HELP!! Anyone used a PCC?

Kancruze

When we got back from our 1st cruise on NCL last week, I got a call from a PCC at NCL.

She offered her services for future cruises with NCL. I got a quote from her for next spring but it seemed a little high. She said that if the price went down in the meantime that I could just call and she would adjust it down.

Is this true? Are there any advantages of using a PCC over a TA??

I have a PCC at NCL also. She has told me the same thing about the pricing. I have usually booked with a travel agent, but, did not feel he did anything for us..literally. I would just call the main NCL # and make my ressie and then call him with the ressie # and he would take the ressie from NCL and become my contact.

I also go on various cruise and online travel agents to compare my pricing. My feeling with booking with a NCL PCC is that "if" I have a question I can call myself and they will help me. If I book through a travel agent I have to depend on them to get my question answered. You know the saying...if you want something done right, do it yourself. That is how I am.

I will say this though, out of 4 cruises I have only booked 1 directly with NCL and I got an upsell. Could have been a coincidence ;) or just the luck of the draw. Whatever it was, the upsell was nice and I was a happy happy girl in the Penthouse on the Pearl.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do when making your reservation.

Been on 5 cruises, two more booked - all with the same TA- never used a PCC. My TA has beaten every price I could find for an NCL cruise (and other cruise lines). I don't worry about the upsell fairy calling - we have typically booked suites - so there is rarely any places up to go - so that debate isn't an issue with me.

But here is my question...would a PCC you have never worked with just randomly call to sell a cruise? Did you sign up for someone to call you? I find it odd that NCL is actively pursuing past cruisers to call and sell future cruises.

Any good TA (I would think) would give you a price drop on a cruise up through final payment of the cruise - if they won't, find another TA - mine adjusts down for me. That is what others have said on the boards as well.

But here is my question...would a PCC you have never worked with just randomly call to sell a cruise? Did you sign up for someone to call you? I find it odd that NCL is actively pursuing past cruisers to call and sell future cruises.

I got a call from a PCC at NCL after I had registered on their site. I was sort of confused because my trip was already booked and paid for. I'm not sure why she called. When I've had questions, I call the main number and the customer service people answered them just fine. I think it's a marketing gimmick to make you feel special.

I have a PCC at NCL also. She has told me the same thing about the pricing. I have usually booked with a travel agent, but, did not feel he did anything for us..literally. I would just call the main NCL # and make my ressie and then call him with the ressie # and he would take the ressie from NCL and become my contact.

I also go on various cruise and online travel agents to compare my pricing. My feeling with booking with a NCL PCC is that "if" I have a question I can call myself and they will help me. If I book through a travel agent I have to depend on them to get my question answered. You know the saying...if you want something done right, do it yourself. That is how I am.

I will say this though, out of 4 cruises I have only booked 1 directly with NCL and I got an upsell. Could have been a coincidence ;) or just the luck of the draw. Whatever it was, the upsell was nice and I was a happy happy girl in the Penthouse on the Pearl.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do when making your reservation.

Thank you. I worked with a TA last time and she didn't do much of anything as you say. I had to beg her to call NCL for price decreases and not sure if she ever did other than once when I went to her office and sat there.

In the past, the TA we used was great and really fought for us; however, she's retired. The industry seems to be changing sadly. But a good TA is worth her/his weight in gold! I certainly agree with you on that HMK8273.

Still I'm a little leery of using NCL. It does help to know that but with sparkylok6 and d man had good experiences with them though.

We use a PCC for every cruise. Anything I may want or need she takes care of. I have had wonderful PCCs, but unfortunately, they move on:confused: and I have to reintroduce myself and our wants to a new one almost every other cruise. I guess good for the PCC, not so good for us. I think you may get a random call from one if they are trying to establish their own client list.

Neverthought

is like comparing restruants. We have done it both ways, TA and PCC. We were very unhappy with the online TA, more happy with a local TA but prefer our PCC even though we have gone through 3 I believe. The price drops were not possible with the online TA, the TA was with our first cruise and we didn't know to expect a lower price. The PCC at least will return your call if you call and can't get through. We just like to go cruising. Pick out what you can afford and don't expect an upsell or price reduction. If it happens, all the better.

You can often save hundreds of dollars on the cost of your cruise by booking through a travel agent.

I can't imagine what a PCC could bring to the table that can offset that.

I keep hearing that, but it is counter-intuitive, like hearing you get better prices at a grocery than on a farm. The TA has to make a commission, so how can they sell below the cost of the direct vendor?

My own personal belief is that the PCC is just a clever name for a sales rep. I have had several cold calls from PCCs and I don't think it is ever the same one twice. That said, one of them quoted me a TransAtlantic price that was much too good to resist, and she had quite a few more in her bag of tricks that I would have loved to take advantage of too, if circumstances had not made it impossible.

I keep hearing that, but it is counter-intuitive, like hearing you get better prices at a grocery than on a farm. The TA has to make a commission, so how can they sell below the cost of the direct vendor?

My own personal belief is that the PCC is just a clever name for a sales rep. I have had several cold calls from PCCs and I don't think it is ever the same one twice. That said, one of them quoted me a TransAtlantic price that was much too good to resist, and she had quite a few more in her bag of tricks that I would have loved to take advantage of too, if circumstances had not made it impossible.

I owned a travel agency some years ago, so I'll explain how it works. It's quite simple and not at all counterintuitive. A TA can offer a discount by doing one or both of the following:

(1) Rebating part of the commission back to the customer. For example if the TA earns a 20% commission from the cruise line and the commissionable fare is $3000, the TA earns $600 on the booking. The TA can save the customer $300 by rebating half of the commission and still earn $300.

(2) Holding group space. When a TA blocks group space they will receive a free berth (technically for the "group leader") for every so many cabins booked (8 was typical years ago...not sure what it is today). By booking a paying passenger into that free berth, the TA can lower everyone's price by rebating the income derived from the free berths back over all the bookings.

By the way, large travel agencies generally earn a higher commission percentage from the cruise lines because they bring in more business...so it's not unusual (although it's not true in all cases) for a large agency to offer lower prices than a smaller agency, because they have more commission dollars to rebate.

You can often save hundreds of dollars on the cost of your cruise by booking through a travel agent.

Let me help you imagine. First and most important I continue to control my own booking. If the price drops or a better cabin opens up I can take advantage of the change without having to go through a third party they may or may not call me back in a timely manor. If My PCC is not available I can go direct to the Latitudes or main reservation desk at NCL. With agents staffed from 8am to midnight I never miss that price drop or choice cabin.

Upsell is another big advantage. Not that those booked with a TA don't get offers but those offers go to the TA and we are dependent on them taking the time to track us down and no chance to negotiate with the upsell fairy direct. Do you think if someone is booked with a mega online agency that the offer will ever get to them. Even if you book suites and I often do the upsell fairy is still in play. I have gone from AE to A3 and AE to AA and AB.

In my view I have the best of both worlds a dedicated Representative I can call or email that will follow up on longer term requests and the ability to fully manage my own booking.

As far as savings when I booked the Jade to Norway last summer and ended up paying just over $200 more then the best price I could find with a discount TA. By the time I sailed I had found $1800 in fare reductions including one for $800 that lasted for 4 hours the day final was due on the AF. My PCC promptly adjusted the price and I made final. Had I booked with the mega TA they would have wanted final well before that window opened.

There is nothing better then a good TA that provides additional discount and real service. There are fewer everyday as the mega agencies gobble up the market. If you don't want the "fun" of tracking prices and cabin availability yourself then a good TA is the only way to go. For me playing with my booking is one way to pass the time as I wait for my next cruise.

Booking direct is not for everyone but it certainly works for me.There is more to everything then just the price.

I owned a travel agency some years ago, so I'll explain how it works. It's quite simple and not at all counterintuitive. A TA can offer a discount by doing one or both of the following:

(1) Rebating part of the commission back to the customer. For example if the TA earns a 20% commission from the cruise line and the commissionable fare is $3000, the TA earns $600 on the booking. The TA can save the customer $300 by rebating half of the commission and still earn $300.

(2) Holding group space. When a TA blocks group space they will receive a free berth (technically for the "group leader") for every so many cabins booked (8 was typical years ago...not sure what it is today). By booking a paying passenger into that free berth, the TA can lower everyone's price by rebating the income derived from the free berths back over all the bookings.

By the way, large travel agencies generally earn a higher commission percentage from the cruise lines because they bring in more business...so it's not unusual (although it's not true in all cases) for a large agency to offer lower prices than a smaller agency, because they have more commission dollars to rebate.

this sounds great! but i do have one question (because i have zero knowledge of the "behind the scenes".

given what you have described...could we not conclude that with all the TAs that are out there...aren't they essentially competing for the same cabins? (using the group space method) surely they all can't just book a block of rooms.

this sounds great! but i do have one question (because i have zero knowledge of the "behind the scenes".

given what you have described...could we not conclude that with all the TAs that are out there...aren't they essentially competing for the same cabins? (using the group space method) surely they all can't just book a block of rooms.

Remember...cruise ships have been getting bigger and bigger and bigger over the last decade. With over a thousand cabins on a ship, travel agencies that want to take a block of group space usually can. There can be as few as 8 cabins in a group. I didn't mean to imply that all agencies do this, but it's not uncommon.

Let me help you imagine. First and most important I continue to control my own booking. If the price drops or a better cabin opens up I can take advantage of the change without having to go through a third party they may or may not call me back in a timely manor. If My PCC is not available I can go direct to the Latitudes or main reservation desk at NCL. With agents staffed from 8am to midnight I never miss that price drop or choice cabin.

Upsell is another big advantage. Not that those booked with a TA don't get offers but those offers go to the TA and we are dependent on them taking the time to track us down and no chance to negotiate with the upsell fairy direct. Do you think if someone is booked with a mega online agency that the offer will ever get to them. Even if you book suites and I often do the upsell fairy is still in play. I have gone from AE to A3 and AE to AA and AB.

In my view I have the best of both worlds a dedicated Representative I can call or email that will follow up on longer term requests and the ability to fully manage my own booking.

As far as savings when I booked the Jade to Norway last summer and ended up paying just over $200 more then the best price I could find with a discount TA. By the time I sailed I had found $1800 in fare reductions including one for $800 that lasted for 4 hours the day final was due on the AF. My PCC promptly adjusted the price and I made final. Had I booked with the mega TA they would have wanted final well before that window opened.

There is nothing better then a good TA that provides additional discount and real service. There are fewer everyday as the mega agencies gobble up the market. If you don't want the "fun" of tracking prices and cabin availability yourself then a good TA is the only way to go. For me playing with my booking is one way to pass the time as I wait for my next cruise.

Booking direct is not for everyone but it certainly works for me.There is more to everything then just the price.

I still enjoy the "fun" of tracking cabin prices and availability myself even having booked through a TA. If I spot something I call the TA...and one of the advantages of the large agencies is that you don't have to speak to the agent who handled your booking initially...the person that take the call will usually take care of your request. That way I don't have to miss anything either by waiting for a call back. So, I find I can get a lower initial price and have the opportunity to take advantage of price reductions. The one area where I do think you may have an advantage by booking directly with the cruise line is the "upsell fairy".

All TA's are not the same because they do not all do the same business. I use one TA for my resort travel. I like him so much I asked for a quote on a cruise, but it wasn't what I had hoped for. He explained that they don't do as much business with NCL so they don't get as high a comission, hence they can't offer as high a discount. He very nicely said he would understand if I go elsewhere and I did. Sort of like being a Platinum customer, a TA can be a higher level of agency with NCL and get a different commission structure. This doesn't address the group space method, but the commission issue at least. I don't know, but would not be surprised if those "platinum" TA's don't have first dibs at buying a group of cabins, but that's not the way my TA's have worked. And they have access to all of the cabins that are available through NCL. I don't believe in booking online without any human contact for some of the reasons stated on this thread, but if you find a good personal relationship with someone who works at the online TA's, there is nothing that can compete with that.

One thing I have not seen mentioned, I recently booked a balcony with a large TA after they said the aft balcony that I wanted was not available. A few days later, I saw a cheaper rate by an online TA and followed the booking process, thinking this would turn out to be a tease rate or no cabin availability. Well to my surprise the new TA not only had the aft cabin I originally wanted, but it was at a lower price than my original booking. I contacted the1st TA to see if they could meet the price and cabin and they could not, so I booked with the new one . I cancelled the 1st booking and got them to waive their $50 cancel fee. The new TA not only had the aft I wanted, but had several others that I would have preferred to the balcony #1 TA sold me? Stan

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree. Yes, with a PCC vs TA you can call and speak directly to NCL but you can get the same results with a GOOD travel agent too. My TA (even when on vacation) is never more than a phone call or email away. He's never not gotten back to me within 24 hours or less. A PCC is just a name........they also take time off and I guarantee you THEY aren't giving you their home phone number and then you're just talking to another drone at NCL who may or may not be as attentive as your PCC.

True that some TA's aren't worth the trouble.......but some take excellent care of their clients. I guess you gotta kiss a few frogs before you find a prince, and I would NEVER book direct with the cruiselines when I've got a great TA who's always available, gives me great discounts and HE does the work watching pricing for drops, calling for upsells, etc.

I agree too. However, in our case, we book at least a year in advance. The prices are competitive between NCL and many of the TA's I've investigated. So cost savings is often tied to "when" you book.

I've had a great TA for years. But in every instance, I could have gone with NCL directly for about the same amount of money. This year I found an awesome PCC. Although she hasn't given me her home phone like my TA did, I'll trade that for being able to negotiate directly with NCL.

But as a whole, TA's usually offer a better bang for your buck.

I agree too. However, in our case, we book at least a year in advance. The prices are competitive between NCL and many of the TA's I've investigated. So cost savings is often tied to "when" you book.

I've had a great TA for years. But in every instance, I could have gone with NCL directly for about the same amount of money. This year I found an awesome PCC. Although she hasn't given me her home phone like my TA did, I'll trade that for being able to negotiate directly with NCL.

But as a whole, TA's usually offer a better bang for your buck.

Boy you are misinformed.

The PCC will match and beat any price that a TA can get you. I have confirmed this on all 5 of our cruises with NCL. In 4/5 of the cruises a local TA had the advertised prices about 15% lower than what we booked with NCL. We emailed our PCC and she not only dropped our booking, but in almost every case gave us a couple of category upgrade and an OBC.

Say what you want about the PCCs, but in today's wired age, the TA is no longer needed in my court.

Boy you are misinformed.

The PCC will match and beat any price that a TA can get you. I have confirmed this on all 5 of our cruises with NCL. In 4/5 of the cruises a local TA had the advertised prices about 15% lower than what we booked with NCL. We emailed our PCC and she not only dropped our booking, but in almost every case gave us a couple of category upgrade and an OBC.

Say what you want about the PCCs, but in today's wired age, the TA is no longer needed in my court.

Boy I guess you told me! I'm not really sure why you singled me out, but I guess my reply was an easy target.

I didn't know they'd beat any price. I've never read that here before. In fact, I've only read that TA's usually have the best deals unless, like I said in my post, you book very early.

Good to know. Thanks for the "letting me know."

Boy I guess you told me! I'm not really sure why you singled me out, but I guess my reply was an easy target.

I didn't know they'd beat any price. I've never read that here before. In fact, I've only read that TA's usually have the best deals unless, like I said in my post, you book very early.

Good to know. Thanks for the "letting me know."

That'll teach ya to agree with me on something. :eek::D

That'll teach ya to agree with me on something. :eek::D

LOL!!!! Well we've already established how "misinformed" I am.. so I guess you shouldn't think my agreement is a good thing! :D

I have heard this several times, but I have yet to find a TA who can beat the price I found through NCL. I contacted several big on-line TA's and also one that has TA's competing for your business. I told them what cruises I was looking at and that I wanted pricing on a catagory BA Balcony. They all came back telling me that they could beat the price NCL was offering, but they were offering me a BE catagory balcony. So they were quoting me a price for the bottom catagory balcony and still was coming in at the price above the price NCL quoted me for a top of the Catagory balcony. Maybe a TA can save you a couple hundred dollars on a suite but when it comes to the regular cabins I don't think they are that interested in trying beat or match NCL's pricing.

I have heard this several times, but I have yet to find a TA who can beat the price I found through NCL. I contacted several big on-line TA's and also one that has TA's competing for your business. I told them what cruises I was looking at and that I wanted pricing on a catagory BA Balcony. They all came back telling me that they could beat the price NCL was offering, but they were offering me a BE catagory balcony. So they were quoting me a price for the bottom catagory balcony and still was coming in at the price above the price NCL quoted me for a top of the Catagory balcony. Maybe a TA can save you a couple hundred dollars on a suite but when it comes to the regular cabins I don't think they are that interested in trying beat or match NCL's pricing.

The higher the cabin category, the higher your potential savings are, for an obvious reason. To make up a hypothetical example, if an agency is willing to rebate 5% to you, and NCL's price for the cabin is $2,000, you're going to save only $100. But if you're booking a $10,000 suite, that same 5% is going to result in a price $500 lower. In fact the agency may also be willing to rebate a higher percentage on the higher priced cabins than it is on a lower priced cabin, so you might get 7.5% on the $10,000 suite and save $750.

In other words, the agency isn't making enough money on the lower priced cabins to give you a large discount.

I've found that whenever I ran into a problem, it was easier to deal with the cruiseline direct, rather than going through a 3rd person. I haven't found that elusive TA that you all have in your pocket (me hopes to find one , one day :)) , so in the mean while, I work with my PCC at NCL. He's saved me quite alot, and for that, I believe I'll stick with him.

Archived