hockey parents and ice skates

My 10 yr old is very excited about the ice rink on the mariner. He just started playing ice hockey this year. He would love to get some ice time in, and bring his own skates. Is it worth it? I know the rink is small. About how big is it? Is it open limited hours?

My 10 yr old is very excited about the ice rink on the mariner. He just started playing ice hockey this year. He would love to get some ice time in, and bring his own skates. Is it worth it? I know the rink is small. About how big is it? Is it open limited hours?

Bring the skates, leave the hockey stick at home.

I agree with the others to leave the skates at home. My son plays hockey and he used the free skates and they were fine. The ice is available on a limited schedule so it is not worth the hassle of bringing them for maybe an hour the whole cruise. Don't forget to pack a pair of jeans.

Another vote to leave them at home. It is open limited hours and gets kind of crowded, so with all the other activities on the ship my guess is it is unlikely he'd skate more than a couple of hours. While the skates they have availabe on the ship are not all that good quality, they do work - so it saves a lot of space and effort to not have to BYOS (bring your own skates).

A dissenting voice on bringing you own skates: Your son will have more fun in his own skates - the "rental" skates really aren't the greatest. Also, there may be additional ice time open to "advanced" skaters who brought their own skates, and it would stink for him to miss out on that if skating his going to be a highlight of his trip.

Even though you can get decent speed on the small rink, I would be more concerned about the other skaters and what they are doing on the ice. I have seen more than one collusion and a few injuries. Just not enough room to get out of the way.

In the compass the sessions are divided so it there are many skaters the flow can be controlled.

For example:

9am-9:45

9:45-10:30

!0:30-11:15

11:15-noon

However one could actually skate for the whole morning..

Sometimes they include a session for those that are advanced or have their own skates.

A dissenting voice on bringing you own skates: Your son will have more fun in his own skates - the "rental" skates really aren't the greatest. Also' date=' there may be additional ice time open to "advanced" skaters who brought their own skates, and it would stink for him to miss out on that if skating his going to be a highlight of his trip.[/quote']

Thinking the same thought, posting at the same time.:)

OP... I see you live in CA, and most likely driving , I'd bring the skates...but he just needs to be careful with his speed do to the other skaters. I have had more than one skater bump into me.

My boy's at the time we did Explorer in 05' were ice hockey players (one still is). They were so excited about being able to bring their own hockey skates. Yes the rink is small, and yes, I tried talking them out of it, but as I look back on it, they packed them in their own luggage and off they went with us and they were glad they brought them.

Two times that week they even had a private session for people who brought their own skates, and there was a total of 8 people (teens). Not sure if they still do that, and it was in the morning.

If you know they will be taking advantage of skating more than a couple times it's no big deal to just bring them along.

The skates the ship supplies are not hockey skates and are hard plastic with close over clips so they may not like them.

Have a great cruise :)

I vote for bringing the skates. We had our son bring his but my wife and I used the loaners. They were pretty crummy and in serious need of sharpening (ie: no edge!). Sizes are limited too, so you may have to use a size that is too big or wait for your size to come available. We had a great time skating though and would certainly do it again. How often does one get to skate at sea?

I'm a figure skater and have been for about 6 years. I lugged my skates on an airplane down to FL. I'm SO glad I brought them because they did have a hour where it was just for people who brought skates. Also, it was pretty amazing to skate in MY skates on a ship!!! It's an experience I will never forget!

i'm a figure skater and have been for about 6 years. I lugged my skates on an airplane down to fl. I'm so glad i brought them because they did have a hour where it was just for people who brought skates. Also, it was pretty amazing to skate in my skates on a ship!!! It's an experience i will never forget!

very neat!!

very neat!!

Thanks! People always came up to me and we're like you're such a good skater! haha I didn't realize that people were watching me that closely!

On the way back home, I got stopped with my carry-on at the Fort Lauderdale Airport. The took out ALL my stuff, I looked like this :eek: the entire time because they were putting my special things on a dirty table, and starred at my skates in confusion. I had to explain to them that I was on a cruise ship and it had a skating rink.

I'm going on FOS in September, and I've decided not to bring my skates. It would have been cool to skate on the sea, but for the amount of room the skates take up in my luggage, it would not be worth it. If I was driving to the port, I would absolutely take them.

And just FYI, skates are considered weapons by the TSA, so you are not allowed to pack them in your carry-on for a flight. I fly to competitions several times a year, and I always hold my breath at baggage claim until my suitcase with my skates appears. My skates have been lost for a day once. At a competition in February, one girls skates did not make it, and she had to practice in borrowed skates. Luckily, her bag arrived just prior to the competition, so she was able to compete in her own skates.

My son just loves his hockey skates, so we will bring them. Thanks for all

your feedback!

Good call. I am used to hockey skates, so find skating with toe picks a little awkward. Others points about getting skates that fit and perhaps having a skating time that is less crowded add to the benefit. Even with all that, I thoroughly enjoyed skating on a cruise ship. I'm sure your son will just love it.

If you decide to leave the skates at home.....make sure the skates you get on the ship are ones without toe picks! My 8 year old hockey player this past year went skating and kept falling down and was getting very fustrated and blaming the ice, the rink size, his socks - you name it - it was just not his fault......and it really wasn't - he was wearing figure skates! So we just swapped them for ones without toe picks and our problem was solved!

Thanks! People always came up to me and we're like you're such a good skater! haha I didn't realize that people were watching me that closely!

On the way back home, I got stopped with my carry-on at the Fort Lauderdale Airport. The took out ALL my stuff, I looked like this :eek: the entire time because they were putting my special things on a dirty table, and starred at my skates in confusion. I had to explain to them that I was on a cruise ship and it had a skating rink.

I can just imagine the look on their faces when you said that! They were probably like ..."yea right:rolleyes:"....lol!

I can just imagine the look on their faces when you said that! They were probably like ..."yea right:rolleyes:"....lol!

It was amazing! They probably let it go since I look like I'm 12 years old and it was next to my blanket, magazines and a purse. As we walked away, my brother turned to us and asked why didn't they do anything about her skates, which have huge sharp blades but take small nail scissors away :rolleyes: haha

Archived