary to run down others to puff-up their self-esteem is beyond me. I don't see it as a "class" thing but as a "no-class" thing.

I agree!!

The two main differences I see (which may account for a slight difference in passenger mix)

1) The ships themselves. RCI does seem to spend more on the ship and have better space ratios than Carnival. There is a difference in the decorating. Does it matter? If it does make you pick one line over the other, then that would skew the passenger mix. Bottom line is that they are different, probably not better or worse.

2) Alcohol policies. RCI allows no wine or liquor to be carried on and no corkage fee in the dining rooms. RCI does have fairly strict enforcement. Carnival is more relaxed. Many repeat RCI cruisers claim this makes for more family oriented environment. Again maybe that causes a slight skew in the passenger mix.

My two cents, the differences are very slight but they do exist. Do your research on the ship ( I think the actually ship is as important as the cruiseline) that you are thinking about and set your expectations accordingly. Avoid judging others and you'll be a happy cruzer.

"and have better space ratios than Carnival".

You are right, RCLers often cite the space ratio on RCL over CCL. But what it means is silly. A 44 ratio over a 36 ratio sounds like something, but it means that one ship has 4400 CUBIC FEET of space per pax and the other has 3600 CUBIC FEET of space each. Since a passenger is less than 25 cubic feet of space, it hardly matters. Just the empty space above the Voyager class Royal Promenade, more than makes up the difference. On the Promenade itself during the parade pax are jammed in belly to belly and shoulder to shoulder. But if you figure in the emptiness above, each has plenty of space,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NOT!

It is no different than the class snobs on the Carnival board. Those that only book cat 12's, cost is no object vs those that cost is important and make huge sacrifices to go cruising and can only afford 1As. Go figure, none of it makes any sense.

It is no different than the class snobs on the Carnival board. Those that only book cat 12's, cost is no object vs those that cost is important and make huge sacrifices to go cruising and can only afford 1As. Go figure, none of it makes any sense.

I don't see the correlation.

The quoted post is about a guy who is upset about folks who tip the porters anyway at Port Canaveral despite a sign saying they dont need to and some rich folks the OP once sat with and still resents ....

Sounds like a guy with a problem, trying to justify it as all people who are diamond (only 10 cruises) or diamond plus maybe they are all rich.

Stupid post, as anyone can cruise 10 times, its doesnt take decades or being super rich.

There is a rivalry on the boards, but that post to me is just someone with "issues" himself.

Having cruised the three mass-market lines, CCL, RCL and NCL I have long used the Coke (CCL) Pepsi (RCL) and 7-Up (NCL) metaphor to describe the differences. The three lines like the three softdrinks have loyal vociferous followings. What seperates the three has more to do with marketing than the products themselves.

The issue of "class warfare" is really such a stupid thing. It is just someones need to feel self important. We are each just one out of 8 billion (or however many people) there are on this earth. Outside of our individual circle of family, friends and associates, the other 7,999,999,900 people don't know us, will never meet us and don't give a rat's *** about us, what we may possess, how much money we make and what cruise line we sail on.

Having cruised the three mass-market lines, CCL, RCL and NCL I have long used the Coke (CCL) Pepsi (RCL) and 7-Up (NCL) metaphor to describe the differences. The three lines like the three softdrinks have loyal vociferous followings. What seperates the three has more to do with marketing than the products themselves.

Can Carnival be Pepsi? I don't like Coke.

I do agree with your statement though.

I just got off the Pride on Friday.................we've been on 8 RC cruises and one CCL.

We didn't love the ship....I thought it was too squashed and too dark. But that's just me. The food was OK but 4 of 6 dinners were cold and/or overcooked and dried out.

However, the pizza was better than RCI...and (horrors:rolleyes::D) I kind of LIKED being able to wear shorts in the DR (not sccuzzy ones....However, I could have done WITHOUT the 6 guys in jeans full of holes on formal night...whatever.)

Service wise, well.....seems we got the short end of the stick. BUT the dozen or so crew members that were nice and helpful were VERY much appreciated!

My mom uses a wheelchair and IMO the ship was hard to get around. The cabin corridors are WAY too narrow and twisty.

BUT, the pax were MUCH nicer overall! Not saying anything about class or whatever as we are certainly NOT Upper class!;) People always got out of the way and held the elevator for us..............generally they were super nice.

So.....I was also advised by another CCL frequent cruiser to try a bigger, newer ship (or to just stay away from the spirit class in general.)

I don't need rock walls or an aqua theater to make me happy (frankly I am surprised that the behemoth of the seas actually FLOATS!:D)

That said, I haven't completely written off carnival.....and I am gald we tried it....heck, i only had a 3 hour drive................a pretty easy time getting on the ship and the alternative was being home!

Each line is different....and at this point, I just want to go SOMEPLACE!

I think that this, well, bickering-for lack of a better term, has really started to detract for the overall purpose of these types of message boards......there is too much doo doo to wade through in order to get the info you need!

Frankly I don't care if you cruise in the presedential suite and have a $3000 bar tab! I am more concerned with having fun and people being considerate of each other!

BTW I thank the peeps over here who gave me pointers before our cruise!

I have never noticed you using that analogy, but it's perfect.

LOL to funny, I ask who is paying the bills :confused::confused:. My husband and I were just talking about why I haven't done the leap to book on one of RCI bigger cruise ships. It due to the cost and plus we would never use 90% of whats on their ships... Why spend $400 more for a balcony for the same itinerary. When I can spend that money on the islands them selves..

I have been on two RCI cruise and enjoyed them... but I do enjoy Carnival just as much if not more... As for the decor, that doesn't matter to me as much.

There will always be snobs out there. Most of the time when you really figure our were they got it, most snobs didn't earn the money them selves. I have met and known a few people that had more money then god and yet you would never know it...

As far as I'm concerned its you vacation. I have never been asked weather my jewerly was real gold. So why should some ask me "why are you sailing Carnival versas Royal Caribbean?" They shouldn't.. Unless someone else is going to pay for my vacation.. Then I'm going to cruise what ever line I choose...:D

"and have better space ratios than Carnival".

You are right, RCLers often cite the space ratio on RCL over CCL. But what it means is silly. A 44 ratio over a 36 ratio sounds like something, but it means that one ship has 4400 CUBIC FEET of space per pax and the other has 3600 CUBIC FEET of space each. Since a passenger is less than 25 cubic feet of space, it hardly matters. Just the empty space above the Voyager class Royal Promenade, more than makes up the difference. On the Promenade itself during the parade pax are jammed in belly to belly and shoulder to shoulder. But if you figure in the emptiness above, each has plenty of space,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NOT!

the space ratio does matter, it drives up the cost of the ship and the amount of revenue that it will take to pay for the ship. And you mention the Promenade being full at parade time. Most RCIers probably will trade the general space provided in all public areas to those provided by Carnival, take the Carnival ships that have the stadium type pool and the small adult pool/hot tub areas compared to RCI's pools and adult areas. Carnival puts a good part of its space ratio in the cabins thus the public areas do not compare favorable to the RCI ones IN GENERAL. But makes for nice cabins.

And for the folks who say why does anyone care about one line vs the other.

Two reasons come to mind

1) the ship is their destination vs the itinarary

2) they look foward to repeat cruising to get some benefits.

Just some thoughts, I like all the differences and enjoy any trip I take.

Archived