marina

crestofawave

We as a family are split between Silversea and Seabourne.The children like the idea of the floating marina and activites there from. Could you advise whether this facility is whenever possible, only when asked or only once per cruise

We as a family are split between Silversea and Seabourne.The children like the idea of the floating marina and activites there from. Could you advise whether this facility is whenever possible, only when asked or only once per cruise

The Marina is not offered on all cruises. If you take a look at the brochure or the website it will note Marina Day *conditions permitting. As a general rule of thumb on many Med. and Caribbean it is offered once per cruise. It can not be promised as the conditions to have it have to be favorable to offer it. I have been on a number of cruises where the waters were too rough and so even though it was scheduled it had to be cancelled. It is not something that you can request.

It is generally only once per cruise..if that. The weather conditions come into play. If the seas are rough..they do not want anyone hurt..which is understandable.

We have enjoyed the marina on numerous Med cruises -- and even if you don't water ski or ride the banana boat it is great entertainment to watch while dining outside the Verandah. But for one day a week I am not sure that that is enough to sway your decision. But another factor to keep in mind that might tilt the pendulum toward Seabourn is thereare almost half as many passengers.

We have seen the Marina in use many times--in fact once-- off the coast of Italy Capt G.A. spent an hour moving the ship to find calm water--our young adult daughter had a ball--she circled the ship twice in a kayak--she was cheered on by many of the staff and passengers--got some beautiful blisters! Don

The marina is such fun. We were off the coast of beautiful Taormina in Sicily, Oct 27 2008.

The water was chilly but we wanted to experience as much as we could. We swam in 'the cage', went for an exciting ride on the banana boat and paddled in circles trying to get the hang of a kayak.

3133043836_1c54b139e8_b.jpg

That's Chris in 'the cage'!

3133039184_04f53ae7dc_b.jpg

3132221185_ab86ede5b2_b.jpg

Such a shame: More crew than guests!

Dan--You were on a 200-day crossing? Did the ship sail backwards or did you cross and recross--or maybe you were trapped in the Bermuda Triangle!

I wish!! LOL :D

Host Dan

Also the pools on the Triplets are in an odd location. They are not very large and while deep, there is no diving and I rarely see anyone in them. Sort of like a plunge pool, but certainly not entertaining, water-wise. There is a nice Jacuzzi in the front of Deck 5. The Odyssey pool looks much more inviting in the center of the activity.

You mentioned that the pools are more akin to plunge pools. Is is possible to swim in them. Will need to cool off in the afternoon in the med at this time of year.

Yes of course you can swim in them. The main problem on the pool is that it is located in a remote spot, therefore, not so pleasant as the one will be on the new ships.

You mentioned that the pools are more akin to plunge pools. Is is possible to swim in them. Will need to cool off in the afternoon in the med at this time of year.

The pools are tiny, so you can do laps that consist of 3 strokes and a turn. I think they are more suited for doggie paddling. And often, for some reason, they are not even filled. I have seen a swimmer in the pool, attached to a harness so he was swimming against a pull for exercise. But I imagine you will have had enough exercise exploring the ports. Also, you cannot even put a lounge chair by the pool because it's the passage way to the Verandah. There is a bench by the pool side, however.

The Deck 7 jacuzzis are popular and drinks can be served at all the water venues.

Perhaps someone will post a link to a photo of the pool.

The pools are tiny, so you can do laps that consist of 3 strokes and a turn. I think they are more suited for doggie paddling. And often, for some reason, they are not even filled. I have seen a swimmer in the pool, attached to a harness so he was swimming against a pull for exercise. But I imagine you will have had enough exercise exploring the ports. Also, you cannot even put a lounge chair by the pool because it's the passage way to the Verandah. There is a bench by the pool side, however.

The Deck 7 jacuzzis are popular and drinks can be served at all the water venues.

Perhaps someone will post a link to a photo of the pool.

Actually you can put a lounge chair starboard side, as the only entrance to the Verandah is on the port side.

Host Dan

Actually you can put a lounge chair starboard side, as the only entrance to the Verandah is on the port side. Host Dan

Oh right, since they closed off that entryway. Oh well, it's still very small and odd. Not that I ever bothered to try it. Of course, on one of the Triplets (? Pride), on Deck 6 on the way to the club, you can peek at the swimmers via a window. So no scratching in odd places in that pool.

Oh right, since they closed off that entryway. Oh well, it's still very small and odd. Not that I ever bothered to try it. Of course, on one of the Triplets (? Pride), on Deck 6 on the way to the club, you can peek at the swimmers via a window. So no scratching in odd places in that pool.

I once took pictures of our children swimming under water through those port holes! One photo of our daughter made it to the Club Herald (table of contents). Unfortunately I didn't win the free week....!

Marja

Crestofawave,

Anther reason not mentioned prohibiting a Marina Day are the local authorities. If the place you are visiting does not want cruise ship passengers water skiing, paddle boating, kayaking in their harbor or has laws prohibiting this, then it will not happen.

As far as swimming in the pool, there was a gentleman on a couple of the crossings that had a "stationary swimming" device which consisted of a belt worn around the waist and attached to the belt was a tether that he tied to the edge of the pool and he swam to keep the tether taught while not actually moving but getting his swimming workout in that way.

On one of the Triplets (? Pride), on Deck 6 on the way to the club, you can peek at the swimmers via a window.

Jane, you are correct, the Pride is the only triplet with portholes in the Deck 7 pool for viewing while entering The Club on Deck 6.

Archived