anyone else sewing for their cruise ?

Cozzette2

There is a website called PatternReview that has alot of sewing information. There is also "pattern review" and pictures of some stunning clothes. I think someday I would like to sew again - for the creativity and just gorgeous fabric. I am a quilter and am qualified for "fabriholics anonymous"!!!:)

There is a website called PatternReview that has alot of sewing information. There is also "pattern review" and pictures of some stunning clothes. I think someday I would like to sew again - for the creativity and just gorgeous fabric. I am a quilter and am qualified for "fabriholics anonymous"!!!:)

Do you mean this website? http://sewing.patternreview.com/

It looks dangerous...very dangerous..:eek::rolleyes:

I used to sew alot, but this next cruise I will be applying only my most basic sewing skill set. I need to take in most of my clothes that I plan to wear. Hubby said don't waste the time, but I really like some of the outfits. So, it may be time consuming, but I'm going to drag out the sewing machine and get to work.

I used to sew alot, but this next cruise I will be applying only my most basic sewing skill set. I need to take in most of my clothes that I plan to wear. Hubby said don't waste the time, but I really like some of the outfits. So, it may be time consuming, but I'm going to drag out the sewing machine and get to work.

But wait! Does Hubby mean don't waste the time and go out and buy yourself new outfits? Hmmmm... just food for thought. ;)

I really feel blessed that I learned to sew. I am one of those fabricoholics that could spend hours just touching all the great fabrics in the fabric store.

On my last cruise I was going to make a very basic jacket, no buttons or collar. I found a sale on oriental satin prints and couldn't just narrow it down to one, so I ended up with two jackets. They cost about $8 each and they are colors that I love and never would have found anywhere, they are unique. When I get my den back [ daughter is back home for a while] I would like to start quilting, now that is an art.

I am not a seamstress. However, I do wish I were. So much so, that I have had my 16 year old daughter taking classes at the Community College for several years now. She quilts and tailors. She just finished a wool coat for herself. Several people pay her to do simple tailoring jobs (hemming, taking in) Everything she's entered in the local fair has taken 1st place!

Her sister (also 16) and I were enrolled for the summer class so that we could make our formals for our upcoming cruise, but due to budget cuts, the class was canceled. My daughter, the seamstress, will still make some of her evening wear. But without the assistance of a teacher, I can't take on formal wear.

Kudos to all of you for keeping up the art. Please make sure to grab your kids and grandkids and pass it along.

This is such a refeshing topic! Someone mentioned a jacket and I'd forgotten that I have a fabulous bolero (sorta) jacket in the back of my closet. Since losing weight I'm rediscovering clothes I haven't worn for years. That jacket makes me want to drag out the pattern (I mean, really, who ever throws away a good pattern?) and head for Hancock.

I am such a fabricaholic that at work for boss's day every year they give me a gift card to Hancocks! Think I still have some $ left on my last one - and it is that big July 4th sale this w/e.

When I am really stressed and need to detach, I go to Hancock's and just roam around toucing the fabric and letting my mind run wild. Ya'll know what I'm talking about.

We don't have a Joanne's so I have to drive an hour to get to one, but it's really a treat (aka financial disaster) when I make the pilgrimage. We do have a Hobby Lobby that has some cut things too, particularly seasonal prints for bags and kiddos jumpers.

There is a great website, which I've not been to in a good while so I don't remember the name, except is www.sew (something).com It is so funny. She has a confessional area where you can put in all the stupid mistakes you've made and it's funny to read. Nice to know other people have done some of the same idiotic things I have.

I also make a lot of liturgical items - altar items and priests vestments. It's really rewarding and so cool when people say "you made that!!!" and you get to grin and say "yup, I did".

I am not just counting the days to my cruise I am counting the days off work when I will have time to sew. I have made a jumpsuit for myself and a formal dress for my daughter this week. I love sewing and get lots of enjoyment out of it still have my formal dress and my other daughters dress to make, mum in laws dress to alter and father in laws tux to alter.

I have a great tool for applying crystals called a Kandi kane so every thing can be blinged up. I have found a great fabric supplier in the uk yes I am a bit of a pro!!!!! in the past I have worked on many stage productions but now do soft furnishings.

I love to sew. I am losing the time for it. I have three bins full of gourgeous fabric that is frankly not going to be turned into anything. I have an embroidery machine that I created beautiful things with that is going to mom as a retirement present, because she still sews everyday.

Yesterday, I got a dress int he mail I ordered. I knew I would have to have the hem addressed. I took it to the alteration shop where they marked it and quoted a timeframe for it to be finished. I took them up on it, even though it was a simple hem of dress and one for the liner.

It buys me time to finish shopping and pack before next week starts!

You go, OP, and sew those dresses, and when you are done, enjoy the hades out of them!!! :)

But wait! Does Hubby mean don't waste the time and go out and buy yourself new outfits? Hmmmm... just food for thought. ;)

That is EXACTLY what Hubby meant. I might take him up on an outfit or two, but I have old fashioned guilt about not getting maximum use form the older clothes.

It is a fact, however, that certain designs can't be taken in successfully. Pockets might get too close togther for example and on some clothing design deatils are just too time-consuming to alter. Sometimes former stitch lines are impossible to remove or the fabric is too delicate to make changes in important design details. (Excuses, excuses.:D)

I sew not only the majority of my cruise clothes, but clothes in general. I enjoy making up a design, then taking a piece of this pattern, a piece from another pattern, etc., and coming up with my own creation. While sometimes I can find a dress cheaper on sale, I enjoy sewing my own.

Memphis has both a Hancocks and a JoAnns. In fact, many fabric-aholics were in mourning last month when one of our Hancocks burned to the ground. Nothing but ashes!

I used to sew years ago. I bought Vogue Paris Original patterns and high quality fabrics - 100% wools, silks and linens. (In the 1950s and 60s, I was paying $15 a yard for wool and $10 to $15 for patterns.) I didn't have much money for clothes, but needed nice clothes for club luncheons and meetings. When I started working full time, I just couldn't find the time. Then when outlets became popular, I was able to find quality clothes at affordable prices. I still have a few gorgeous silks sitting in my cedar chest.

At the time that I was sewing, I was able to find wonderful fabrics. Since then, they don't seem to be readily available except in major metro areas since sewing except for crafts seems to be becoming a lost art. (I see lots of fabrics for quilting, etc.) At one time, there were companies that sold fabrics by mail. They sent out cards with fabric swatches. Are these sources still available?

Used to sew, back when I had time for it. Now I am too busy with many things. I find it easier and cheaper to just go to the store and buy what I want. Always find good sales and it doesn't take me long to find what I want.

Archived