Ferry's in Fort-de-France

CaliforniaAC

We were in Martinique a few years ago, and I remember walking to town. We saw all the sights within walking distance.

This year we'd like to take the ferry from Fort-de-France to Anse Mitan. Does anyone know if the ferry docks are within walking distance from the cruise ship port, or will we need to take a cab?

Thanks for your help!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The ferry is in walking distance, I took it about 3 or 4 yrs ago & I will be there early Dec. again. Its a nice short trip & leaves you off near the Meridian hotel, plenty of shop & restaurants & walking distance to a public beach where you can have lunch.

• 3 weeks later...

We are on the Noordam and stopping at Fort de France in April 2010. This ferry trip sound really good. We are travelling with grand daughers aged 7 and 8.

Did the ferry run regularly and what was the cost?

How long did the ferry take?

Does it get quite hot in Martinique in April?

We are only there from 7.00am to 1.00pm, would that be enough time?

Thanks for your comments.

Mal NZ

We are on the Noordam and stopping at Fort de France in April 2010. This ferry trip sound really good. We are travelling with grand daughers aged 7 and 8.

Mal NZ

We're taking the ferry (Noordam Cruise 11/1-11/11-2009) while in Fort de France. I'll report back to you what we find out.

• 1 month later...

Mal NZ

We just got back from our cruise on the Noordam. The ferrys are very close to the cruise dock (10 minute walk). We took the ferry to Pointe de Bout and returned at 11:15 a.m. It is about a 15-20 minute ride accross the harbor. The cost was 6.50 euros per person r/t. The ferry (Madinina www.vedettesmadinina.com ) was very prompt. Please note there are other ferry companies and they do not except the competitions return tickets. Also, the ferry is there to pick and drop offf for only as long as it takes. They don't wait around. It is like a subway train. We saw an old man with a cane left behind as he tried to catch a boat (one of the other ferry companies). The Madinina boats were well marked and they had schedules posted at the dock in Pointe de Bout. There are other places the ferry goes to (Anse Mitan).

In Pointe de Bout, there wasn't much to do. Its kind of a tourist area but most of the shops were closed early in the morning. We did find a cafe were we had a pastry and coffee. It was pretty hot & humid. There was a small beach (unspectacular) nearby. It is an easy walk into town from the ferry dock in Fort de France.

My advice would be to caution against "cutting it too close" on the return trip back.

I went to a supermarket in Fort de France when I returned. Good luck!

Thanks for the information.

Is it really worth the ferry trip and stress?

Maybe it would be best for us just to wander around Fort de France, as we are only there for a few hours.

Were you on the 10 day cruise, what is the ship like and the other ports?

MalNZ

Thanks for the information.

Is it really worth the ferry trip and stress?

Maybe it would be best for us just to wander around Fort de France, as we are only there for a few hours.

Were you on the 10 day cruise, what is the ship like and the other ports?

MalNZ

Honestly, it's a nice ride accross the harbor but it's not worth the stress if your only in port for a short time. We were on the "10 day" and the Noordam is a wonderful ship (we had a great time). We enjoyed all the ports (St. Maarten, St. Lucia, Barbados, Tortola & Half Moon Key). I would recommend the "Sea & See" tour in Tortola. We also did the Queens route tour (St. Maarten) and "under two flags" (St. Maarten) which were very good. We went to Accra beach in Barbados on our own in and it was "heaven".

I would recommend getting a Fort de France street map online before you go. At the end of the dock there is an information booth with a very nice lady who speaks english. Armed with the map, ask her where (whatever you're interested in) it is located (she circled the exact spot for me-supermarket). This beats getting frustrated. If you're interested in wines, coffee, etc, this is a good place to go. For intown shopping, you'll need euros. Also, there are some historic sites (fort, church). Also there are some nice bakeries :). Good luck and have fun on your cruise!!

Hi Bob

We are going to St Thomas and Nassau (was meant to be Half Moon Key - a bit disappointed that they changed)

Down loading of maps at each port is a good idea, as we will not be able to afford to do shore tours at every port.

We have been on the Veendam, but the Noordam is newer and bigger. We have an inside cabin on Main Deck. Love cruising, can't wait. We are also doing a Caribbean Western Cruise on the Costa Atlantica - this was a really cheap cruise and the girls were free except for port charges.

What were the shows like and food, did you get rough seas?

Mal NZ

Hi Bob

We are going to St Thomas and Nassau (was meant to be Half Moon Key - a bit disappointed that they changed)

Down loading of maps at each port is a good idea, as we will not be able to afford to do shore tours at every port.

We have been on the Veendam, but the Noordam is newer and bigger. We have an inside cabin on Main Deck. Love cruising, can't wait. We are also doing a Caribbean Western Cruise on the Costa Atlantica - this was a really cheap cruise and the girls were free except for port charges.

What were the shows like and food, did you get rough seas?

Mal NZ

The food was very good. We opted for the 8:00 p.m. late fix seating. We ate in the dining room every night except once when we went to the Pinnacle. Your girls may like dressing up for the formal nights but every night in the dining room may be too much for them (almost a two hour dinner). Becuse we eat late, we never go to the late night buffet. Breakfast is great (omelette station, waffle station, eggs benedict station, great fruit, plus all the usual assorted stuff. Lunch usually has assorted entrees plus a "grill pinini" station, asian station, deserts, pasta station,salads, etc. There is always hamburgers, hot dots, sauages, tacos out by the lido. Do the girls like ice cream?

The entertainment had the usual HAL singers and dancers, a comedian, a pianist and someone else. I only went to see the comedian, who was funny. My wife and sister went to a couple of other shows and enjoyed them.

We had rough seas on our last sea (4-7 ft waves). They put the "bags" out my the elevators. It never bothers me but my sister got a little queasy. She took a pill, rested and then had some rice and chicken (recommended) and was fine in a few hours.

We really liked the Noordam!

Archived