Anyone have questions about the Infinity sailing to Alaska?

pertfred

You know, I didn't take any pictures of the food, although I'm sure that would have been interesting to a lot of people! Hopefully another photo buff will do that on an upcoming cruise.

I had many favorite foods, but in general, the special lunch buffet they had on the Hubbard day contained my two favorite items: teryaki salmon that was delicious, and these little strawberry cheesecake petit-fours that were covered in pink icing. I'm not kidding you, I am not much of a dessert person, and those little cubes were from heaven. They had the same thing in other flavors at the dessert buffet a few days later, but it just wasn't the same!

As I have posted elsewhere, we felt the salmon served on this cruise was delicious. I had lox every morning at breakfast, and it was superb, and my DH had salmon for lunch and dinner many days. Brent Nixon, the naturalist on this cruise, told us that RCCL has made a company-wide decision to use only wild-caught salmon, no farm-raised salmon. I think that helps explain the superb quality.

There is an always-available menu every day in the dining room, so if you can't find anything on the menu that interests you, you can always get salmon, are a NY Strip steak, or some kind of chicken dish. Also a shrimp cocktail and caesar salad and baked potato (and onion soup?). I enjoyed the adventure of trying something new from the regular menu each night, but the men in our group did retreat to the old steak and salmon options a few times....

I have been on 4 previous cruises and never thought to take pictures of the food. The best part of a cruise is the food since I am a food groupie. We've always taken plenty of pictures of the sights but not the food that I enjoyed. I already told my husband he has to bring more film for food pictures on our August 7th cruise. Did the canapes taste good? They look so good in your pictures.

I really enjoyed your beautiful pictures, they were so clear. What kind of camera did you use? Are you a photographer?

What excursions were you able to do with your husband in a wheelchair? I am taking a scooter so I am also limited in what excursions I can take. I will be in the same cabin you used. The balcony looks awsome. This will be our first balcony.

I have been on 4 previous cruises and never thought to take pictures of the food. The best part of a cruise is the food since I am a food groupie. We've always taken plenty of pictures of the sights but not the food that I enjoyed. I already told my husband he has to bring more film for food pictures on our August 7th cruise. Did the canapes taste good? They look so good in your pictures. I only tasted a few of them because I preferred the awesome sushi in the buffet, but yes, the ones I tasted were good.

I really enjoyed your beautiful pictures, they were so clear. What kind of camera did you use? Are you a photographer? Thanks for the compliment. Yes, I do sports photography and am a photo buff in general. I used a digital SLR and about 4 different lenses for these pix.

What excursions were you able to do with your husband in a wheelchair? I am taking a scooter so I am also limited in what excursions I can take. I will be in the same cabin you used. The balcony looks awsome. This will be our first balcony. We did fishing in Ketchikan (link to the boat on the picture page). Not sure if the boat can accommodate a scooter, most people take a manual chair for use in if possible. In Juneau, our whale-watching trip was on a boat that was designed for disabled passengers. The scooter would probably be no problem. I'd recommend you contact the two captains and talk directly about your needs.

I'm sure you'll love the huge rear-facing balcony. And if you read one of my earlier posts, you know that you will now have a brand-new mattress thanks to us and Cara the Asst. Hotel Director!

Have a wonderful cruise.

Hello, and thanks!

We are getting ready to sail on 7/17 to Alaska... I'm an avid digital photographer but don't want to bring my laptop for downloading. I've heard there is no way to access USB ports on their computers, but heard that there IS a photo kiosk up by the photo gallery where I can burn my pics on cd's (that I will bring along)... do you know anything about this?

Also... travelling with a 14 y.o. daughter... did your 15 y.o. enjoy the cruise? We are suspending her phone/text usage and she thinks she'll be bored... any thoughts/tips?

Thanks again - looking forward to cooling off far from Phoenix!

Hello, and thanks!

We are getting ready to sail on 7/17 to Alaska... I'm an avid digital photographer but don't want to bring my laptop for downloading. I've heard there is no way to access USB ports on their computers, but heard that there IS a photo kiosk up by the photo gallery where I can burn my pics on cd's (that I will bring along)... do you know anything about this?

Also... travelling with a 14 y.o. daughter... did your 15 y.o. enjoy the cruise? We are suspending her phone/text usage and she thinks she'll be bored... any thoughts/tips?

Thanks again - looking forward to cooling off far from Phoenix!

Hi, I didn't notice the photo kiosk, but I assume it carries a hefty fee, and I would also make sure that it will record full-size images, not "condensed" or "optimized" images that do not have the resolution that you have on your card (I had that happen once when I tried to get pictures offloaded to a CD at a local drugstore).

If I were you, I'd just get a large flashcard and keep the images on your card. I took 3.3gig of pictures (about 1400 images) at the highest JPG resolution with my digital SLR. You may shoot more than that, but an 8gig card would probably be plenty, and you may already have that much memory if you are an avid photographer. If not, check the prices - memory keeps getting cheaper.

Have fun, it's a great cruise.

Memory cards have become very reasonable in price, particularly at places like Costco. I always carry multiple small cards ( usually 2G because they seem to be the best buy) but by doing that I do not have all of my eggs ( photos) in one basket so to speak. If a card malfunctions or becomes damaged, I'm still in buiness.

Just a suggestion.

Hi there... thanks so much for all your pics and info - we are booked on the Infinity the week of August 7th - 14th to Alaska - really looking forward to the trip - however, I'm a little concerned about the high costs of all the excursions = any suggestions for excursions that aren't as costly?

We really enjoy having a bottle of wine with dinner = was wondering if we could bring some bottles on board with us, or do they check the luggage when boarding...

also, question about the captain's dinner - do you know which night they have this?

We are thinking of booking the special dinner for one evening and didn't want to miss the Captain's dinner....

and...what was the weather like when you were there?

Thanks again for all your info....

Michelle

There are may threads on this for cruises in general, but for this itinerary, my waterproof jacket and Merrells (water-resistant walking shoes) were pretty much daily-use items, even though our weather was actually pretty good.

Hi there...

How do we sign up for the connection party on the Infinity (the week of August 7th) -

and what is the connection party??????

thanks for your help....

Helene & bob

Use the link in my signature below for the Cruise Critic Connections. This is an on board meet and greet that Celebrity hosts if 25 people sign up for it. Last time I looked, your sailing had 24 people.(There is also a link at the top of the page.)

I'd also encourage you to go to the roll call for your sailing. This is where Cruise Critic members on your sailing are meeting, sharing ideas, planning, etc.

... thanks so far...

Will have a couple of memory cards, but will still make friends with a ship photog.

The big question at the dinner table tonight - is there a dress code for the buffet?

We're getting packing/clothes/activities organized... and excited!

Did anyone kayak in Ketchikan?

THANKS!!

Did you or did you notice anyone have the ability to take coffee/tea or snacks from the ship onto the land? Mostly I am a breakfast person but Vegan Boy is not, so if we could take a muffin or other snack for him to eat later it would be helpful. I know on our previous cruise to Carribbean/Mexico we were only able to clutch our iced coffees as we tendered, no food but wasn't sure if that would apply within the 50 states vs another country.

Did you or did you notice anyone have the ability to take coffee/tea or snacks from the ship onto the land? Mostly I am a breakfast person but Vegan Boy is not, so if we could take a muffin or other snack for him to eat later it would be helpful. I know on our previous cruise to Carribbean/Mexico we were only able to clutch our iced coffees as we tendered, no food but wasn't sure if that would apply within the 50 states vs another country.

I believe you are not allowed to take food off the ship but I am sure

someone on here will correct me if I am wrong.

... thanks so far...

Will have a couple of memory cards, but will still make friends with a ship photog.

The big question at the dinner table tonight - is there a dress code for the buffet?

We're getting packing/clothes/activities organized... and excited!

Did anyone kayak in Ketchikan?

THANKS!!

Hi,:) I think you have asked this one a few times;):D

Celebrity does not have a "regular buffet" for dinner.

They do have a pasta/pizza station and they have a Sushi area too.

They also have "alternative dining" which is upstairs near the buffet

but it is a sit down dinner, where you are served on linen, off a menu

by wait staff who are in training. It is a more casual atmosphere

and they do ask you make reservations. (You can make them the

same day) and they request a 2.00 per person gratuity.

Hi, I also think the food is meant for consumption on the ship, not to be taken ashore. That said, no one was looking in our bags as we left the ship.

There are only two ports with morning arrivals on this cruise (Ketchikan and Juneau). We did boat excursions in both ports, and the captains of each boat provided quite a lot of snacks. You might want to see what is provided on any excursion you are doing. Also, unless money is very tight, you might also want to think about trying some local food in one of the many shops near the dock.

I took a few sandwich bags with us on the cruise knowing that we were going within the U.S. Maybe a poor assumption but we often took a muffin or something from the ship as some of our excursions were early or long. We also had thermal water bottles that we took.

The reason you can't bring food off the ship is due to agricultural reasons. Some ports have people checking bags for food as you walk off the ship (or dogs to smell bags) and you could get caught. Most likely, if you made a sandwich and took it off the ship, you wouldn't be caught, but if you were you could face a very expensive fine.

Fresh foods can carry plant pests/bacteria/diseases that are not native to the area you are visiting. For example, the food may be loaded onto the ship in Seattle and then the sandwich you make is taken off the ship in Ketchikan, 500+ nautical miles away. It's possible one of the ingredients has a pest that is not harmful to you but could be potentially devastating to the natural crops in Ketchikan. The most noteworthy example I know of is the fruit fly outbreak in the 1980s, which killed off millions of acres of crops in California and cost the government $100 million to get rid of the pest. The cause of the outbreak was one traveler who brought home one contaminated piece of fruit. 99.99% of any foods you take off ship will probably not carry anything harmful, but it only takes one pest to cause a disaster. Please think of the environment before you pack up that snack for later in the day.

Pre-packaged snacks (for example: granola bars, sealed bags of trail mix, or individual boxes of cereal) are safe to take into port. So bring some from home or see if you can find sealed foods on the ship if you want to bring anything with you into port. Otherwise, you should be able to find plenty of places to eat on shore :)

Archived