Habla espanol????

The citizens of PR are not US citizens, they are not represented in the US government, they can not vote in US elections, and their IRS rules are somewhat different. PR is a self-governing unincorporated territory or commonwealth of the US.

You might want to brush up on a high school civics class.

In 1917, the Jones-Shafroth Act granted Puerto Ricans U.S. citizenship and provided for a popularly-elected Senate to complete a bicameral Legislative Assembly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_citizen

For example, for Puerto Rico, all persons born in Puerto Rico between April 11, 1899, and January 12, 1941, are automatically conferred citizenship as of the date the law was signed by the President Harry S. Truman on June 27, 1952. Additionally, all persons born in Puerto Rico on or after January 13, 1941, are native-born citizens of the United States.

Why wouldn't Carnival have salsa or hispanic entertainment for the local Puerto Ricans on board to enjoy? The ship is big enough for all to enjoy. It is not like the Holiday is sailing that route.

Speaking of the Holiday, I sailed on it in 2007. Carnival DOES tweak things a bit for the local clientele! Instead of the more traditional Caribbean tunes, the sailaway party featured "Sweet Home Alabama" and the "Mississippi slide". (By the way, to this day, I found the Holiday to be one of the most enjoyable cruises I've experienced!)

I think that having cruise activities and music that displays some of the local flavor of the port of embarkation, enhances the experience and makes the cruise much more enjoyable!

The citizens of PR are not US citizens, they are not represented in the US government, they can not vote in US elections, and their IRS rules are somewhat different. PR is a self-governing unincorporated territory or commonwealth of the US.

I think others have already answered you but I'm going to chime in as well:

• I was born in Puerto Rico and, guess what? I have been a US citizen since the moment I took my first breath.

• My passport states as the birthplace: Puerto Rico, USA.

• When you fly into Puerto Rico from an international destination (read: NON US destination) and clear customs, you'll be greeted by a huge sign that reads: "Welcome to the United States"

• When you fly from any US city to Puerto Rico, it's considered a domestic flight. No customs required. These flights are just as domestic as flying from Memphis, TN to Birmingham, AL.

• Although it is true that Puerto Rico is a Commonwealth of the United States, they are ruled by the Constitution of the United States. There is a Constitution of Puerto Rico, but it acts as any state's rules and bylaws. At any point in time, any local law can be overruled at the Federal level in court in the United States.

• There's NO president of Puerto Rico. The highest ranking level is the same as any state in the USA: Governor

• There's no representation in the Senate but there's representation the House of Representatives. Also there's an appointed Resident Commissioner for Puerto Rico in Washington DC

• There's no Puertorican money. The local currency is the US Dollar

• You did get some things right though: The IRS rules are different and if you live in the island, you can't vote in the Presidential election. However you CAN vote in the primaries for President. Both Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton campaigned heavily in Puerto Rico in 2008. Also, if a Puerto Rican born US citizen moves to any of the 50 states or DC, they can automatically vote for the president and governor for that state.

Just to clear a few things up, San Juan is not a foreign port. It is part of the United States and the people who live there are United States citizens.

So, you didn't notice foreign was in quotes?

OP wasn't asking about citizenship.....but, rather, being in "left field" because everyone will be speaking Spanish.

Don't put words in my mouth, thank you.

I don't know why it continues to surprise me ...... A SARCASTIC, NASTY answer to a question posted. All I was looking for was a simple answer to a simple question. But...NO! So, unfortunately, here goes my S & N response. Just FYI, San Juan is technically not a "foreign" port, but a U.S. port. And I was simply seeking answers with regard to the entertainment portion of the "Victory" cruise(since this was mentioned in a review I had read). I did not question the language nor heritage of its' passengers. It appears that you have no personal experience with this ship sailing out of San Juan, so I absolutely do not understand why you felt it necessary to pipe in and preach "life lessons" to me. I sailed the southern route on the "Adventure of the Seas" this past year. There were many passengers from Puerto Rico on board speaking Spanish, and I thoroughly enjoyed their company throughout the cruise. The majority of the entertainment on board was in English-- which I also thoroughly enjoyed. I was(am) looking for factual answers to my question from those that have actually sailed the "Victory" and experienced, first hand, the entertainment offered on board.. I am not at all interested in your philosophical ponderings. G'ma-I'm certain you are much older, but not necessarily wiser, than me!!!

Post Note: I do sincerely apologize to everyone for this rant. I realize I've stooped to the same level, and perhaps, I'm just fueling the fire. If I could have forwarded this response directly and solely to "G'ma", I certainly would have. I just get so darn aggravated when people feel the need to respond so sarcastically to legitimate questions posed on this board. You know the old saying: If you have nothing nice to say............. I promise, both the fire and smoke are out at this end.

Wasn't being sarcastic or nasty at all. YOU were the one afraid of being out in "left field" due to possible Spanish speaking majority onboard and wondering if that might be an issue.......

Folks with these type of "issues" should keep to English speaking vacations only. Most people wouldn't give it a second thought.

As others have suggested, you might consider the "ignore" feature.....

You might want to brush up on a high school civics class.

In 1917, the Jones-Shafroth Act granted Puerto Ricans U.S. citizenship and provided for a popularly-elected Senate to complete a bicameral Legislative Assembly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_citizen

For example, for Puerto Rico, all persons born in Puerto Rico between April 11, 1899, and January 12, 1941, are automatically conferred citizenship as of the date the law was signed by the President Harry S. Truman on June 27, 1952. Additionally, all persons born in Puerto Rico on or after January 13, 1941, are native-born citizens of the United States.

I stand corrected, Thanks Bob. I should have googled and 10 instead of five, I'm a slow reader. Some of the things I read pointed to non-US citizenship but did not explicitly say that. I drew the wrong conclusions.

I had to go to work in the fields the semester of civics class and I had to walk up hill(both ways) to go to school.

Archived