The Upgrade Fairy Just Called

wrighka

Just got a call from the upgrade fairy at Carnival! We are sailing the Destiny on 8/6/09 and are currently in an interior room on Deck 2. The fairy offered us a balcony on the Lido deck for $200 more. Not $200 per person, but $200 for both. Now I'm not sure if this includes taxes, etc., or any other charges he didn't talk about. Does anyone know?

I'd really like to take the upgrade. Never had a balcony room and it would be GREAT to be on the Lido deck. I told him I'd get back with him as I couldn't upgrade today. Due to state furlough days and my husband's work schedule being shortened, money is really TIGHT this week. I would be able to do the upgrade in one week. The fairy said I could call him back next week and see if he had anything left.

Opinions?????? Like I don't already know your answers!!!! :rolleyes:

if you can swing it, i'd jump on that in a second!

like the above poster, i kinda doubt that deal would be around for a week - that's a $mall enough fee i think lots will take it...

good luck! :D

Ok, upsell then! Whatever! And I'd sure like to take it NOW! If there's something there next week, great; otherwise I'm happy just to be going.

Luv2cruise - Oooooooooooo! You're on Lido!!!!!! Lucky you!

Kim

We were called, too! I turned down an upsell because I just knew DH would not want to spend the extra money. I called him at work and he said YES!!! I called Carnival back in 5 minutes.......and it was already gone. I will keep my fingers crosssed for you!

Ok, upsell then! Whatever! And I'd sure like to take it NOW! If there's something there next week, great; otherwise I'm happy just to be going.

Luv2cruise - Oooooooooooo! You're on Lido!!!!!! Lucky you!

Kim

It's our first cabin on lido! I'm so excited...hopefully you'll be there too!

I'm on the Destiny in Sept and am on deck 2 also, but I have a 1A with windows. I'm going to check balcony availabilities closer in (there are tons tonight) and if there are still a lot of empties, then I might call Carnival and ask about any upsells.

OP - I've always heard that you have to bounce on these upsells the minute you get the call, but it sure wouldn't hurt to call back and ask.

Hope you have a great cruise:)

afcj1 - You are probably right about jumping on the offer as soon as I got it. I've always cruised with an inside cabin, except once we had a porthole, lol! NOT worth the money if you ask me, it was right over the bed! If there is nothing left next week, so be it. There will always be other cruises!

Kim

afcj1 - You are probably right about jumping on the offer as soon as I got it. I've always cruised with an inside cabin, except once we had a porthole, lol! NOT worth the money if you ask me, it was right over the bed! If there is nothing left next week, so be it. There will always be other cruises!

Kim

Good news then, the port hole cabins are now recategorized as insides, not 5As, plus the ones that are 1As and already cheaper.

I had one back when they were 5As, and I guess we liked being able to see out and since we didnt pay much extra, worth it to us.

I understand how tight money can be at the wrong time. I'm curious if you are passed final payment date. If you're not couldn't they "upgrade" you and have an outstanding ballance of the 200 for a week on your profile? This could always be a way around not having the money the minute they call. Personally I'd jump on the move from deck 2 to lido deck balcony. Ofcourse I'd check the deckplans and make sure it's not over a disco or bar. (unless you plan on being in either place late at night).

For those who got the upsells, did you already have a cabin assigned before they called you?

We booked directly with Carnival and had our balcony cabin assigned when we booked. 2 weeks prior to our cruise we received the upsell call and we are now sailing next week in our first ever SUITE!!!!!

We had already made our final payment and have a room assignment - Deck 2. We're sailing 8/6 so final payment was due some time ago. I'm still debating whether I want to spend the extra money...we never spend time in the cabin except to sleep.....maybe if I was on a 7n I'd not think twice, but with only two ports and one sea day, I don't know.......

The muddiling mind continues to think.......;)

To the poster that asked about what they are doing wrong since they've never received an upgrade/upsell - Hell, I don't know! This is my first time sailing Carnival, don't know how we got picked. My DH wondered if they wanted more "inside" rooms to sell??

Kim

We have never had a call about an upgrade or upsell. What are we doing wrong?

do you book with a ta? it's not a given fact, but i think there is a higher chance to receive such a call when you book directly with ccl. again, this is not a given, but in the chance that when booking with a ta, they will call the ta first.

i think there's a higher chance when booking direct, because they CAN call you directly, and when they are offering upsells as such, i think it's done in a strategic manner to change the category (and $) of bookings available for a given sailing. they want to change those metrics / available cabins quickly. it's easier when you can call the passenger directly.

just a thought...

The muddiling mind continues to think.......;)

To the poster that asked about what they are doing wrong since they've never received an upgrade/upsell - Hell, I don't know! This is my first time sailing Carnival, don't know how we got picked. My DH wondered if they wanted more "inside" rooms to sell??

your husband is probably in some ways correct - in offering the upsells, they're in effect, opening up more rooms for less expensive, last minute bookings.

they'll take a hit to upgrade a booked passenger to a higher category cabin, at a lower cost, if they have an excess of supply.

it's easier to book new passengers at lower rates, last minute, than at premium rates, such as for a balcony.

specifically regarding your situation - if you have to wait until next week - still call! and if you really want to upgrade, call again, and again. at least once or maybe more than once a week - if you really want it.

people cancel / book / make changes all the time. if you really want it, pursue it. it's possible. :D

Maybe it is me but if money was really tight this week, couldn't it get that way again in future weeks? If you were happy with the inside cabin waking up this morning why not keep the inside cabin and save the $200 for when money is tight again or as the beginning to your next vacation fund.

I agree with the PP - if money is tight right now, then you are better off staying in the inside cabin. Cause you could better use that $200 - even if you have it in a week - on saving for your next trip. I think you made a smart decision.

Sounds like you're okay with staying in an inside cabin, with a super great attitude about it all! So have a great trip and be sure and let us know how it goes.

Just got a call from the upgrade fairy at Carnival! We are sailing the Destiny on 8/6/09 and are currently in an interior room on Deck 2. The fairy offered us a balcony on the Lido deck for $200 more. Not $200 per person, but $200 for both. Now I'm not sure if this includes taxes, etc., or any other charges he didn't talk about. Does anyone know?

I'd really like to take the upgrade. Never had a balcony room and it would be GREAT to be on the Lido deck. I told him I'd get back with him as I couldn't upgrade today. Due to state furlough days and my husband's work schedule being shortened, money is really TIGHT this week. I would be able to do the upgrade in one week. The fairy said I could call him back next week and see if he had anything left.

Opinions?????? Like I don't already know your answers!!!! :rolleyes:

Just checked....balconys on lido for your sailing are going for 562pp including all taxes.

There are 6 left. If you can swing it, I would grab it! I hope you get one, you will love the balcony!

We booked our first four cruises with a TA and we never got an upgrade/upsell call. Our fifth cruise we booked with our PVP and we received an upsell call from lido balcony to a suite. We booked number 6, coming up in August, with our PVP, but no call yet. We'll see. My point? I think you are more likely to get a call if you book directly with Carnival but that's just my opinion.

We booked our first four cruises with a TA and we never got an upgrade/upsell call. Our fifth cruise we booked with our PVP and we received an upsell call from lido balcony to a suite. We booked number 6, coming up in August, with our PVP, but no call yet. We'll see. My point? I think you are more likely to get a call if you book directly with Carnival but that's just my opinion.

Well, if you booked with a TA, Carnival isnt allowed to call you directly for a upsell call, they would have to call your TA, so I agree, its more unlikely.

I had my PVP put a upsell note on my booking in Sept, no call yet either.

Don't worry....you aren't doing anything "wrong".

That is why we call it the :

Upgrade fairy - when it is for free

Upsell fairy - when there is an additional fee involved.

They are both unpredictable.

If it makes you feel any better..... 31 family cruises since 1998 and we have only gotten ONE upgrade (the free one...which we took) and one upsell (which we did not).

Archived