Habla espanol????

I was reading a "Victory" review recently which mentioned that most of the entertainment offered on board is in Spanish. I'm about ready to book a Feb. 2010 cruise, and I'm afraid that the extent of my spanish fluency is displayed in the title of this thread. Can anyone confirm this information? I don't want to feel like I'm in "left field" during the cruise. Thanks

I'm guessing you're cruising out of San Juan, yes? Lots of Spanish speaking pax, for sure.

I sailed from San Juan on Destiny and I don't recall any entertainment in Spanish.

I guess things could be different now.

I was reading a "Victory" review recently which mentioned that most of the entertainment offered on board is in Spanish. I'm about ready to book a Feb. 2010 cruise, and I'm afraid that the extent of my spanish fluency is displayed in the title of this thread. Can anyone confirm this information? I don't want to feel like I'm in "left field" during the cruise. Thanks

I have sailed from San Juan several times, not only with Carnival, but also with other cruise lines (Royal Caribbean, Cunard, Costa).

Although it is true that you will find more entertainment geared towards a Spanish speaking clientele, it's far from being MOST of the entertainment. The same entertainment that you find on cruises departing from US mainland ports, will also be found on cruises from San Juan but mixed with activities for Spanish speakers.

Going to the night club, you will probably find merengue and salsa songs mixed with your more traditional dance music. Also, the Carnival Capers may be offered in both English and Spanish.

For someone who is more used to the cruises out of US mainland port, the additional activities in Spanish may seem a bit overwhelming (since it takes them out of their comfort zone). However, the reality is that what was written on the review you read was probably exaggerated.

People who are afraid to get away from their comfort zone should stick to cruises that don't expose them to new things. God forbid that they may actually have to learn something new! :rolleyes:

I was on the Victory in March and honestly expected a lot more Spanish. It seemed like any other cruise I have been on. I kept reading about duel announcements (both in English and then Spanish), but there were not that many at all. In fact it seems like they only started doing any announcements in Spanish after we left Barbados (where some people embark/disembark). It really seemed like any other Caribbean cruise. By the way it was my favorite cruise so far. Go for it and enjoy the ports. Each one is incredible.

We were on Victory late April

and too late did we discover nightly? performances by a hot Salsa band (out of P.Rico?)

who knocked our socks off!

Salsa-125.jpg

These guys were in the Adriatic Lounge, all the way aft on Deck 5.

Seek them out if you like hot Salsa music!

I sailed on the Destiny out of San Juan. There were many Spanish passengers. Some of the lounges featured Spanish music and entertainment but not all. We had a good time no matter where we went and we don't speak much spanish.

We were on Victory late April

and too late did we discover nightly? performances by a hot Salsa band (out of P.Rico?)

who knocked our socks off!

Salsa-125.jpg

These guys were in the Adriatic Lounge, all the way aft on Deck 5.

Seek them out if you like hot Salsa music!

This place is hopping!!!

Funny how when a ship departs from a "foreign" port, most of the passengers speak a "foreign" language.

If this might present a problem, then perhaps an alternate cruise might be in order.

Look at it this way......if your cruise originated in Gdansk, there would be prominently Polish speaking passengers and announcements, if from Rome, predominently Italian dialects.

We live in a vast world full of many languages and dialects. Being exposed to some of them is a good thing.....

This place is hopping!!!
I'm happy to hear that, because we were on a special charter mini-cruise when we did Victory in late April..

- not the usual stops -not the usual clientele on board

so these poor guys were playing to a largely-empty room! :eek:

Nevertheless, they were still plenty cranking

and I woulda loved to hear them with an enthusiastic Puerto Rican crowd in front of them

and on the dance floor!

Salsa-127.jpg

We did the Destiny when she was doing the S. Caribbean. Frankly I remember the announcements at least the major ones being done in English, French and Spanish. But this was back in 2006. From what I can remember all the major shows were done in English at least the songs were. All the entertainment we saw was in English.. Funny thing on our cruise we notice a LOT of Canadian and people from the northern states, not to many Spanish speaking folks. Must have been the time of year we went which was in Feb. To me it seemed like any other cruise we have taken from the US.

If you are flexible you should enjoy the cruise.. We went to Italy and went to a jazz club. Didn't understand a word the entertainter was saying. But enjoy the music and his voice. To bad we really didn't know what he was saying probably would have added to the enjoyment.

Funny how when a ship departs from a "foreign" port' date=' most of the passengers speak a "foreign" language.

If this might present a problem, then perhaps an alternate cruise might be in order.

Look at it this way......if your cruise originated in Gdansk, there would be prominently Polish speaking passengers and announcements, if from Rome, predominently Italian dialects.

We live in a vast world full of many languages and dialects. Being exposed to some of them is a good thing.....[/quote']

I don't know why it continues to surprise me ...... A SARCASTIC, NASTY answer to a question posted. All I was looking for was a simple answer to a simple question. But...NO! So, unfortunately, here goes my S & N response. Just FYI, San Juan is technically not a "foreign" port, but a U.S. port. And I was simply seeking answers with regard to the entertainment portion of the "Victory" cruise(since this was mentioned in a review I had read). I did not question the language nor heritage of its' passengers. It appears that you have no personal experience with this ship sailing out of San Juan, so I absolutely do not understand why you felt it necessary to pipe in and preach "life lessons" to me. I sailed the southern route on the "Adventure of the Seas" this past year. There were many passengers from Puerto Rico on board speaking Spanish, and I thoroughly enjoyed their company throughout the cruise. The majority of the entertainment on board was in English-- which I also thoroughly enjoyed. I was(am) looking for factual answers to my question from those that have actually sailed the "Victory" and experienced, first hand, the entertainment offered on board.. I am not at all interested in your philosophical ponderings. G'ma-I'm certain you are much older, but not necessarily wiser, than me!!!

Post Note: I do sincerely apologize to everyone for this rant. I realize I've stooped to the same level, and perhaps, I'm just fueling the fire. If I could have forwarded this response directly and solely to "G'ma", I certainly would have. I just get so darn aggravated when people feel the need to respond so sarcastically to legitimate questions posed on this board. You know the old saying: If you have nothing nice to say............. I promise, both the fire and smoke are out at this end.

Funny how when a ship departs from a "foreign" port' date=' most of the passengers speak a "foreign" language.

[/quote']

Just to clear a few things up, San Juan is not a foreign port. It is part of the United States and the people who live there are United States citizens.

I sailed on The Destiny out of San Juan in June, 2007. Had a great time.

Was amazed then at the hatred and bigotry that surfaced over this cruise in these boards. Have never understood why but see it stills goes on.

In any event this is a great cruise. Can not wait to go back.

MexicoBob

I don't know why it continues to surprise me ...... A SARCASTIC, NASTY answer to a question posted. All I was looking for was a simple answer to a simple question. But...NO! So, unfortunately, here goes my S & N response. Just FYI, San Juan is technically not a "foreign" port, but a U.S. port. And I was simply seeking answers with regard to the entertainment portion of the "Victory" cruise(since this was mentioned in a review I had read). I did not question the language nor heritage of its' passengers. It appears that you have no personal experience with this ship sailing out of San Juan, so I absolutely do not understand why you felt it necessary to pipe in and preach "life lessons" to me. I sailed the southern route on the "Adventure of the Seas" this past year. There were many passengers from Puerto Rico on board speaking Spanish, and I thoroughly enjoyed their company throughout the cruise. The majority of the entertainment on board was in English-- which I also thoroughly enjoyed. I was(am) looking for factual answers to my question from those that have actually sailed the "Victory" and experienced, first hand, the entertainment offered on board.. I am not at all interested in your philosophical ponderings. G'ma-I'm certain you are much older, but not necessarily wiser, than me!!!

Post Note: I do sincerely apologize to everyone for this rant. I realize I've stooped to the same level, and perhaps, I'm just fueling the fire. If I could have forwarded this response directly and solely to "G'ma", I certainly would have. I just get so darn aggravated when people feel the need to respond so sarcastically to legitimate questions posed on this board. You know the old saying: If you have nothing nice to say............. I promise, both the fire and smoke are out at this end.

Don't worry cruiseawaits, this poster thrives on negative postings. I find this person's posts mostly funny and sometimes far from the thruth.

That being said, the Destiny and Victory have had similar reviews over the years, mostly positive, but some negative comments that you asked about. I think it is both a little bit of Carnival playing to the Puerto Ricans on board and some cruisers feeling out of place with a heavy passenger load of non-English speakers. Why wouldn't Carnival have salsa or hispanic entertainment for the local Puerto Ricans on board to enjoy? The ship is big enough for all to enjoy. It is not like the Holiday is sailing that route.

Cruiseawaits.....I am going on this cruise in April 2010. Would you please let us know (if you go) what you thought....

And by the way....That was "very smooth" respose to G-ma.....:cool::D...I loved it...;)

Just to clear a few things up, San Juan is not a foreign port. It is part of the United States and the people who live there are United States citizens.

The citizens of PR are not US citizens, they are not represented in the US government, they can not vote in US elections, and their IRS rules are somewhat different. PR is a self-governing unincorporated territory or commonwealth of the US.

I'm from Puerto Rico and I took the Victory last December for the "New Year's Cruise" and I can tell you that you won't even notice the spanish activities on board. Since they are few... Like 1 hour of the karaoke dedicated to songs in spanish and the rest of the night the songs are in english and if you go to the adriatic lounge you will hear a great band playing spanish classic's. At the disco as another person said you would hear few spanish songs mixed into the playlists.

I agree OP, what a bunch of goofy answers. When I read your question, I took it as a concern that many announcements and shows were only in Spanish. So yes, a legitimate question. Nothing asked about the fellow passengers and what it means to be a one language American tourist.

In our experience on two RCCL cruises from SJU - all announcements in English, with some of them repeated in Spanish, a few repeated in French (and an Asian language I am too Texan-ified to know which one it was).

A few shows, like Love & Marriage, had two showings, once in English one in Spanish.

Every ship and even each sailing can take on its own personality, but I say no worries.

The citizens of PR are not US citizens, they are not represented in the US government, they can not vote in US elections, and their IRS rules are somewhat different. PR is a self-governing unincorporated territory or commonwealth of the US.

The citizens of PR are in fact US citizens. They get US passports, which to me is the ultimate proof of US citizenship.

Everything else you stated is true, but you're wrong on the citizenship part.

I thought you asked a good question and thankfully you got some good answers.

The citizens of PR are in fact US citizens. They get US passports, which to me is the ultimate proof of US citizenship.

Everything else you stated is true, but you're wrong on the citizenship part.

I am also in CT . You are correct about the passports.

In the city I work in (one of "THE BIG 3") They fly back and forth from here to PR like you and I go to the bathroom.

Thanks to everyone for the support and for "REAL" answers to my question. I'm really leaning towards booking the "Victory", concern is being able to survive the port intensive itinerary, versus the "Adventure of the Seas". I am certain that I will be sailing some ship since I've already purchased air(couldn't pass on a great non-stop from JFK). The price difference between the two ships is significant. Since there will be 4 of us sailing, all on my $, the "Victory" seems the way to go. From all the reviews I've read on this board, she seems to be a good choice. Any further reviews/opinions on the "Victory" would be greatly appreciated.

HAPPY "Fourth of July"!

Thanks to everyone for the support and for "REAL" answers to my question. I'm really leaning towards booking the "Victory", concern is being able to survive the port intensive itinerary, versus the "Adventure of the Seas". I am certain that I will be sailing some ship since I've already purchased air(couldn't pass on a great non-stop from JFK). The price difference between the two ships is significant. Since there will be 4 of us sailing, all on my $, the "Victory" seems the way to go. From all the reviews I've read on this board, she seems to be a good choice. Any further reviews/opinions on the "Victory" would be greatly appreciated.

HAPPY "Fourth of July"!

Been on both cruises since San Juan is my home port. I prefer the Victory any day over the Adventure of the Seas.

Don't worry cruiseawaits, this poster thrives on negative postings. I find this person's posts mostly funny and sometimes far from the thruth.

Did you know you can put people who iritate you on your ignore list? Just go to User CP / Edit Ignore List. After that when they post all you will see is a note that says:

This message is hidden because SATXLady is on your ignore list.

It sure helps keep my blood pressure down for posters whose postings irritate me on a regular basis.

Archived