signature express baggage service--vancouver

NoWhiners

Just got back last night from zuiderdam cruise through inside passage in and out of Vancouver We signed up for signature express service on Sunday (our 2nd day onboard). On Friday they told us that only my husband could use the service, for unstated reasons. Then later we heard my Mom could too. So we kept going up and down to front desk to exchange/get luggage tags or boarding passes. Then they only gave us one tag for hubby's bag and for another unstated reason couldn't do a second one.

we didn't like this but thought only having to move 2 large bags and small carryons would still be OK. Because they both had signature express, the debarked at a different time (45 minutes before me at 7:15 am to go to Vista lounge to gather and verify paperwork). I walked off at 8 am and met them just coming off the canadian customs line. That led right to luggage area, where--surprise surprise--we found hubby's tagged "signature express" bag:eek:. Then we found the 2 we expected to collect but not my mothers. The reps there first were sure to blame us, then tell us they couldn't give us a refund for the "service" we paid $16 for, and that we could stay until they unloaded all the bags to see if we could find my mothers!!! needless to say, this wasn't an option, so off we went to the airport with 3 bags and our fingers crossed on the 4th.

Got to YVR airport (where, by the way you can't checkin for US bound flights until 3 hours before your flight because they "don't want too many people on the other side". It took us 2.5 hours to get thru USAir counter line, US Customs line (where we were halted for about 20 minutes while they waited for the HUGE backup from security line to clear), and then finally thru security. Dragging our bags all the way up to security area!!) Had 20 minutes to spare before flight started boarding.

Good news--when we got home, my mom's bag was there! bad news--it didn't work at all for hubby and now we have to call HAL in Seattle to try and get a refund.

My advice--do this at your own risk. When it works it is great, but there appear to be some kinks in the system. it was a disappointing end to an otherwise great trip, and didn't ruin the trip, just made it a bit more stressful.

No flames--I am just posting our experience to help others who may be considering this.

ML

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the review. We will be flying out of Vancouver in August and I have been wondering about this service. I think it is really odd that only your husband and mother could use the service and not you....even if it didn't work as planned for your husband. Did HAL offer the US Direct that I have also heard about?

We used the Signature Express Service from HAL (which is their version of US DIrect) on Saturday July 4th and it worked wonderfully for us. There were three in our group. We all received our boarding passes. HAL gave us special tags and took our luggage the night before (we put it out just like everyone else). We didn't see it again until we arrived at or home airport. We met in the Vista Lounge first thing Saturday morning. Canadian Customs checked our passports. We went as a group to a bus. The bus was "sealed". We drove to the airport. Canadian Customs checked the seal, opened the bus and once again checked our passports and took our Canadian Customs Delarations forms (they just looked at our passports each time - no luggage inspections or anything else - just a look at the passport pictures). After we were cleared, the bus drove into the terminal area and we entered through an entrance just for us. We all were then sent through security (just the people from the buses - no "regular" passengers). After security, we went up an escalator to US Customs. Again, just a look at our passports and they collected our US Customs forms. The only people in these lines were the "expedited" people, so the lines weren't that long. We were at our gate by around 9AM for our 11:10AM filght. We had time to relax, get a bite to eat and just wait for our flight with no rushing around. It was wonderful and worth the $16/pp we paid to HAL. We also bnefited by being on United. They allow you two free checked bags pp when flying this way. Don't know why, but on the HAL form it lists the prices for checked bags. United was free, and we weren't charged (we were charged when coming from the states).

Hope this helps. I don't know why NoWhiners had problems. We were told that the airline has to approve who is allowed to use this service. I would imagine that the airline approved her husband, but not her - but why they don't approve certain people - I do not know. She didn't say she had any problems getting through Customs, so I imagine her passport is ok. They do take your passport information to get the approval for the service. Maybe it was just a mistake, but it would be a hassle if you are expecting to use the service and get rejected for some unknon reason. We were glad we used the service.

Thanks for the info on this program. My wife is on United and I am on American - I wonder if I can let her take both bags for free since I have to pay on American. This is interesting since I thought United charged as well.

DaveOKC

I wouldn't see why she couldn't take both. We didn't know that the fees wwere different either, but on the form HAL gave us, it said listed all of the participating airlines and their fees. United's was free for the first and second checked bags. I checked at the front desk and they said that the listed fees were correct. We checked two bags each (we checked our carry-on bags so we wouldn't have to lug them through the airport for our connecting flight - just kept a tote bag for night clothes, toiletries, etc and our camera bag as a carry-on). We were not charged - and were totally thrilled.

We also had an early morning departure from Vancouver (11:00) and had no trouble with the SEBS program and we were not charged for our checked bags (one each). We took carry ons with us and were very glad we did. We had a 75 minute layover in Denver before we changed planes to get to Phoenix as our final destination. United however sent our bags to Connecticut for 36 hours. We were glad we had medications, gifts, some personal & clothing items, books, curling iron, etc. with us when we got home that night.

I believe the security and transportation difference is that, when NoWhiners returned, US Direct from the pier to the airport was NOT running. It didn't start until July. We were on the Zuiderdam in mid-June and found out this status of US Direct from the pier via CC. I verified this with HAL prior to sailing. No information on the ship explained how all this worked. You would have to be really up on all this to ask the right questions.

This doesn't explain her husband's bags not going direct to the final destination. That sounds like a straight forward error on baggage handling and a refund should be given. We, too, had to deal with the long United lines, the three hour check-in window, and multiple lines for check-in, immigration and security. I don't think people were missing flights since United was expediating people out of line for earlier flights. It was stressful though because of the lines and the uncertainty. It was not a pleasant way to end a wonderful vacation. It makes me wonder how the airport will deal with the Olympics.

The bottom line is with Signature Express AND US Direct (port to airport) now up and running I would take it. It will cost a bit more than a taxi but worth the stress relief.

Archived