Anyone have questions about the Infinity sailing to Alaska?

pertfred

What ships tender into Victoria? I thought they typically dock at the pier. Did they run out of berths?

Can anyone comment on how many berths are at the Ogden Point where the cruise ships dock?

Per this web site, it claims to have 4 berths at Ogden Point. Assuming this info is correct, not sure why any ship needs to tender in?

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM3WBT

If you look at the cruise ship schedule, typically they have 3 cruise ships in Victoria on a given Thursday, which is the day the Infinity is in Victoria.

http://www.cruisett.com/ports.php?PortID=735&date=12

Rhapsody of the Seas goes in first at 9 AM and leaves by 6 PM. Infinity is there from 2 to 10 and Zaandam comes in from 6 PM to 11:59 PM (there must be some technical reason why it can’t be 12 midnight). If all 4 berths are operational, there should be plenty of space for everyone to dock.

One extra wrinkle to your schedule is on the day we are in Victoria, 8/20, Sea Princess from my neck of the woods is making her visit to Victoria as part of their 10 day RT cruise. She is scheduled to be there from 6 AM to 2 PM – the time we sail into port. So if there are only 2 operational berths to dock and the Sea Princess is running late in leaving, then your 2:15 window is very tight as the Infinity might need for her to leave before docking.

We ran into this situation back in Tortola on HAL. We were scheduled to dock at 2 PM time frame, but when we arrived at the port, the ship had to “chill out” few miles outside at the outside of the harbor waiting for NCL to vacate the berth as they were late in leaving town. It had no dramatic impact on us as we had no tours scheduled, but others had tight excursion schedules were sweating out on every minute of the delay.

So wouldn’t hurt to have a backup plan on your tour schedule in case the worst case scenario happens…

I believe the reason Zaandam leaves at 11:59 p.m. is that is when the day technically ends. If it was 12:00 a.m., then the ship would have to pay an additional port fee for that day...and so would the passengers.

What ships tender into Victoria? I thought they typically dock at the pier. Did they run out of berths?

Can anyone comment on how many berths are at the Ogden Point where the cruise ships dock?

Per this web site, it claims to have 4 berths at Ogden Point. Assuming this info is correct, not sure why any ship needs to tender in?

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM3WBT

If you look at the cruise ship schedule, typically they have 3 cruise ships in Victoria on a given Thursday, which is the day the Infinity is in Victoria.

http://www.cruisett.com/ports.php?PortID=735&date=12

Rhapsody of the Seas goes in first at 9 AM and leaves by 6 PM. Infinity is there from 2 to 10 and Zaandam comes in from 6 PM to 11:59 PM (there must be some technical reason why it can’t be 12 midnight). If all 4 berths are operational, there should be plenty of space for everyone to dock.

One extra wrinkle to your schedule is on the day we are in Victoria, 8/20, Sea Princess from my neck of the woods is making her visit to Victoria as part of their 10 day RT cruise. She is scheduled to be there from 6 AM to 2 PM – the time we sail into port. So if there are only 2 operational berths to dock and the Sea Princess is running late in leaving, then your 2:15 window is very tight as the Infinity might need for her to leave before docking.

We ran into this situation back in Tortola on HAL. We were scheduled to dock at 2 PM time frame, but when we arrived at the port, the ship had to “chill out” few miles outside at the outside of the harbor waiting for NCL to vacate the berth as they were late in leaving town. It had no dramatic impact on us as we had no tours scheduled, but others had tight excursion schedules were sweating out on every minute of the delay.

So wouldn’t hurt to have a backup plan on your tour schedule in case the worst case scenario happens…

One of my co-workers was telling me about her cruise a few years ago. They were in a race for a berth. There were 2 ships already docked and 2 racing "round the bend" trying to get to Victoria first for that last spot.

Victoria (Ogden Point) has 4 berths on two piers, but their own website says that the inside slips are too narrow for two larger ships to berth at the same time. Therefore, really only 3 berths. This year's schedule for Victoria looks a little better planned with morning ships leaving in time for afternoon ships. (with a spare berth for handling the late departure/early arriving ships)

Have a backup plan (two in fact - 1 public bus, 2 very expensive cab ride) We are not missing Butchart Gardens. My sister and I have wanted to see the gardens for a good 20 years.

105 degrees here today, wished I was on the Infinity - 53 degrees and cloudy in Juneau today.

I have couple of questions:

1. Does Infinity use new menus?

2. Was smoked salmon available for breakfast?

3. What was the best time to go to breakfast to avoid lines?

TIA

1. Not as of last week, they used the same menu as we had on Century last year.

2. Yes, and it was fabulous. I had it every day.

3. We never found lines to be very long, even at the waffle station. 45 minutes before docking in port is going to be heavier than almost anytime on a sea day, but that is just logic. The layout of the buffet handles crowds well.

4. You didn't ask, but DO NOT MISS the brunch (morning of Hubbard day for us). They do such a nice job. It's crowded, but worth it.

1. Not as of last week, they used the same menu as we had on Century last year.

We sail in six weeks. Hoping to get a stab at the new menus. :D

They'll probably change them out when they reposition her though. It makes more sense logistically.

I was disappointed to see the exact same menus as last year, but in truth, it worked out fine. I just ordered different items from last year, and it was a whole different experience! That said, the new menu does appear to be much more interesting.

Have fun, and don't forget to go to all the Brent Nixon talks, especially the first night.

We, too, will be on the Infinity Aug. 14th and we're so excited about our first cruise. We've traveled quite a bit but never cruised before and this will be our first trip to Alaska. I know there's lots out there about what to pack; but honestly, with airline luggage restrictions, etc., I'm a little perplexed. Should I bring long slacks and jeans or capris or a little bit of both. And, will it be warm enough if I bring a lightweight jacket, hat and gloves and rain slicker? How about sandals or will I need some closed shoes and socks? Thanks for the help!

We, too, will be on the Infinity Aug. 14th and we're so excited about our first cruise. We've traveled quite a bit but never cruised before and this will be our first trip to Alaska. I know there's lots out there about what to pack; but honestly, with airline luggage restrictions, etc., I'm a little perplexed. Should I bring long slacks and jeans or capris or a little bit of both. And, will it be warm enough if I bring a lightweight jacket, hat and gloves and rain slicker? How about sandals or will I need some closed shoes and socks? Thanks for the help!

Hi,

Wind dancer (see her post from above) and I and others are on the same August 14 sailing. You are welcome to drop in at our roll call board to discuss any topic and also through the link at the top of that page, sign up for a connections party event.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=945890&page=3

As for clothing, it’s hard to say as I don’t know what your tolerance for cold is. Everyone has advocated dressing in layers as Alaska weather is unpredictable. From my previous Alaska experience in 2002, it gets pretty cold at the glacier area. Don’t think you will need sandals outdoors on that day. But that’s not to say you won’t need them to walk around the ship during day time on sea days or might need them if you use the hot tub or pool on the cruise.

A safe bet is that it’ll be colder in Alaska than in Georgia in August…

Hi,:) just curious about your Florida comment. I live here too but

in my opinion Butchart Gardens is in a class by itself....I could not

believe how magnificant all the Gardens are there....no comparison

to any gardens I have seen around the state;)

Let me second this comment. We live near Longwood Gardens in Kennett Sq, PA, which are arguably the best overall gardens in the world. Butchart Gardens are so beautiful and so amazingly perfect they reminded me of garden scenes in Disney animated films. I didn't feel they were better than Longwood, or less. They're unique and well worth the time no matter how many gardens you've seen in other places.

M/R

Hi,:) I have been to Alaska twice and will be going again in September:D

I would DEFINITELY suggest bringing closed shoes and socks.

(The caps are for emphasis);)...I think this warm spell is out of the

ordinary. The first time I sailed there was in May and the 2nd time was

in September. I wore closed shoes and socks every day.

I know there are weight limits and luggage limits too but I guess I am

just low maintanence because I bring one checked bag and one carry on

and always have enough clothing without exceeding 50 pounds

in the checked bag.

Daytime I wore pants every day with shoes and socks. I prefer a

lightweight clog or mule.

Hope you have a wonderful time:)

As to weather, the one thing I hadn't thought through is that the ship itself is kept at a reasonable indoor temperature. Women in strapless formal gowns are perfectly comfortable in the dining room, and I found the dressy wool sweaters I brought to be way too warm to wear to dinner (leaving me with a fairly limited wardrobe for the non-formal nights).

Yes, bring the cold and wet weather gear. But remember you will also be indoors for much of the time you are participating in shipboard activities.

What time did you get off the ship in Seattle? Do you get breakfast that last morning? Thanks.

We participated in a terrific program in which they take your checked luggage the night before and check it in directly with the airlines. No need to wait for your group to be called or root around for your luggage. Costs $20 a person, and we only had to pay for one, as we only had two checked pieces and they were both going on my ticket (I have free luggage due to Delta status).

Since we'd done that program, we were let off right after the "walk off" people, about 8:30A. There were a ton of taxis outside the pier and we were at the airport well before our 11:34 flight.

By the way, ignore the many people who will come up to you offering a ride to the airport quoting prices of $50 and up. The flat taxi rate is $32 plus 50-cents per person above two. Those other guys are gypsies, and will charge whatever they can get away with.

And yes, they do serve breakfast in the DR and buffet.

Pattikakes- slacks, jeans and capris are what i brought. Dress slacks for formal nites, jeans for touring and casual nites, capris for daytime on the ship. the temperature onboard was perfect for me. i dont do dresses or gowns for formal nite, i am on vacation and dont see the need to dress up and dont need to pack the extra stuff. sneakers are fine in the dining room. i brought a good pair of boots to hike around mendenhall glacier- it had a bunch of rocks you needed to climb to get to the waterfall. you'll need a hat, maybe earmuffs, gloves.

Yes full bkst is served on disembarkation day. I got off the ship at 930am.

it cost me $40 including tip by taxi to airport.

smoked salmon is on the menu in the trelis restuarant everyday-not by room service.

Ketchikan- make sure you get the coupon book in seattle before you board, lots of free stuff to get in ketchikan. We rented a golf cart for $50 for an hour and drove around. Went to totem pole place and just drove around the rest of the time. it was fun, but the city is tiny and you could just walk it.Went to the library to use their internet. waited 30 minutes for slow internet connection-wouldnt recommend using their library. creek street, imo, is just gift shops. i had a nice time just walking around and taking in the sites, meeting the people.

Lori- Cypress Gardens near Orlando. And for the price you got to see a fabulous water skiing show plus kids can go on rides, and there are other types of entertainment. Besides having a lovely garden.

Lox were on the menu in CC and suites for room service - I had them every day last year in a suite, and one day this year in a CC. I'm sure they would be received if written on the regular breakfast menu.

The lox, or smoked salmon, on this cruise was especially good.

I was going to comment on the advice to underdress, but decided there have been enough threads about that to last a lifetime. My only advice is: consider how you will feel being in a casual outfit when surrounded by women in satin gowns and heels. Personally, I just take a floor-length black jersey dress, a couple of colorful beaded tops, and one pair of strappy black shoes. It takes up almost no room, doesn't wrinkle, and I don't have to worry about being out of place. Add a little jewelry and hose if you feel like it, and you can fit in without being uncomfortable or overpacking.

Hi,

Wind dancer (see her post from above) and I and others are on the same August 14 sailing. You are welcome to drop in at our roll call board to discuss any topic and also through the link at the top of that page, sign up for a connections party event.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=945890&page=3

As for clothing, it’s hard to say as I don’t know what your tolerance for cold is. Everyone has advocated dressing in layers as Alaska weather is unpredictable. From my previous Alaska experience in 2002, it gets pretty cold at the glacier area. Don’t think you will need sandals outdoors on that day. But that’s not to say you won’t need them to walk around the ship during day time on sea days or might need them if you use the hot tub or pool on the cruise.

A safe bet is that it’ll be colder in Alaska than in Georgia in August…

I'm a bit of a geek, so I've been monitoring the weather to see if there is a method to the madness that is Alaska's weather. Not really much so far except cloudy/rainy and around 55 in Juneau the past couple of weeks (on Tuesdays), but that could all change in the next 6 weeks. Prepare for around 80-90 degrees in Seattle and Victoria. Plan for very cold on Glacier day. (50's)

That being said, don't forget your swimsuit for the T-Pool.:D

BTW: the links for the roll call and connections party are in my signature below.

I was going to comment on the advice to underdress, but decided there have been enough threads about that to last a lifetime. My only advice is: consider how you will feel being in a casual outfit when surrounded by women in satin gowns and heels. Personally, I just take a floor-length black jersey dress, a couple of colorful beaded tops, and one pair of strappy black shoes. It takes up almost no room, doesn't wrinkle, and I don't have to worry about being out of place. Add a little jewelry and hose if you feel like it, and you can fit in without being uncomfortable or overpacking.

Hi, Donna.

My wife is in your camp of thinking when it comes to dressing up for cruises. She always have two long dresses for every cruise we go on. We dress up our kids as well and they grab all the attention at the formal night photo sessions. Here is an old picture from few years ago of my younger one in his kiddie tux on his first cruise when he was less than 2.5 years old.

IMG_2826.1.jpg.778d05617407fc020f9a26b93ca4d325.jpg

I know the coupon book has been mentioned several times but where in Seattle would we get it? We'll be in Seattle for a day before the cruise. Is there somewhere around the Pike Place Market to get it and also any advice about what to do or where to eat in that vicinity?

I know the coupon book has been mentioned several times but where in Seattle would we get it? We'll be in Seattle for a day before the cruise. Is there somewhere around the Pike Place Market to get it and also any advice about what to do or where to eat in that vicinity?

Hi,:) can't help you with the coupon book but I can tell you there

are dozens of places to eat at Pike's and near it as well:D

If you like seafood you will be in heaven;)

I'm a bit of a geek, so I've been monitoring the weather to see if there is a method to the madness that is Alaska's weather. Not really much so far except cloudy/rainy and around 55 in Juneau the past couple of weeks (on Tuesdays), but that could all change in the next 6 weeks. Prepare for around 80-90 degrees in Seattle and Victoria. Plan for very cold on Glacier day. (50's)

That being said, don't forget your swimsuit for the T-Pool.:D

BTW: the links for the roll call and connections party are in my signature below.

I have a friend that lives in Juneau. She mentioned to me that the weather chances day-to-day. It's all part of beautiful Alaskan climate. Just be prepared for anything.

And Seattle doesn't always have 80-90 degrees all summer either. But the weather should be fairly mild and comfortable.

Lois is right - anyplace at the waterfront in Seattle that DOESN'T sell good seafood won't be in business long, because so many places do.

We ate at Anthony's Fish Bar, right at the Celebrity Pier. Anthony's has three restaurants in the same building there - a counter-service fish bar, a sit down casual restaurant, and a fancy-schmany restaurant upstairs. We ate at the counter-service place and it was scrumptuous.

Also, you can enjoy yourself just walking around Pike's Market. There's lots to explore.

Here are our pictures from Seattle, including lots of Pikes and a picture of the dinner my parents and DH had at Anthony's. http://lachances.com/Lachance_Family_Website/Alaska_Photos/Pages/Seattle_Waterfront.html#0

pattikakes-you get the coupon book upon entering the bldg before ck-in. there were 2 people handing them out. if you dont see the helpers/workers/book hander-outters, ask around for the alaska coupon book. get one for you and another for your guest. i wish i would have gotten two. onboard they will try to sell you a $25 coupon book. i think the same coupons were in the free book because i saw people turning in the same coupons as i was.:(

i think you also asked about the clothes...anything you feel comfortable in will be alright on this cruise. youre on vacation, do and wear what you want:D

At the pier. My mom said that they are everywhere in the building.

Archived