Norwegian's policy on medical emergencies

Of course, everyone hopes this never happens on vacation and I know there's a doctor on every ship who handles regular emergencies. But what happens if you're all the way out at sea and need emergency surgery for something like appendicitis. Would the ship divert its course to the nearest land or do helicopters go all the way out to evacuate? Would the decisions be made by the ship's doctor or the ship's captain? Thanks!

The answer of course is the decision is made by both of them and the Coast Guard as well. NCL ships are diverted all the time for emergencies. Helicopter evacuations although rare are not unheard of. I have returned to port, made an unscheduled stop but never had a helicopter evac but they happen fairly often. The doctor diagnoses an emergency. The captain makes the decision to divert. The CG decides whether to send a helicopter after discussing it with the Captain and the doctor.

The CG has other mission responsibilities and the availability and the mileage is a consideration

because we seem to spend a lot of time in the medical center on every cruise.

The medical center is very well equipped on most of the NCL ships we've been on, with the newer ones being generally better equipped than the older ones. They can do x-rays and I believe that one of the bays can be converted to a makeshift operating theater if absolutely necessary (it certainly appeared that way).

However, to do surgery, one must have a surgeon on board. The physicians we've been privileged to meet (and I mean that) have been very experienced emergency physicians, one of whom had been a flight surgeon with the RAF. To a person, they are excellent diagnosticians, but that one doctor was the only one who I'm sure was a surgeon.

I would imagine that if one needed emergency surgery and the physicians on board couldn't do it, the ship would call for a medevac airlift out for the patient or possibly even turn to the nearest port with appropriate medical facilities. We've been on several ships (including the QE2) from which passegengers were airlifted to shore.

On most caribbean cruises, though, the ship is usually quite close to a port with a proper hosptial. It's when the ship in in the middle of the north Atlantic that the airlift could be a bit of a challenge, but that's precisely where we were when the person was taken off the QE2.

You didn't ask, but I'll say it anyway...to a one, the physicians we have met have been fantastic -- so good that I wish I could have taken them home with us.

Hope that helps

On our western carribean cruise in April on the Pearl there was a medical evacuation. The ship diverted close to Key West so that the coastguard could take the passenger off the ship. They seemed to be very well prepared and the cruise was versed on how the procedure should go - very smoothly and efficient - security was in evidence to make sure that other passengers did not get in the way. I would imagine that the doctor would evaluate the passenger, then notify the captain and the captain would notify the authorities. Our son had a small medical emergency on board the same night (his jaw slipped out of place). He was treated and returned to his room with instructions and pain medication. The cost was over $200, so we were glad that we had purchased the trip insurance (we recovered every cent) --- I hope the evacuated passenger did too - a helicopter evacuation is very expensive from what I understand.

Thanks everyone...since we are cruising for the first time from NY to Bermuda, it would be in the North Atlantic and I didn't think helicopters go that far out. Also, I was wondering when a ship is diverted because of a sick passenger, how does the ship deal with those passengers who get annoyed that their itinerary was changed due to something out of their control (there are always some people who don't understand--or maybe not)?

. Also, I was wondering when a ship is diverted because of a sick passenger, how does the ship deal with those passengers who get annoyed that their itinerary was changed due to something out of their control (there are always some people who don't understand--or maybe not)?

Simple the captain tells them to suck it up. They would not be complaining if it was them or a family member.

There have been medical helicopter evacuations twice on cruises I've taken to Bermuda. The ship started to head towards the US coast, then stopped and the helicopter evacuated the person.

On our western carribean cruise in April on the Pearl there was a medical evacuation. The ship diverted close to Key West so that the coastguard could take the passenger off the ship. They seemed to be very well prepared and the cruise was versed on how the procedure should go - very smoothly and efficient - security was in evidence to make sure that other passengers did not get in the way. I would imagine that the doctor would evaluate the passenger, then notify the captain and the captain would notify the authorities. Our son had a small medical emergency on board the same night (his jaw slipped out of place). He was treated and returned to his room with instructions and pain medication. The cost was over $200, so we were glad that we had purchased the trip insurance (we recovered every cent) --- I hope the evacuated passenger did too - a helicopter evacuation is very expensive from what I understand.

The Coast Guard doesn't charge you. Its already in your taxes....

Im not sure if the coast guard charges or not, seem like not but I remember looking atthe insurance we got for our cruise and rember that a helicopter emergencies was covered up to $50,000. They could possibly use private company. I hope I never find out!

Im not sure if the coast guard charges or not, seem like not but I remember looking atthe insurance we got for our cruise and rember that a helicopter emergencies was covered up to $50,000. They could possibly use private company. I hope I never find out!

private evacuation= the cost of medical transportation between countries ie. if you get sick on the ship and they discharge you at the nearest port on lets say Aruba and you need a medical flight back that is what is going to cost. A US CG helicopter will take you from the ship to a US port(or the VI's or PR) for free but if you need medical care in Miami from PR you will still need to be medically evacuated....

I believe the doctors onboard are trained in Emergency Medicine which makes them suitable to perform emergency surgery. The Medical Center is equipped with a small operating room. There are usually 2-3 doctors onboard. If everyone would remember, the doctors are also there to treat the crew along with the passengers...This info came from the dr on the Jewel last Oct. :)

I believe the doctors onboard are trained in Emergency Medicine which makes them suitable to perform emergency surgery. The Medical Center is equipped with a small operating room. There are usually 2-3 doctors onboard. If everyone would remember, the doctors are also there to treat the crew along with the passengers...This info came from the dr on the Jewel last Oct. :)

The doctors are trained in medical emergencies and can perform emergency surgery on board if necessary. They prefer to try to evacuate you to a land based hospital if at all possible. I believe there is only 1 doctor assigned to each ship along with two or three nurses. I'm checking on that info tho. And yes, the doctor treats all members of the crew while on board.

Just as an aside the US CG does not charge for evac. that is what your taxes are for, you run up evac costs if you have to be flown home.

Thanks everyone...since we are cruising for the first time from NY to Bermuda, it would be in the North Atlantic and I didn't think helicopters go that far out. Also, I was wondering when a ship is diverted because of a sick passenger, how does the ship deal with those passengers who get annoyed that their itinerary was changed due to something out of their control (there are always some people who don't understand--or maybe not)?

I wouldn't consider the sea between NY and Bermuda the "North Atlantic"; more like mid-Atlantic. Bermuda's location wouldn't necessarily be considered too far for a USCG chopper...they do have a pretty good range. I would imagine that if an emergency required an evacuation, a simple assessment of whether the ship should veer toward the US or continue on course for Bermuda to "meet" the chopper would be made.

I don't remember which cruise line, but a young person was evacuated from a cruise ship in the Pacific a year or two ago by a navy helicopter. They ended up doing the surgery onboard the carrier USS Abraham Lincoln.

I wouldn't consider the sea between NY and Bermuda the "North Atlantic"; more like mid-Atlantic. Bermuda's location wouldn't necessarily be considered too far for a USCG chopper...they do have a pretty good range. I would imagine that if an emergency required an evacuation, a simple assessment of whether the ship should veer toward the US or continue on course for Bermuda to "meet" the chopper would be made.

The hospitals in Bermuda are pretty good. Coast Guard helicopters aren't set up to refuel in midair(navy ones are). They don't go more than a few hundred miles off shore. The Coast Guard has planes that it uses for searches beyond that or asks for Naval Assistance or sends a cutter.

The North Atlantic is any part of the Atlantic North of the Equator. Once beyond a couple of hundred miles off shore you are beyond the range of CG Helicopters(they have to make it back too).

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/hh-60j.htm

says range is 300 miles off shore

The answer of course is the decision is made by both of them and the Coast Guard as well. NCL ships are diverted all the time for emergencies. Helicopter evacuations although rare are not unheard of. I have returned to port, made an unscheduled stop but never had a helicopter evac but they happen fairly often. The doctor diagnoses an emergency. The captain makes the decision to divert. The CG decides whether to send a helicopter after discussing it with the Captain and the doctor.

The CG has other mission responsibilities and the availability and the mileage is a consideration

We had a Coast Guard helicopter evacuation on our June 7 cruise.

This is a question I've always wanted to ask and thought this might be a good thread to post it on. What if you have an absessed tooth, break a tooth, or have problem with a painful cavity? Do you think they just treat with painkillers and/or antibiotics?

This is a question I've always wanted to ask and thought this might be a good thread to post it on. What if you have an absessed tooth, break a tooth, or have problem with a painful cavity? Do you think they just treat with painkillers and/or antibiotics?

yes of course and in an emergency a doctor can extract a tooth. Most have temporary filings as well(they are over the counter here). A broken tooth isn't a problem unless it exposes the pulp and again that can be sealed with a temporary cover. Once on shore you can find a dentist anywhere(and there is also a good possibility one will be on board...as a guest)

I am a retired paramedic and have talked to the ship's medical staff a number of times. Everything said is very accurate. I took some pictures of the Gem's medical center. As you can see the rooms are pretty similar to what you would see in a shoreside ER.

The last picture shows their well stocked pharmacy. Typically the newer ships have X ray capabilty, smal lab, Treatment rooms, a few beds for observation and/or care for "stable" medical problems. The ship's medical staff can manage patients while the vessel gets to a point where evacuation can safely occur. Today's cruise ships carry one to two doctors and three or more nurses, depending on the vessel's size. The lines look for medical staff with critical care and or emergency room experience.

I worked with an ER doctor here in CT who would apend a couple contracts a year on one of the mainstream lines.

662968387_December2007288.jpg.4288f754bd9881305be39794e6a78dc6.jpg

1845534739_December2007289.jpg.0dfb4402abda37756d2330586a90c3ac.jpg

415375898_December2007285.jpg.cce9c7bac3ae94d9539335da0981f01e.jpg

Archived